★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Hidden Games
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 22.7 MB
  • Version: 4.2
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Air Cadets is a fun 3D arcade flying game where you can climb, dive, twist and turn one of three aircraft around 8 unique maps.

With three different game modes to choose from you can race against the clock in Time Attack, search and destroy targets in Target Practice or fly freely around at your leisure in Free Flight.

Please note that for optimal performance, we recommend re-booting your device after downloading and closing other applications when playing Air Cadets.

FEATURES:

- 3 aircraft to choose from, each with their own handling characteristics
- 56 levels which take place across 8 unique maps
- 3 game modes: Free Flight, Target Practice and Time Attack
- Support for HD quality / Retina resolutions (iPhone 5 and iPod touch (5th gen) ready)
- Supports all generations of iPhone, iPod touch and iPads (running iOS 4.3+)
- Languages supported English and Spanish
- 64 bit native support

HiddenJ's comments:
Hi all,

After doing HD/Retina updates to Prisoner 84 and Cabby we decided we couldn't just stop there and have gone ahead and updated our first iOS game Air Cadets which we released back in November 2008.

This game has been a little broken with the release of various new devices and it's something we kind of let die and it's been a bit of a sore spot for us, because we love aircraft/flying games.

The good news is, we've passed at Apple today and the new version is live.

The update has a few new bits such as....

* 8 new gigantic landscapes to fly around
* New game modes, including Target Practice
* New analogue controls for more precision
* Time of day and weather changes
* Added (100) achievements and Game Center support
* New and improved UI for all versions
* Added playlist support so you can listen to your own music while you play
* New universal build (support for iPhone 5 / iPod touch 5th gen widescreen resolution)
* Multitask support
* Spanish translation

... and the whole game is just better all round, plus it's still FREE!!

Screenshots (Click for bigger)

Video

App

So if you're into your flying games and want to explore, discover and earn some achievements, why not give it a shot.

Any questions/comments just fire away
09-25-2012, 05:20 AM
Now that the blurb is all up to date a quick bit of extra detail about some things we've done to the game...

It's now a universal build supporting the full resolution on all devices, this also includes the new iPhone 5/iPod touch widescreen resolution.

If you're someone who still has the older devices such as the 1st/2nd gen iPhone/iPod touches - we still support them and you only miss out on some effects and tweaks to the draw distances. It supports all the way back to OS 3.1 but obviously on that you won't be able to use GameCenter to try and get the 100 achievements we've put in.

Technology wise the game has some scalable parts, so the better the device the better it looks - the new iPad and the latest iPhone 5/iPod touch would be the definitive versions as you get all effects, the best draw distance and things like the tree counts are at their maximum on those devices.

Hidden Games - The Coder Bloke
Games: AirCadets / Cabby / Prisoner 84 / Firewall
Hidden Games Web | Facebook | Twitter

09-25-2012, 05:24 AM
Must have missed this game ages ago. From the video it looks great, like the controls, just downloading now. Looking forward to trying this out later
09-25-2012, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Must have missed this game ages ago. From the video it looks great, like the controls, just downloading now. Looking forward to trying this out later
Good stuff, let me know what you think. The original game was pretty old - I think TA may have been fairly new and I never knew about here until our later projects - only took 4 years for this update

09-26-2012, 07:16 AM
The Basics are there but the Game is missing a Story Plot similar to Chillingo`s Air Mail to keep me playing it more then a few Minutes.

Last edited by Sanuku; 09-28-2012 at 06:48 AM.
09-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanuku View Post
The Basics are there but the Game is missing a Story Plot similar to Chillingo`s Air Mail to keep me playing it more then a few Minutes.
We had an option to go the story route with the update but we decided to go against it because we thought that all that would happen is we would end up doing various A to B missions which would force the player too much.

The direction we went was more exploration and discovery with a few traditional modes such as the target shooting and the ring routes.

I think with flight games you do get those people that want the missions and some objectives that test your flying abilities in dogfights ...which I think you find in a lot of iOS flying games like FAST, Top Gun etc do. Other people just want the freedom to just fly around do a few things under their own impetus, which is why we created the large landscapes with various places to find or allow you to fly through a barn that you may spot and earn a few achievements on your travels.

Air Cadets is a little more pick up and play for a few minutes than a lot of time invested in starting and completing missions, each ring circuit and the target layouts are built so you can do a quick run and get a high score or spot something new in a few minutes, then you get the option to free fly.

I understand though that a story would be cool. It just wasn't in our plans originally.

09-28-2012, 06:01 AM
Ahh just spotted your other gameplay video Sanuku...

I'll place it here as it does show more in depth gameplay than the trailer, I assume it's running on the iPad 3 from the looks of the effects and tree counts.

09-28-2012, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenJ View Post
Ahh just spotted your other gameplay video Sanuku...

I'll place it here as it does show more in depth gameplay than the trailer, I assume it's running on the iPad 3 from the looks of the effects and tree counts.
You are right. I linked to the wrong Video. Indeed it`s even the same like yours. I`ll remove it.