Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

View Poll Results: What is your favourite episode?
Junk Quest 8 12.90%
Teddy Quest 14 22.58%
Rusty Quest 8 12.90%
"Coming Soon" Quest :P 32 51.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2012, 04:11 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Send a message via Skype™ to MrFlexile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
The HD version expands to 500MB? Whoa! Lots of high res goodness packed into it!
Say thank you iPad 3
Old 09-29-2012, 04:16 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlexile View Post
Okay, stop for a sec. Let's discuss this moment. We're alwasy open for such things. I'm not saying that we certainly did the best solution for you.

I can say that we prepare the Universal cheap app only for those who don't want to pay for the better graphics at all so that everybody can somehow play the game spent only one dollar. Moreover we don't want the cheap version to be more than 50 Mb.

Maybe we should make both versions as universal. What do you think? In this case probably it can become even more confused for the customer.

We can do as you said. Make cheap version for the phones and ipods only, but it's not fair too because the original iPad is not an HD device anymore. But unfortunately AppStore is not like Google Play Market in a way that you can't support the original iPad and don't support iPad 2 or iPad 3. All device family have to be supported. It makes it more complicated to create the best solution for you.

And I want you to know that we're not trying to fool someone to make more money! Not at all!
Btw the cheap version still expands to 107 MB. Nothing compared to 500+ for the other version, but still worh noting
Old 09-29-2012, 04:28 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

A Gish look-alike?!
How the hell could you go wrong?
LOVE IT!
Old 09-29-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Okay, stop for a sec. Let's discuss this moment. We're alwasy open for such things. I'm not saying that we certainly did the best solution for you.

I can say that we prepare the Universal cheap app only for those who don't want to pay for the better graphics at all so that everybody can somehow play the game spent only one dollar. Moreover we don't want the cheap version to be more than 50 Mb.

Maybe we should make both versions as universal. What do you think? In this case probably it can become even more confused for the customer.

We can do as you said. Make cheap version for the phones and ipods only, but it's not fair too because the original iPad is not an HD device anymore. But unfortunately AppStore is not like Google Play Market in a way that you can't support the original iPad and don't support iPad 2 or iPad 3. All device family have to be supported. It makes it more complicated to create the best solution for you.

And I want you to know that we're not trying to fool someone to make more money! Not at all!
Thanks for taking the time to answer this.

I absolutely had no intention to imply that you guys were trying to fool us, no worries there! I just think its a bit confusing, and I wasn't the only one to think that, people over Neogaf were questioning this too. That's because having a cheap version being Universal as opposed to the HD version is a situation without precedents as far as I know. That's why it's confusing.

I think the best solution is to make both versions Universal, yes. Actually, to avoid confusion I think the ideal would be to go with the standard practice, which is to make the iPhone version cheaper and non Universal (you can still play it on 2x mode on the iPad) and the HD version Universal.

However, since there are already people that bought the Universal version, you shouldn't change that or they might get angry. Just making the HD version Universal should be fine, I think.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:48 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Searching for "Wimp" on my iPad 3 resulted in the HD version being a few pages back - the SD was on page one. I didn't know the HD version was there at all until I noticed it in your app description. Even after reading this thread I almost downloaded the wrong version.

I understand you wanna get below the 50mb download cap. I like the idea of doing an iPhone/Pod version, and then an HD version that is universal. This saves iPhone users the massive download. Making it universal, but not HD, is confusing though. Supporting the iPad 1 doesn't seem worth the confusion. Just my opinion though.

You may consider explaining this at the top of your app store description rather than buried in the middle to avoid some confusion too.

The game is beautiful, I just started playing the lite and will buy the full. Feels real "solid" while moving the character. The lite crashed on me twice in the opening screens. Third time I am playing fine.

I would like to be able to raise the right arrow control a bit higher. When holding the iPad I can set the left button where I want it, a bit high. However the right arrow won't go nearly as high. When I hold the iPad by the two lower corners it's a bit hard to reach both, for me. No matter how I hold the iPad, I can't get the right arrow in a comfortable spot. But it's very playable, just a nitpick.

Five star game! Good job!

This game needs way more reviews!

PS: I don't play platformers but I will play and complete this great game.

Last edited by schplurg; 09-29-2012 at 04:57 PM..
Old 09-29-2012, 05:38 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by schplurg View Post
Supporting the iPad 1 doesn't seem worth the confusion. Just my opinion though.
Yeah, my opinion would be the exact opposite. If I were to change anything big, I would just remove the HD version. The graphics are already great and I think there are a lot less iPad 2/3 gamers that really care about high res graphics so much that they won't play a game that doesn't have it, than there are iPad 1 gamers that want to play the game. Of course, that's just my opinion too. I wouldn't base these decisions on opinions of random forum users. As a rule, we are not representive for IOS gamers as a whole.

I do agree that mentioning something like "Wimp HD is the high res version of Wimp, especially made for iPad 2 and the new iPad. If you don't need high res graphics, you can buy the universal version of Wimp" (but then in proper English) as the first sentence would help minimize confusion. Perhaps have a look at how Galaxy on Fire does it.

Maybe Where's My Water has the best approach with high res graphics. They have one universal version, with a big banner "download high res graphics and music" on the home screen of the game. That way the download remains under 50MB, the file size doesn't increase for people who don't need the high res assets, and the people who do want it can get it. But I don't know how feasible that is to implement. (No idea how it works in Where's My Water either, I never tried it, just see the banner in the game).
Old 09-29-2012, 05:42 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

I hate when an overabundance of hype forces me to buy a game I would otherwise have no interest in. I already have too many games I have no time to play.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:45 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Send a message via Skype™ to MrFlexile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lena View Post
Yeah, my opinion would be the exact opposite. If I were to change anything big, I would just remove the HD version. The graphics are already great and I think there are a lot less iPad 2/3 gamers that really care about high res graphics so much that they won't play a game that doesn't have it, than there are iPad 1 gamers that want to play the game. Of course, that's just my opinion too. I wouldn't base these decisions on opinions of random forum users. As a rule, we are not representive for IOS gamers as a whole.

I do agree that mentioning something like "Wimp HD is the high res version of Wimp, especially made for iPad 2 and the new iPad. If you don't need high res graphics, you can buy the universal version of Wimp" (but then in proper English) as the first sentence would help minimize confusion. Perhaps have a look at how Galaxy on Fire does it.

Maybe Where's My Water has the best approach with high res graphics. They have one universal version, with a big banner "download high res graphics and music" on the home screen of the game. That way the download remains under 50MB, the file size doesn't increase for people who don't need the high res assets, and the people who do want it can get it. But I don't know how feasible that is to implement. (No idea how it works in Where's My Water either, I never tried it, just see the banner in the game).
Stop guys

We've already decided that the HD version will become universal in the next update.
And I've already corrected the description on the AppStore so it may become updated pretty soon.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Stop guys

We've already decided that the HD version will become universal in the next update.
And I've already corrected the description on the AppStore so it may become updated pretty soon.
Here's my $2 then.

(I just have to clear some space first!)
Old 09-29-2012, 06:05 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Say thank you iPad 3
Man...Apple really needs to come up with away to only download the necessary assets for a given device...these file sizes are killing my chance at playing new releases! My wallet may be open, but my iPhone isn't

Last edited by Greyskull; 09-30-2012 at 08:12 AM..