Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 09-27-2012, 09:58 PM

Does The iPhone version sync with the iPad version? I bought The iPhone version and played about 10 levels ... if I buy the iPad version do I have to start from scratch or will it sync with my iPhone version?
Old 09-27-2012, 11:15 PM

I'm enjoying this, but the camera is a struggle. In AB I would often zoom the camera out, but here, the levels are MUCH larger in some cases. It takes multiple pinches to zoom out and the game occasionally seems to misread my pinches as wanting to zoom back in. Doing this level after level, both at the start to get a view and while driving vehicles (each time you start moving) gets old in a hurry.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:34 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto6 View Post
2x mode? I'm guessing you got the iPhone version? With blurred iPad graphics, probably worth it and save a couple bucks.
I got both, don't ask

I just said that both versions are fine to play with, the iPhone version on the iPad 3, and HD version on the.. you guessed it, iPad 3

No sync between them that I saw, sorry.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:05 AM

Misguided,

I want to get your thoughts on the physics being modeled in this game.

I am disappointed by the inconsistency in the physics in the game, to the extent that IDENTICAL BUILDS of your cart behaves differently each time it is started. This is even true for BUILDS that do not require any subsequent USER INTERACTION.

In Angry Bird, I can accept the fact that very subtle differences in your touch control of the slingshot may have influenced the outcomes. Here, though, for some levels, the entire build should be entirely DETERMINISTIC of the outcomes.

This is a big problem because I frequently have great difficulty telling if a build is truly bad and unworkable or if the build is actually good but that you just haven't repeated it enough times. Solving a level by "random chance" is NOT good game mechanic and annoys me greatly for a game that has such a great premise and great base mechanic.

Am I missing something here? I found this inconsistency makes the game unnecessarily difficult and frustrating to play.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:26 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

This is pretty fun, too bad about the retina issue.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:19 PM

I know exactly what you mean. Something I think might be at play here is that objects may not be actually at rest when you think they are. Things may be settling or flexing at the start of levels. Try waiting a moment for everything to settle first. I just commented in the non-hd thread that the TNT crate seems wildly variable in terms of strength. I was working on getting the star on level 1-15 and repeatedly fired off the crate. I had results ranging from the pig not even getting high enough to sailing well over (just tried this again allowing for settling, and there is still considerable variation, though it seems to be less, subjectively).

As to the impact on the game, I agree that it could potentially be frustrating in terms of not knowing whether a given vehicle will work or not, though I don't think it is a deal breaker. It would be less annoying without the camera issues and the time taken to restart of you cross the finish (which I had to do a bunch of times on that level).

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kmp3 View Post
Misguided,

I want to get your thoughts on the physics being modeled in this game.

I am disappointed by the inconsistency in the physics in the game, to the extent that IDENTICAL BUILDS of your cart behaves differently each time it is started. This is even true for BUILDS that do not require any subsequent USER INTERACTION.

In Angry Bird, I can accept the fact that very subtle differences in your touch control of the slingshot may have influenced the outcomes. Here, though, for some levels, the entire build should be entirely DETERMINISTIC of the outcomes.

This is a big problem because I frequently have great difficulty telling if a build is truly bad and unworkable or if the build is actually good but that you just haven't repeated it enough times. Solving a level by "random chance" is NOT good game mechanic and annoys me greatly for a game that has such a great premise and great base mechanic.

Am I missing something here? I found this inconsistency makes the game unnecessarily difficult and frustrating to play.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:34 PM

This is a fantastic analysis, Misguided. I am glad that you share my view partially on this.

I, too, came to the same conclusion for 1-15. Even though I was able to get three stars on that level, the solution I used with the TNT and soda also depends on timing of setting off the props and to, many degree, some variation in the explosive strength of the TNT.

I have tried to "let" it settle before launch, though I have not found this to improve the consistency of the build's behavior. I even timed it so that the time to launch the build from the moment I press the reset button is as close to uniform as possible (within measurement errors, of course), but this does not seem to help either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misguided View Post
I know exactly what you mean. Something I think might be at play here is that objects may not be actually at rest when you think they are. Things may be settling or flexing at the start of levels. Try waiting a moment for everything to settle first. I just commented in the non-hd thread that the TNT crate seems wildly variable in terms of strength. I was working on getting the star on level 1-15 and repeatedly fired off the crate. I had results ranging from the pig not even getting high enough to sailing well over (just tried this again allowing for settling, and there is still considerable variation, though it seems to be less, subjectively).

As to the impact on the game, I agree that it could potentially be frustrating in terms of not knowing whether a given vehicle will work or not, though I don't think it is a deal breaker. It would be less annoying without the camera issues and the time taken to restart of you cross the finish (which I had to do a bunch of times on that level).
Old 09-28-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kmp3 View Post
I, too, came to the same conclusion for 1-15. Even though I was able to get three stars on that level, the solution I used with the TNT and soda also depends on timing of setting off the props and to, many degree, some variation in the explosive strength of the TNT.
The timing of hitting buttons is a mechanic I really like, because it gives the player an active role beyond the design stage (as opposed to a game like TIM or Casey's Contraptions where you are a passive observer once you hit the play button). When you time something just right it feels great. I'm not the twitch-gamer type, though, so I'm hoping things don't get too terribly hard from that standpoint later. I've already used designs where I had bottles pointing in several different directions and I thought that worked just fine. They will also give you a button that turns on multiple devices with some designs, such as a fan and a motor, which makes things easier.

You know, I think half the fun is repeatedly blowing the snot out of the pigs when your inventions don't work, like watching early videos of people trying to fly.

Last edited by Misguided; 09-28-2012 at 02:38 PM..
Old 09-28-2012, 02:53 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

This is really no different than Angry Birds in terms of the variability of a given shot. I know in my quest to 3 star every level, I've played some Angry Bird levels 50 times to get the right score. Sometimes it seemed like I made the same shot 10 times in a row when suddenly my score jumped. I think that the level of precision is much higher than we are anticipating, and it sounds like it's the same in Bad Piggies. I haven't played yet to confirm, but I actually like that level of detail in the game.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:22 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

How big is the installed file and does it have icloud support? Also, it says it has some sandbox levels, does that mean gamecenter is going to log into sandbox?