App description: One of the Best iPhone and iPad Games of 2012: Action- TouchArcade

Pocket Tactics' Action Game of the Year!

God of Blades now fills your iPhone 5 screen with gorgeous, sword-swinging pulp fantasy!

5/5 TouchArcade!
"The tortured, veiny world the art conjures and the surreal music it uses to bolster its paranoid sci-fi vibe are both riveting aspects that suck you into a surreal universe and doesn't let go."

8/10 Edge Magazine!
"God Of Blades enhances its glorious alien bloodshed with lavish presentation that blends the pulp sensibilities of paperback fantasy novels with the bizarre visions found on prog rock album covers."

4.5/5 148 Apps!
"Theres nothing quite like it on the App Store, and it's fun to boot. All hail God of Blades!"

5/5/ AppSpy!
"...there's not an inch of this game that isn't dripping with a strangely appealing other-worldly sheen."

A love-song to pulp fantasy tales of yore, 70s synth-prog-landscape oddities, and forgotten places, God of Blades is a gorgeous, visceral sidescrolling physics-based sword-fighting adventure.

See the trailer at http://www.whitewhalegames.com

------------------------------------------------------

Praise for God of Blades:

Cripes. So many reasons to like this. The pulpy sci fi narrative, the prog rock lettering and album art backdrops, the spectral swordsmen and the fearsome sense of connection. God of Blades is pretty much glorious, basically. - Christian Donlan, Hookshot Inc.

...we were reminded of Shadow of the Beast for some reason probably because of the music and the setting... thats a very good thing.- Chris Priestman, IndieGameMag

The White Whale Games crew has gone above and beyond demonstrating their devotion to stories and literature, and [Loreseeker] is one of the most creative and brilliant ways they could have possibly conceived to get people to go to those incredible repositories of human knowledge known as libraries. - Brad Hilderbrand, Gamezebo

With their upcoming title God of Blades, the small indie developer has created an intriguing mashup of iOS genres. - A.T. Faust III, AppAdvice.com

God of Blades is dripping with style - Jim Squires, Gamezebo

------------------------------------------------------

The dead king rises! Become a spectral warrior who has returned to defend his planet against a rampaging doom-cult and the devouring touch of the cosmic horrors they serve. Wrenching this world from the grasp of oblivion, the Nameless King wields phantom blades forged from the legends and heritage of a dying world.

Raise your blade, and rush into the darkness!

FEATURES:

BATTLE ACROSS AN ALIEN WORLD

- 10 Breathtaking, handcrafted environments (Retina display supported!) and art inspired by pulp novel covers, classic RPG modules, and 1970s rock
- Extensive Campaign mode includes gorgeous cinematics and an epic story in the tradition of fantasy sagas past.

WIELD A GODLIKE ARSENAL

- An array of unlockable weapons, each with a unique look, feel, power, and history learn their tales and develop your own fighting strategies. Banish your enemies to other dimensions, cover them in flames, slow time to achieve impossible blows, summon raging storms, coat them in soul-devouring worms and more!
- Addictive, emergent, physics-driven combat makes every duel uniqueshatter weapons, armor, and send your foes flying. No two duels are the same.

A WAR THAT NEVER ENDS

- Climb the leaderboards! Eternal mode offers white-knuckle survival gameplay- how long can you last the different warriors that comprise the void-crazed horde?
- Pit your swordfighting prowess against the monstrous Voidchosenprocedurally generated master warriors.

STUNNING SOUNDTRACK

- Stellar aural experience, featuring tremendous sound design, and an album-length score reminiscent of 60s/70s fantasy and horror films

EXPLORE YOUR WORLD, CHALLENGE THE DARKNESS

- Unlock select weapons by visiting real world libraries, using our innovative feature, Loreseeker.

Sanuku's comments:

10-22-2012, 07:52 PM
I find the last boss frustratingly difficult. Managed to beat him but wait...he revives for another round *ragequit*
10-23-2012, 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightRooks View Post
Well, how about that - I guess Vovin's artistic efforts triggered something in my brain, since I just wrote a "Here is the story behind a sword" piece myself. It's hardly Shakespeare or anything but it's ages since I did a short piece (to say nothing of how long it's been since I wrote anything that might qualify as "fanfiction" ) so, yeah, I was kind of surprised to suddenly feel so compelled to get this thing down. It's just short of 2,000 words, so it'd need more than two posts to get it in this forum. Can I post it, mods? Or would that be inappropriate? I'm not planning on doing anything else with it right now, but I quite like it, and it'd be neat to have other people who're into God of Blades tell me if they think I've nailed swashbuckling Ye Olde Pulp Fantasy-speak. Or if I'm doing it wrong.

And the blog post is great - if you keep up this standard of production values I'm more than happy for content updates for the meantime rather than any new game. The new background looks every bit as good as the others so far.

No, I guess there's no problem to post this since it is directly related to the game and no spam or other unacceptable topic (like price discussion or trolling). It would be awesome if we could read it.

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.

10-23-2012, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannaffendy View Post
I find the last boss frustratingly difficult. Managed to beat him but wait...he revives for another round *ragequit*

Parrying is the key, especially his projectiles. Try studying which attack patterns he prefers and act accordingly.
I found him to be quite easy with the Sword of Welleran. Witchblade and Whisper are good choices, too... not for the special abilities (except Whisper), but these swords are slightly faster than his weapon and you might be able to interrupt his strikes if you're fast enough. I try relying on the upward swing, in my opinion the fastest strike. The only letdown is the damage output, it takes a while with light blades to knock his health away.

This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.
10-23-2012, 02:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Moon_Ladder View Post
whoa...this is awesome....
That you were inspired to write this is incredible! While making God of Blades, we hoped, but never dreamed that such talented and inspiring folks like yourself would be moved to create things like this after playing it.

Your insightful look at the relationship between the Nameless King and the legendary blades is fantastic, and we are so happy to see people exploring that theme. Who is summoning who? Who is wielding who?

Thank you!

Thanks for your kind words...
Now I can't wait to see Melodia forged...

And I would like to know more about The Whispering Lady. She's still a mystery for me. Or is this another one of your hidden riddles? I just wonder that she's not more on topic here.
Well, maybe she was his chambermaid back then.

Last edited by Vovin; 10-23-2012 at 02:37 PM.
10-23-2012, 04:14 PM
That new jellyfish environment looks fantastic. Definitely getting more excited for this update. Will there be new music as well? Kinda my favorite part of the experience
What music inspired the soundtrack? Somebody on here said they heard Tangerine Dream and I agree but I also hear some Goblin in there. Some of it reminds me of giallo movie soundtracks in general and spacey "krautrock" like Ash Ra Tempel. Would be very interested in knowing some of your influences 'cause I'm always on the prowl for music. Oh and if you guys did a vinyl release, I'd be all over that like flies on s#%#. JS
11-01-2012, 08:15 PM
man i am stuck and just getting frustrated, Im on the Heart of the VOID - The Eye of the void which is the 4th area in this place and i keep loosing , im loosing my temper too LOL.... wish there was a way to heal LOL....enemies totally should drop potions sometimes or something maybe magic spells you can cast in the game beside the blade ability? how do i beat this area do i have to parry everything?
11-01-2012, 08:28 PM
and holy crap Vovin that is AWESOME, you made me look at this game completely different now..cant wait to see your sword and vision forged.

White Whale you should totally make a ACTION Rpg type game rather then a runner, it would be INCREDIBLE, like i almost feel like with the worlds you create it could be like a Dark Souls/Demon Souls type of Atmosphere...You could have so many different types of weapons, abilities, spells, armor sets omg loot!!!!! but not just a running game like a action rpg platformer style but keep the same control scheme for attacks cause its perfect..

I need to get to a library and unlock some swords, i wonder if the part im stuck on would be easier with some better swords...
11-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delusionaltool View Post
man i am stuck and just getting frustrated, Im on the Heart of the VOID - The Eye of the void which is the 4th area in this place and i keep loosing , im loosing my temper too LOL.... wish there was a way to heal LOL....enemies totally should drop potions sometimes or something maybe magic spells you can cast in the game beside the blade ability? how do i beat this area do i have to parry everything?
The special move Rapacity in the Darkstar blade will give you some life back as well as stall your opponents. But yeah, you should parry quite a bit. Especially against slayers. I will normally use the forward double attack then immediately parry creating distance and then wait for an opening and attack again. Sword of Welleran is what I normally use so it only takes 3 strikes against slayers.
11-03-2012, 09:22 PM
This is going to sound like a silly complaint/request and I apologize if it's been mentioned before but...is there any way that we could have an option to turn off the "slowdown" that happens after a boss fight during eternal mode? I can't tell you how many times I've had a flawless game ruined because I got whacked by a seriously weak enemy since I was unable to time my attacks correctly cause I was moving in slow-motion.

I absolutely hate this part of the game.

Current addictions: Lost Echo, BosonX, Indigo Lake, Isabel, Heroes of Loot, 9th Dawn, Kid Tripp
11-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rein37 View Post
This is going to sound like a silly complaint/request and I apologize if it's been mentioned before but...is there any way that we could have an option to turn off the "slowdown" that happens after a boss fight during eternal mode? I can't tell you how many times I've had a flawless game ruined because I got whacked by a seriously weak enemy since I was unable to time my attacks correctly cause I was moving in slow-motion.

I absolutely hate this part of the game.
It's part of the game design, adjust to it. If not for that, there'd be lesser visual flair, and lesser difficulty. I love the balance in this game, and that includes putting you offguard with slo mos and other subtle variations in the game.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword