Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 10-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Wimp is now on the US store new and newsworthy section and has won Toucharcade's game of the week!

Also, an update just came out which should fix any resolved issues, and while I will sure miss it, the name has changed!
Old 10-04-2012, 07:38 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
Wimp is now on the US store new and newsworthy section and has won Toucharcade's game of the week!

Also, an update just came out which should fix any resolved issues, and while I will sure miss it, the name has changed!
Why!!!! I loved that name
Old 10-05-2012, 01:39 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

is any have problem with new update on iPad 3 ?

both is logged or don't in Game Center states?
Old 10-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimp View Post
is any have problem with new update on iPad 3 ?

both is logged or don't in Game Center states?
I kind of got side tracked cause I just bought Fire Busters, Tentacles, and Amazing Spiderman, but I will check to see about the new update on my new ipad.

Can I still fly anymore? It was really fun flying, just really hard getting Wimp to do it, did you take it out in the update? Or is it still there?
Old 10-05-2012, 05:20 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Send a message via Skype™ to MrFlexile

That particular moment was fixed, but there still can be the places where you can fly if we can call it that way

It's not easy to fix if you don't know the certain place where you can reproduce the problem
Old 10-05-2012, 06:32 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Just thought I'd add to the crash discussion: No problems for me on iPad 3 so far, played for a good couple of hours last night and I was multitasking like a bitch too.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:31 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
Just thought I'd add to the crash discussion: No problems for me on iPad 3 so far, played for a good couple of hours last night and I was multitasking like a bitch too.

Have you updated to version 1.0.1 ?
Old 10-06-2012, 11:51 AM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Looks like the hd version is now on sale for 99 cents, see Syntheticvoids post in the price reduction forum. Don't miss out on this great game!
Old 10-06-2012, 04:22 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post
As many of you know, the platform genre is one of my personal favorites. Has been ever since I first got into gaming. So, it shouldnít be any surprise that I jump on the opportunity to check out new platformers whenever they hit the AppStore, and a few times, has been completely surprised at how fantastically good some of them are. Well, the newest title to blow me away is easily Flexile Studioís first foray into the iOS gaming world; Wimp: Who Stole My Panties. Yup, you read that right. Stolen panties. While some might shy away from this one just based on the title, there are some of you out there who still have Miss Claire Garden (which some others shied away from as well, based on itís cutsey name) on your devices, and know how great a game can be, despite itís title.

Welp, letís start this thing off right; Wimp: WSMP has very nice controls, which are fully customizable, fantastic physics that actually give weight to every moveable object in the game, some killer level designs, great puzzles which, you can sometimes solve more than one way (which I know a lot of you guys love), an interesting story, engaging gameplay mechanics, beautiful graphics, awesome animations for each and every character and a soundtrack that matches the gameís look and feel perfectly. I really can not come up with one bad thing to say about Wimp. Not at all.
Wimp tells the story of, you guessed it, Wimp. A cute little blob of a character whoís had his underwear stolen. Youíll need to guide him through 50 levels, spread across 3 worlds, collecting all of his underwear (150 pairs!) and chasing down the thief who committed this atrocity. So, you head down the toilet, and start on your journey.

Now, with Wimp being a puzzle platformer, there are, obviously, some puzzles in the game. But, unlike a lot of puzzle platformers in the AppStore, Wimp also contains a LOT of platforming. You will be jumping around like mad, trying to hit jumps just right, and time things perfectly, with the puzzles getting more and more elaborate as you progress throughout the game. Starting off, youíll be able to use your sticky ability, which can be activated and deactivated via a button. With this, youíre able to stick to almost any surface in the world of Wimp. When you make your way to the second world, youíll be able to toll onto objects that will give you a fire ability. With this, youíll be able to tap the Ďstickyí button, and stop Wimp in mid-air, being able to either jump a second time, or use the left and right buttons to shoot to one side or the other. In the third world, youíll be given a teleport ability, being able to place a bubble wherever youíd like, and then moving around the level, being able to teleport back to where you left the bubble by pressing the Ďstickyí button. With these 3 basic mechanics, the developers at Flexile have done an amazing job designing some very unique, interesting and challenging levels.

Not only are you able to use these 3 abilities, but there are also numerous objects throughout the game that youíll be able to interact with, for instance; Buttons that activate other platforms, stop or start enemy movement and open up pathways. Blocks which you can place on buttons, use to stop enemy movement, push down into acid so to use as a platform, move to reach a pair of underwear and also place on top of enemies to push them down into spikes. There are also Blocks and other objects, like Links, that youíll have to stick to, and wobble back and forth, in order to knock loose. Along with these there are quite a few other objects, like jets that blow you upward, platforms you can destroy with your fire ability, water that youíll need to learn how to maneuver in, around and through, assembly line type platforms, hanging links youíll need to stick to and swing from, machines that spit out blocks and tons more.

All of these objects that you can interact with have their own set of physics, and actually feel like they have some weight to them. Figuring out how to utilize these aspects of the game will be necessary if youíre going after all 150 pairs of underwear that can be found in Wimpís universe. As Iíve said already, there are sometimes more than one way to get through a puzzle, and usually, youíll only find that out after youíve already completed the puzzle a harder way, and moved further on into the level. With this ability to have gamers make the game harder depending on what they think or know they can do is fantastic. The puzzles to get harder and more complex as you progress throughout the game, some requiring multiple actions in order to set up even more actions, and with 50 levels (unfortunately, the third world only has 10 of itís 20 levels completed) and more on the way, including the last 10 levels in World 3, along with 20 more in World 4, thereís quite a bit of content to play through.

The graphics in Wimp look amazing. Itís easily one of the best looking platformers, on any gaming platform, that Iíve had the pleasure of playing. Each world has itís own environmental look and feel, with beautiful, vibrant colors and detailed levels along with great, animated backgrounds. The animations for each character are a huge plus, with Wimp having quite a few that heíll show you while just standing still like rubbing his eyes, looking sadly down at the ground and kicking his foot, banging on his little bubble enclosure and waving at you, with the enemies turning red and clearly getting mad at you if you get too close to them and laughing at you.

Along with all of this, Wimp has a great scoring system with each levels final score depending on how many pairs of underwear you collect, how quickly you complete the stage and how many times youíre injured/killed. With the scores largely dependant on how quickly you can complete each stage, it leaves the possibility of always being able to better your total score, which is shared via GameCenter on Wimpís single total score leaderboard. There are also 40 achievements, many of which will take multiple tries in order to unlock. To complete the gaming experience, Wimp contains 2 boss battles, both at the end of Worlds 1 and 2, in which youíll need to figure out how to injure both bosses 3 times each.

There are two different versions of Wimp: Who Stole My Panties; the Universal version and the HD build, which has some outstanding graphics for the iPad2 and 3. Unfortunately, at the moment the HD build is not Universal. But, the Flexile is going to update the HD build so that gamers with an iPhone 5 or 4S will not have to purchase both versions (unless youíre dying to play the game RIGHT NOW). With the Universal version priced at $0.99, and the HD build $1.99, theyíre both fantastic deals. After purchasing the Universal version, and making it through the first 10 levels of World 1, I wound up buying the HD version as well, simply because I felt that $0.99 wasnít enough for the game. Now, knowing that the HD version will also play on iPhones in the near future, Iím psyched to check out the enhanced graphics on an iPhone 5 when I get one early next year (when my contract is up). For Flexile Studioís first iOS title, theyíve made a huge splash with Wimp. Flexile is also very responsive on the gameís Touch Arcade thread and on their Twitter and Facebook pages, which is fantastic. Iím having a blast playing through each level and then going back trying to better my scores. Itís definitely a title that all platform fans need to check out, and even gamers who donít feel that the iDevice is capable of comfortably running platformers should check this one out. Wimp is, in itself, a prime example that the touch screen is very capable of comfortably running a platform game. I canít wait to see what Flexile adds in World 4, and truly hope that Wimp sells well, and gets all of the attention that it deserves so that we can see more titles come out of the studio. Even though Wimp isnít complete at this moment, and thatís usually something I have a hard time getting over, itíd be even harder not recommending that every iOS gamer check it out.

5/5 Stars

Thank you very much for your review. You made me buy this game. Glad to see it in the price drop section as well
Old 10-06-2012, 07:03 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimp View Post
Have you updated to version 1.0.1 ?
Yes I have, but I can't remember if I was connected to GC or not. I'm gonna play some more now

Edit: Played ten levels of world 2 with GC enabled, switching between the game and Skype. Still no crashes for me, performance is flawless

Last edited by MidianGTX; 10-06-2012 at 08:03 PM..