★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Best and worst controls?

06-12-2009, 03:06 PM
Best and worst controls?

Satisfying controls are very important for the continued enjoyment of a game. This is seen very clearly in the app store, where developers have to deal with the peculiarities of the idevice's hardware. Some games try to copy interfaces and controls directly from other hardware, and end up sinking an otherwise good game. Otherwise average games implement good controls, and are suddenly a lot of fun.

In your opinion, which games have the best controls, and the worst controls, among those you have played from the app store?

This is quite apart from the quality of the rest of the game. An excellent game can have horrible controls, and a boring game can have excellent controls.

I'll get the ball rolling...

Best controls:

Pathpix
Peggle
Exorcist
Sky Burger
Card Ninja
iFighter
Snail Mail

Worst controls:

Tower of Souls
Sketch Dungeon
Zenonia
06-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Best Control:
Space Ninja

Worst Control:
Underworlds

Current: iPhone 6S, new 3DS, Vita

06-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Zenonia? How do you figure that Zenonia has the worst controls? I find them just fine. They're actually petty easy to use.

GameCenter: xVietx - Add me
Sorry, I'm dead.
06-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xVietx View Post
Zenonia? How do you figure that Zenonia has the worst controls? I find them just fine. They're actually petty easy to use.
The d-pad, mostly. In all my time spent playing the game, I felt I was fighting against the interface, not the critters.

Moreover, the menus are of exceptionally poor design. I'm sure they worked well on mobile phones, but there did not seem to be any attempt made to accomodate them to the idevice.

To forestall the obvious retorts... I've been playing video games since the mid eighties, I play the piano, and I touch-type at 110 WPM, so I don't think there's anything wrong with my manual dexterity.

Zenonia looks like a fantastic game, and I am very much looking forward to the recently-submitted update. There's nothing I'd like more with regards to that game than to be able to sit back and enjoy what looks like a beautiful, polished, deep (by app store standards) experience.

At the moment, with the present, non-updated controls, that just isn't happening.
06-12-2009, 03:30 PM
So far, I think the game is alright, if overpriced, and teh control isn't what I'd call bad, but "Challenging"

Moon Dancer

It's Bionic Commando with tilt control.
06-12-2009, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciuridae View Post
The d-pad, mostly. In all my time spent playing the game, I felt I was fighting against the interface, not the critters.

Moreover, the menus are of exceptionally poor design. I'm sure they worked well on mobile phones, but there did not seem to be any attempt made to accomodate them to the idevice.

To forestall the obvious retorts... I've been playing video games since the mid eighties, I play the piano, and I touch-type at 110 WPM, so I don't think there's anything wrong with my manual dexterity.

Zenonia looks like a fantastic game, and I am very much looking forward to the recently-submitted update. There's nothing I'd like more with regards to that game than to be able to sit back and enjoy what looks like a beautiful, polished, deep (by app store standards) experience.

At the moment, with the present, non-updated controls, that just isn't happening.
Couldn't agree more. Wonderfully explained and exactly how I feel.
06-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Oh, now that you mention it, I do have problems with the menu. Not so much with the joystick while playing. Just the menu though. Gamevil has said that it's been fixed in the newest update.

GameCenter: xVietx - Add me
Sorry, I'm dead.
06-12-2009, 06:02 PM
I think one of the worst games controls were Rolando and Enigmo. In my Opinion. Those controls just didn't gel for me.

Quote:
and lastly we have the abu sayaf and MILF, two terrorist factions in the Philippines, and ivé yet to see any fruits of labor from the government concerning these terrorist threats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBG View Post
There's a MILF terrorist faction? Awesome! Sign me up.
06-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Well, it just didn't feel right for me. Having to turn, draw, roll everywhere, it's just not for me. Enigmo was just crazy hard for me, I was dragging a tool to win the game and it dragged out the wrong one! I've hated it ever since.

Quote:
and lastly we have the abu sayaf and MILF, two terrorist factions in the Philippines, and ivé yet to see any fruits of labor from the government concerning these terrorist threats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBG View Post
There's a MILF terrorist faction? Awesome! Sign me up.
06-12-2009, 08:27 PM
In terms of best controls, I have to mention iFPS 1.1 for showing online multiplayer fps action can work on the iPhone