Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 09-27-2012, 09:39 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

While I do agree the campaign is too easy considering its length - assuming it's four books long I really think things should be harder by the half way mark - I'm curious if people complaining you can beat it by going whack, whack, whack have tried Eternal mode much? Because I cannot beat even the first boss that appears reliably by doing that, and again, blocking does not work properly. There is no logical visual cue to tell you when to block, and sometimes the animations will connect and you'll block, sometimes they'll connect and you won't, sometimes they won't connect and you'll block anyway. So I've only got past any boss after Wave 5 maybe twice, but I still agree the campaign offers very little challenge.

I wish there were more than two backgrounds for Eternal, but it's neat that it does unlock more swords. And difficult or not it is still fun... positively hypnotic, even with the flaws. God, if the sword combat in this were as precise as something like Nidhogg (unreleased multiplayer indie game on PC, you can see gameplay videos showing how it works) with these production values on top, it'd be a masterpiece.

Off-topic edit: Oh, and Rayman JR - sure, it's got style, I said it was technically fantastic. But it's a terrible, terrible attempt at something Project 83113 does a million times better. Godawful difficulty curve, horrid level design, empty sense of progression - it's been a long time since I played a game where I decided the developers hated me quite this fast. Got to the wall-running levels and gave up in disgust. You couldn't pay me enough to play it again. Anyway, carry on.

Last edited by EightRooks; 09-27-2012 at 09:43 PM..
Old 09-27-2012, 09:54 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunxsword View Post
*Edit: may I recommend Blood Run as a comparison to this game? That game use buttons instead of swipes!
Now that youve mentioned it, if a Blood Run sequel comes out with some stylish artwork... It's a new realm of possibilities.

As for the TA review, I dont agree with it being a 5-star even though i love this game so muich. It definitely is a great game, but it is far from perfect...

First of all, that Loreseeker is inaccessible to 99% of the population. That alone suggests the game will not give you everything for reasons which are never your fault.

Two, gameplay is a basic running game with 3 attacks and a guard. Of course this game does that in a very responsive swiping mechanic, but it is still a basic gameplay mechanic. There are similar great games that actually use the same mechanic... Mirror's Edge for one comes to mind, then it's not so great clone but still a good pickup Captain America, and the highly accepted Project Belle. The first two comparisons are more platforming oriented while God of Blades is more combat-oriented, giving you access to 3 attacks with different attack properties. Wait... God of Blades is actually Combat-oriented ONLY with ZERO platforming. What it has isnt even better graphics, but better movie poster-esque visual style (Krull anyone?). Project Belle is more of a cartoon visual style than the first 3 comparisons, but it has a better mix of platforming, and a more combat-oriented gameplay.

Three, the game doesnt offer much in terms of progression. There isnt any upgrade system you can work for, and it definitely does not have an objective system. The only thing it has in terms of progression is a story mode that let's you read through the story, and let's you unlock weapons by completing certain story segments. The endless mode is the same, but with infinite waves instead, and no story telling, and no weapons to pickup. The only thing story mode has that i've seen in the weapons unlocking. Havent played much of the endless mode yet, but im looking forward to it, and how you'll be able to choose a weapon for endless. Story mode comes first for me.

With these flaws in mind, this isnt a perfect game at all for me. But still, it is one game that im really digging and will definitely put some playtime in, but as it is, the fifth star isnt for it yet.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Three, the game doesnt offer much in terms of progression. There isnt any upgrade system you can work for, and it definitely does not have an objective system. The only thing it has in terms of progression is a story mode that let's you read through the story, and let's you unlock weapons by completing certain story segments. The endless mode is the same, but with infinite waves instead, and no story telling, and no weapons to pickup. The only thing story mode has that i've seen in the weapons unlocking. Havent played much of the endless mode yet, but im looking forward to it, and how you'll be able to choose a weapon for endless. Story mode comes first for me.
I repeat, you can unlock weapons in Eternal mode. I just got one maybe ten minutes ago. EDIT: Also, you do get story-telling, of a sort - there are little snippets of text for when you go down about the last boss you took out.

I do sympathise with a lot of your points, but while I also wouldn't give the game a perfect mark I'm still warming to it a lot more than most things I've played this year. I'm tempted to write a review for it anyway and emphasise that even limited by the iTouch I'd still recommend it without hesitation to people prepared to forgive the rough edges. It's much, much more satisfying for me than Infinite Warrior, for starters - even without much of a challenge it still feels like I'm doing something, never mind the lack of arbitrary missions or "kill X amount of Y". I've just played that game with the update, and I hate to say it but even though it runs much better now it's still nothing more to me than Simon Says with a polished but fairly generic fantasy coat of paint.

I don't agree with Eli that God of Blades' style makes up for all its faults but it still feels much more like a standout piece of work, a real highlight of the App Store rather than yet another runner, despite the over-forgiving difficulty. No matter how many times I manage to get a grinder, it still feels more thrilling seeing that than God knows how many games on full-on consoles I've played. No matter how easy it is to trigger a pattern of swing, swing, swing, swing, carving through enemies with no difficulty at all, it's still more gratifying to me doing that, more badass, than most things I've played this year. It could be a lot better, yes! But it still feels like sword-fighting ought to feel in a videogame. I think God of Blades needs a lot of tuning up still to be a 5-star release, but when I say I like it I mean I really like it.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:25 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Thanks for that clarification on endless. I've only played endless twice and admittedly didnt get that far to see what it could offer before going back to story mode. Also, i didnt read your post on this as i was probably composing my wall of text when you did.

Im with you on this game isnt 5-star material yet, but is an easy 4 to me. I always rate my games as they are, without comparing what it can and cant do, but i do put it comparisons to give an idea of what differences it has over different games in it's genre.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:38 PM

Default Skills pts.

How did everyone else spend their skill points in the Hero Management?
I am having trouble deciding. Just want to know on what others have spent it on.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:43 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
Video games, am I right guys?
I love you, obviously. I've been coming to this site since I got my first idevice. In fact, it's the first iOS based community I signed up for.

But the weird comments surround Sword and Sworcery and then breaking it down to use as a comparison here is a major WTF moment.

Sword and Sworcery, at its very core, had purpose every single point and click you made. You were always invested into the world you survived in. There were dynamics to its gameplay. Puzzles, riddles, fighting, and most of all story.

And while I agree there used to be substantial merit behind the simplistic games such as Canabalt, I think it gained the merit specifically because it was simple, and asked for nothing more.

Here, the biggest issue is one that should matter number one is gameplay. I played some more and the sparse story is decent. The graphics are awesome. The music is awesome. But these games are founded on gameplay.

And the issue is the inconsistent and basically unchanging gameplay. After 20 minutes its fine. After 40 it starts losing its luster. But continuing beyond that, the gameplay falls further and further apart. It's not polished enough to keep it going over the long game. The only change is the sword and what shoots out of the sword.

With Rayman, the addition of hidden and difficult to find "stars" gives the game depth. Maybe that seems superficial to some, but for me I felt it had more staying power, even with Rayman having basically no story.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsoitgoes View Post
Sword and Sworcery, at its very core, had purpose every single point and click you made. You were always invested into the world you survived in. There were dynamics to its gameplay. Puzzles, riddles, fighting, and most of all story.

And while I agree there used to be substantial merit behind the simplistic games such as Canabalt, I think it gained the merit specifically because it was simple, and asked for nothing more.

Here, the biggest issue is one that should matter number one is gameplay. I played some more and the sparse story is decent. The graphics are awesome. The music is awesome. But these games are founded on gameplay.

And the issue is the inconsistent and basically unchanging gameplay. After 20 minutes its fine. After 40 it starts losing its luster. But continuing beyond that, the gameplay falls further and further apart. It's not polished enough to keep it going over the long game. The only change is the sword and what shoots out of the sword.
Bolded for no I wasn't. Not enough to vote it as Game of the Year, at least. On paper, or rather listening to the soundtrack, looking at screenshots and reading about it, it was a great idea: in practice it just bores me after a few minutes. Pretty but sparse pixel art and a couple of hotspots per screen do not immersion make IMO. God of Blades is simple - you don't do anything bar chop, chop, chop - but the way that feels, the way it ties in with the backgrounds and the music and the whole endless war!!!11!1!! thing comes across as much more captivating for me, much more deserving of my attention. It still could do with a lot of improvement, but I know which game I'd rather play nonetheless.

I'd still rate Superbrothers quite highly as a... I don't know, a digital interactive painting of some description. But I'm in absolutely no hurry to go back to where I left off and I feel no real heavy emotional attachment to it. God of Blades similarly doesn't deserve the maximum number of points, not yet, but even so it still regularly puts a smile on my face - pretty sure I've played it for longer than 40 minutes and it hasn't bored me yet.

Edit: And I wasn't going to mention it again, but what the hell, off-topic alert (delete this if I'm pushing my luck here, mods ) - Rayman pushes the difficulty all the way into the red for me, with stupid, poisonous, hateful design that serves absolutely no purpose. Seriously, I can't think of another game I've played this year that had me screaming "Why is this fun?" quite so often. If you do not collect 100% of everything in a level, the game is pointless - it's even plainly set up to reinforce that (the most extreme example being that stage where you can "finish" it in about two seconds). Yet it's also plainly set up to laugh at you when you fail to get everything and thus waste your run (like all the points where if you miss a jump it sets you back on the path but puts you in a place where the collectibles you missed are now just out of reach for no real reason). Project 83113 basically invalidates Rayman JR's reasons for existing, in my eyes. Horrid, horrid game and one of the few times I've seriously considered trying to pester iTunes for my money back, just because. Give me the Nameless King any day.

Last edited by EightRooks; 09-27-2012 at 11:05 PM..
Old 09-27-2012, 10:58 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

i love the Frank Frazetta-inspired art!

But could you drop the price a little... over this weekend... like an EARLY BIRD DISCOUNT? $2.99 is kinda high!

Last edited by GROG; 09-27-2012 at 11:00 PM..
Old 09-27-2012, 11:56 PM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Urgghh...this is one of those games that I still feel like I might find it too simplistic or dull based on some of the opinions, but I've got that nagging urge that makes me want to get it just to see what it's really like and what side of the argument I'd ultimately come down on.

Yeah, it's only $3. But I hate regretting a purchase no matter the price (it adds up - particularly the way I've been getting apps lately).

Wish all games had lite versions.

Must resist...
Old 09-28-2012, 12:04 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

I guess you and I are very different people. I felt so much more than art from S&S. I felt entwined in the universe.

In this, I'm a big nameless king with a sword that goes and goes... And goes and goes. Again, fine in a game like Canabalt, but here the thought of depth that could have been, adding in some extra complexity to the combat, to the game itself, might have been the thing it needed to bring it to the next level.

I need a little bit more in my games unfortunately.