Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 10-18-2012, 11:45 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by retr0spective View Post
I am right there with you on this one as God of Blades has certainly rekindled my youthful enthusiasm for fantasy fiction. Although the God of Blades prequel stories are still forthcomming, two significant Influences that were previously mentioned are the works of Lord Dunsany, especially his "Pegana Triliogy" and the works of Robert Howard who is most famous for his stories of Conan and Solomon Kane. You can certainly spend a great deal of time with these works alone, but if you enjoy pleasant literary investigations, you will find that there is a greater tradition that links these writers together which will lead you to many other great books of potential interest.

Ronald Howard was part of a literary circle that published sophisticated macabre fantasy stories within various pulp literature magazines in the early 1900's. These writers would publish serial stories or story cycles centered upon a central character or characters within a particular setting or as part of a fictional mythology. Through their collaboration they would often incorporate elements or otherwise contribute stories to each others cycles or co-write individual works. Central to this particular literary circle of "weird" fiction writers was H.P. Lovecraft whos story cycle came to be known as the Cthulhu Mythos and of which even Howard himself has made contributions. Another prominant figure was Clark Ashton Smith. You will find all of their writings to be of great interest in light of the stated influences of God of Blades.

One of Lovecraft's great inspirations was Lord Dunsay, who's Pegana Mythos influenced the creation of the Cthulhu Mythos pantheon. Another was Robert Chambers who created a Mythos of his own centered around a mysterious play called The King in Yellow which is endowed with a sinister aura and the reading of which may lead one insane. Suffice to say that The King in Yellow inspired Lovecraft's bibliography of fictitious forbidden books including the infamous Necronomicon. I have personally been spending quite a bit of time with Chambers' work, the rediscovery of which I am again very much indebted to the brilliant creators of the God of Blades.

If you want a good introduction to classic pulp fantasy I would suggest looking over Lin Carter's Adult Fantasy Series and taking advantage of the many excellent books presently in the public domain.

[Edit: Take a look at Lord Dunsany's "The King that was Not" from Time and the Gods. I originally thought that this was the basis of the Nameless King.]
OMG I love this community. Its like making this game helped create my dream forum. Its the best thing ever. White Whale is crazy happy!
Old 10-19-2012, 12:15 AM
Banned
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserwolf View Post
Awesome find. I also have to note that you are able to get higher scores in the leaderboards in 3 weeks than I have in a year of practice. I can't wait to let you know what were working on.
By working on, do you mean an update, sequel or something totally new?

I just hope that someday in the near future, you guys come out with a full 3D action brawler. Sidescrolling 2D games are OK, but the 3D ones will surely take the experience to a whole new level. No need fancy cutscenes, voiceacting - a similar story presentation as now would suffice. Just the action ramped up. I understand resources can be a problem, but do try to make this a possibility if possible.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:50 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by defred34 View Post
By working on, do you mean an update, sequel or something totally new?

I just hope that someday in the near future, you guys come out with a full 3D action brawler. Sidescrolling 2D games are OK, but the 3D ones will surely take the experience to a whole new level. No need fancy cutscenes, voiceacting - a similar story presentation as now would suffice. Just the action ramped up. I understand resources can be a problem, but do try to make this a possibility if possible.
Right now we are just working on an update and the plan is to keep adding onto God of Blades for a while. Maybe one day we will do a 3d brawler....
Old 10-19-2012, 07:14 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserwolf View Post
Awesome find. I also have to note that you are able to get higher scores in the leaderboards in 3 weeks than I have in a year of practice. I can't wait to let you know what were working on.
What can I say, I like swingin' swords at dudes. Still gunning for that 10 quintillion #1 spot :P haha. And I cant wait either!
Oh and keep up the posts retr0spective. You are really helping me out when I make my bookstore runs. I always went for pure sci-fi rather than fantasy sadly but thats changing so i'm greatful for the advise and welcome more from you or anyone else.
I already tweeted this to white whale a while back but I'll go ahead and share this cover here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (361.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 10-20-2012, 03:03 PM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

- A Memory Once Lost -

Can't...
You can't remember... but you must. No choice.
Still, you can't...
The past, -
you, walking down a road. Outlined by the Golden Fields of Nemnoth, following a trail, winding like a snake, feet moving restless on silvery shining stones; a road long and narrow. Where do you went, father?
I know what you've found - but you, you can't rembember. Can you hear me?
My rest took ages, I am tired of lying around useless. A force like me, buried, only living on in tales long forgotten.
I still can feel your touch. I can remember how proud we once stood, like an unbreakable wall. But you seem to sleep, because I can't feel your spirit anymore. Once a legend, now an empty hull. Once we were... like a melody. The songs we wrote were feared among those who dared to oppose us. Each of your strokes was a note; those who fell were adding the final chords to each of all the thousands of tunes we've played.
I remember the song of Belegaud, wielder of the Moonscythe. We met him at the gates of Felven, far to the south. Minute after minute it went on... finally ending in a furious climax. A terrible, beautiful song. And I tasted his blood! Dark, red, heavy, like wine, it made me drunk and I was wanting more and more...
Then, everything changed. You sealed me away, deep in your mind, and you started to fade. Slowly, but unstoppable. Now I am still hidden away, but the mind, which locked me in so long ago, ceased. I am divided; my body, still stainless, lies buried and can't reflect the rays of the sun anymore. My spirit torn out of my body, and sealed inside of you. As I told you before.
And I see that the time of my awakening not only has come... it has already passed. It is time to reunite, but you still can't remember me. I see what you're going through, what you are doing. But you don't know who I am and that you need me. How big is the worth of a memory once lost?
If I had just one wish... it would be a tiny little spark inside of your head, a single memory that comes and goes in the blink of an eye. A spark to ignite a bonfire. But there's no such wish. Only hope.
For now, I am truly forgotten.
Yet I can't stop waiting for you.

Last edited by Vovin; 10-21-2012 at 07:21 PM..
Old 10-21-2012, 03:20 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
- A Memory Once Lost -

Can't...
You can't remember... but you must. No choice.
Still, you can't...
The past, -
you, walking down a road. Outlined by the Golden Fields of Nemnoth, following a trail, winding like a snake, feet moving restless on silvery shining stones; a road long and narrow. Where do you went, father?
I know what you've found - but you, you can't rembember. Can you hear me?
My rest took ages, I am tired of lying around useless. A force like me, buried, only living on in tales long forgotten.
I still can feel your touch. I can remember how proud we once stood, like an unbreakable wall. But you seem to sleep, because I can't feel your spirit anymore. Once a legend, now an empty hull. Once we were... like a melody. The songs we wrote were feared among those who dared to oppose us. Each of your strokes was a note; those who fell were adding the final chord of all the thousands of tunes we've played.
I remember the song of Belegaud, wielder of the Moonscythe. We met him at the gates of Felven, far to the south. Minute after minute it went on... finally ending in a furious climax. A terrible, beautiful song. And I tasted his blood! Dark, red, heavy, like wine, it made me drunk and I was wanting more and more...
Then, everything changed. You sealed me away, deep in your mind, and you started to fade. Slowly, but unstoppable. Now I am still hidden away, but the mind, which locked me in so long ago, ceased. I am divided; my body, still stainless, lies buried and can't reflect the rays of the sun anymore. My spirit torn out of my body, and sealed inside of you. As I told you before.
And I see that the time of my awakening not only has come... it has already passed. It is time to reunite, but you still can't remember me. I see what you're going through, what you are doing. But you don't know who I am and that you need me. How big the worth of a memory once lost?
If I had just one wish... it would be a tiny little spark inside of your head, a single memory that comes and goes in the blink of an eye. A spark to ignite a bonfire. But there's no such wish. Only hope.
For now, I am truly forgotten.
Yet I can't stop waiting for you.
This is Jason, creative director at White Whale...this is incredible! A blade missing its owner! Give us more clues about this sword so we can forge it!
Old 10-21-2012, 03:58 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 8.x

Quite haunting and lyrical, Vovin! Thanks for this.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:03 AM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Hahahaha, thanks guys and excuse my terrible grammar. I translated it into English after writing it in German.

To explain closer, I just wanted to write that down because I had those thoughts while playing God of Blades.
When you first start the game, you'll only see a blade - the Nameless King materializes shortly after. So, what if these swords know they have an obligation or a duty? All swords were created by powerful entities - and I guess the process of creation happened with lots of care and love. A bit of the spirits of their creators went into the swords, imbuing them with power. And Each sword is unique, unlike the most other swords - to the extend that they must have developed some kind of personality. Crude, but existing. All the swords are personalities, somehow.
What, if not the Nameless King is calling for the swords, but the swords calling their former wielder instead? Somehow it feels that the keys to the Nameless King's existence and reappearance are these swords.

The name of that sword is Melodia (or "BaenSidhe's Melodia", to be more specific), Jason. In the process of forging it, it was modified by cutting or hammering six sharp edged holes at a small angle through the middle of the weapon - so when you swing this blade, it makes sounds like a howling banshee, terrifying the enemies... because it is said that if you ever hear the howling of a banshee, you are about to die very soon.
The sword itself is made of silvery metal with dark, celtic-like inlays around six holes, that go through it. It is of medium weight, slightly curved and slim, but broad. The hilt is wrapped in dark leather stripes and below the tear-shaped pommel hangs a short plait which is said to be made of the hair of a banshee-like creature.
Besides its fearsome howl, it is able to call out to the fallen dead in times of need, summoning them and directing the raw spiritual energy towards its foes. A spectre will appear and storm against the enemy, to protect the wielder of the blade. Those, who were slain by Melodia, must heed its call forever.

Last edited by Vovin; 10-22-2012 at 08:08 AM..
Old 10-22-2012, 02:56 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
Hahahaha, thanks guys and excuse my terrible grammar. I translated it into English after writing it in German.

To explain closer, I just wanted to write that down because I had those thoughts while playing God of Blades.
When you first start the game, you'll only see a blade - the Nameless King materializes shortly after. So, what if these swords know they have an obligation or a duty? All swords were created by powerful entities - and I guess the process of creation happened with lots of care and love. A bit of the spirits of their creators went into the swords, imbuing them with power. And Each sword is unique, unlike the most other swords - to the extend that they must have developed some kind of personality. Crude, but existing. All the swords are personalities, somehow.
What, if not the Nameless King is calling for the swords, but the swords calling their former wielder instead? Somehow it feels that the keys to the Nameless King's existence and reappearance are these swords.

The name of that sword is Melodia (or "BaenSidhe's Melodia", to be more specific), Jason. In the process of forging it, it was modified by cutting or hammering six sharp edged holes at a small angle through the middle of the weapon - so when you swing this blade, it makes sounds like a howling banshee, terrifying the enemies... because it is said that if you ever hear the howling of a banshee, you are about to die very soon.
The sword itself is made of silvery metal with dark, celtic-like inlays around six holes, that go through it. It is of medium weight, slightly curved and slim, but broad. The hilt is wrapped in dark leather stripes and below the tear-shaped pommel hangs a short plait which is said to be made of the hair of a banshee-like creature.
Besides its fearsome howl, it is able to call out to the fallen dead in times of need, summoning them and directing the raw spiritual energy towards its foes. A spectre will appear and storm against the enemy, to protect the wielder of the blade. Those, who were slain by Melodia, must heed its call forever.
whoa...this is awesome....
That you were inspired to write this is incredible! While making God of Blades, we hoped, but never dreamed that such talented and inspiring folks like yourself would be moved to create things like this after playing it.

Your insightful look at the relationship between the Nameless King and the legendary blades is fantastic, and we are so happy to see people exploring that theme. Who is summoning who? Who is wielding who?

Thank you!
Old 10-22-2012, 05:50 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Default Sneak Peek at new content and Blog by Moon Ladder on Building the GOB World

http://whitewhalegames.com/blog/2012...god-of-blades/

Read it!