★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Embargo pirates / naval battle game

06-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Embargo pirates / naval battle game

I didn't see any discussion on this when I searched, so I thought I'd throw it out there:

Embargo $1.99 AppShopper link

Has anyone looked at this one yet? Is it any good? I'm a fan of Sid Meier's Pirates, not sure if this is anything like that.

Video games and apps reviewed at News Shopper, a newspaper site in London, England. I'm manager of this site, which gets more than 1.4 million page impressions a month. Any devs wanting your games reviewed, please contact me. (I have a US iTunes account)
06-12-2009, 04:09 PM

Youtube link | Pop Up

(We use BBCode in these forums :P)

I saw this awhile back, but it didn't interest me.

06-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Thanks Seishu, I slightly messed up putting the video in

Video games and apps reviewed at News Shopper, a newspaper site in London, England. I'm manager of this site, which gets more than 1.4 million page impressions a month. Any devs wanting your games reviewed, please contact me. (I have a US iTunes account)
06-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Nice find.
I am a big fan of Sid Meiers Pirates on the PSP, but sadly, there have been no App Store equivalents yet. It does look good, but from what I can see, it is just another sea battle sim, like 'Warship' and doesn't included any land or trading.

Hakuna Matata
06-12-2009, 04:24 PM
Looks good. Anyone want to TOFTT? I would but my store credit has like $0.46 or so left. D:

GameCenter: xVietx - Add me
Sorry, I'm dead.
06-12-2009, 04:27 PM
TOFTT now. be back in a while.

Check us out in the new book 500 Things to Eat Before its too Late by James Beard Lifetime Achievment Award Winners and Authors of the Roadfood column in Gourmet Magazine, Jane and Michael Stern. This is BIG people!!
Read About us in the SJ Mercury News
06-12-2009, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLightJerky View Post
TOFTT now. be back in a while.

Can't wait for impressions.

06-12-2009, 04:32 PM
I actually tried this a few days ago. Note that I did not write a review.

It's strictly two warships out at sea, and you can pick from a variety of countries to represent and the flag will on the ship. The game is a bit one dimensional in that its two ships going after each other. The controls are strictly tilt for steering and specific buttons for port and aft cannon shooting.

There's a camera view that will zoom in on the ships and the pirates as they laugh which thankfully you can turn off. The pirates "Arrggghh!" gets kind of annoying after a while, at least for me.

I tried to get into it but after a few battles, it was kind of ho-hum for me. I'm sure others may like it...it just wasn't for me.
06-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Albie View Post
I actually tried this a few days ago. Note that I did not write a review.

It's strictly two warships out at sea, and you can pick from a variety of countries to represent and the flag will on the ship. The game is a bit one dimensional in that its two ships going after each other. The controls are strictly tilt for steering and specific buttons for port and aft cannon shooting.

There's a camera view that will zoom in on the ships and the pirates as they laugh which thankfully you can turn off. The pirates "Arrggghh!" gets kind of annoying after a while, at least for me.

I tried to get into it but after a few battles, it was kind of ho-hum for me. I'm sure others may like it...it just wasn't for me.
Yay. It's a Big Albie Short Review! What's it on the B.A.M.? 3/5?

GameCenter: xVietx - Add me
Sorry, I'm dead.
06-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xVietx View Post
Yay. It's a Big Albie Short Review! What's it on the B.A.M.? 3/5?
Are you trying to tell me something about my reviews?

The 3D graphics are decent, and watching a ship on fire is interesting. The gameplay though can get repetitive quickly. It's a 3 on my meter, but the potential is there is they want to expand this a bit with a resource management aspect.