Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-27-2012, 09:58 PM
jeannyguard jeannyguard is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 8
Default

Does The iPhone version sync with the iPad version? I bought The iPhone version and played about 10 levels ... if I buy the iPad version do I have to start from scratch or will it sync with my iPhone version?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-27-2012, 11:15 PM
Misguided Misguided is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,363
Default

I'm enjoying this, but the camera is a struggle. In AB I would often zoom the camera out, but here, the levels are MUCH larger in some cases. It takes multiple pinches to zoom out and the game occasionally seems to misread my pinches as wanting to zoom back in. Doing this level after level, both at the start to get a view and while driving vehicles (each time you start moving) gets old in a hurry.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-28-2012, 09:34 AM
beelzebub23 beelzebub23 is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto6 View Post
2x mode? I'm guessing you got the iPhone version? With blurred iPad graphics, probably worth it and save a couple bucks.
I got both, don't ask

I just said that both versions are fine to play with, the iPhone version on the iPad 3, and HD version on the.. you guessed it, iPad 3

No sync between them that I saw, sorry.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-28-2012, 11:05 AM
y2kmp3 y2kmp3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 847
Default

Misguided,

I want to get your thoughts on the physics being modeled in this game.

I am disappointed by the inconsistency in the physics in the game, to the extent that IDENTICAL BUILDS of your cart behaves differently each time it is started. This is even true for BUILDS that do not require any subsequent USER INTERACTION.

In Angry Bird, I can accept the fact that very subtle differences in your touch control of the slingshot may have influenced the outcomes. Here, though, for some levels, the entire build should be entirely DETERMINISTIC of the outcomes.

This is a big problem because I frequently have great difficulty telling if a build is truly bad and unworkable or if the build is actually good but that you just haven't repeated it enough times. Solving a level by "random chance" is NOT good game mechanic and annoys me greatly for a game that has such a great premise and great base mechanic.

Am I missing something here? I found this inconsistency makes the game unnecessarily difficult and frustrating to play.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Megs Megs is offline
Junior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1
Default

This is pretty fun, too bad about the retina issue.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-28-2012, 01:19 PM
Misguided Misguided is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,363
Default

I know exactly what you mean. Something I think might be at play here is that objects may not be actually at rest when you think they are. Things may be settling or flexing at the start of levels. Try waiting a moment for everything to settle first. I just commented in the non-hd thread that the TNT crate seems wildly variable in terms of strength. I was working on getting the star on level 1-15 and repeatedly fired off the crate. I had results ranging from the pig not even getting high enough to sailing well over (just tried this again allowing for settling, and there is still considerable variation, though it seems to be less, subjectively).

As to the impact on the game, I agree that it could potentially be frustrating in terms of not knowing whether a given vehicle will work or not, though I don't think it is a deal breaker. It would be less annoying without the camera issues and the time taken to restart of you cross the finish (which I had to do a bunch of times on that level).

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kmp3 View Post
Misguided,

I want to get your thoughts on the physics being modeled in this game.

I am disappointed by the inconsistency in the physics in the game, to the extent that IDENTICAL BUILDS of your cart behaves differently each time it is started. This is even true for BUILDS that do not require any subsequent USER INTERACTION.

In Angry Bird, I can accept the fact that very subtle differences in your touch control of the slingshot may have influenced the outcomes. Here, though, for some levels, the entire build should be entirely DETERMINISTIC of the outcomes.

This is a big problem because I frequently have great difficulty telling if a build is truly bad and unworkable or if the build is actually good but that you just haven't repeated it enough times. Solving a level by "random chance" is NOT good game mechanic and annoys me greatly for a game that has such a great premise and great base mechanic.

Am I missing something here? I found this inconsistency makes the game unnecessarily difficult and frustrating to play.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-28-2012, 01:34 PM
y2kmp3 y2kmp3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 847
Default

This is a fantastic analysis, Misguided. I am glad that you share my view partially on this.

I, too, came to the same conclusion for 1-15. Even though I was able to get three stars on that level, the solution I used with the TNT and soda also depends on timing of setting off the props and to, many degree, some variation in the explosive strength of the TNT.

I have tried to "let" it settle before launch, though I have not found this to improve the consistency of the build's behavior. I even timed it so that the time to launch the build from the moment I press the reset button is as close to uniform as possible (within measurement errors, of course), but this does not seem to help either.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Misguided View Post
I know exactly what you mean. Something I think might be at play here is that objects may not be actually at rest when you think they are. Things may be settling or flexing at the start of levels. Try waiting a moment for everything to settle first. I just commented in the non-hd thread that the TNT crate seems wildly variable in terms of strength. I was working on getting the star on level 1-15 and repeatedly fired off the crate. I had results ranging from the pig not even getting high enough to sailing well over (just tried this again allowing for settling, and there is still considerable variation, though it seems to be less, subjectively).

As to the impact on the game, I agree that it could potentially be frustrating in terms of not knowing whether a given vehicle will work or not, though I don't think it is a deal breaker. It would be less annoying without the camera issues and the time taken to restart of you cross the finish (which I had to do a bunch of times on that level).
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-28-2012, 02:05 PM
Misguided Misguided is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kmp3 View Post
I, too, came to the same conclusion for 1-15. Even though I was able to get three stars on that level, the solution I used with the TNT and soda also depends on timing of setting off the props and to, many degree, some variation in the explosive strength of the TNT.
The timing of hitting buttons is a mechanic I really like, because it gives the player an active role beyond the design stage (as opposed to a game like TIM or Casey's Contraptions where you are a passive observer once you hit the play button). When you time something just right it feels great. I'm not the twitch-gamer type, though, so I'm hoping things don't get too terribly hard from that standpoint later. I've already used designs where I had bottles pointing in several different directions and I thought that worked just fine. They will also give you a button that turns on multiple devices with some designs, such as a fan and a motor, which makes things easier.

You know, I think half the fun is repeatedly blowing the snot out of the pigs when your inventions don't work, like watching early videos of people trying to fly.

Last edited by Misguided; 09-28-2012 at 02:38 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-28-2012, 02:53 PM
CzarCastic CzarCastic is offline
Senior Member
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,164
Default

This is really no different than Angry Birds in terms of the variability of a given shot. I know in my quest to 3 star every level, I've played some Angry Bird levels 50 times to get the right score. Sometimes it seemed like I made the same shot 10 times in a row when suddenly my score jumped. I think that the level of precision is much higher than we are anticipating, and it sounds like it's the same in Bad Piggies. I haven't played yet to confirm, but I actually like that level of detail in the game.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-28-2012, 09:22 PM
Connector Connector is offline
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: In the Chatroom
Posts: 15,759
Default

How big is the installed file and does it have icloud support? Also, it says it has some sandbox levels, does that mean gamecenter is going to log into sandbox?
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent