Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-14-2013, 04:47 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Syen,

I really hope you manage to balance the difficulty and rewards of the dungeons, it won't be easy.

Some ideas that might work :

1) Limit the number of rounds in the early dungeons (it's already been suggested by someone else in the past) :
- makes the different dungeons more unique, because today, they all feel the same
- players cannot abuse the early dungeons by defeating hundreds of monsters (which is not fun anyway)

2) Get rid of the "Greed" upgrades that can be bought in the shop
- today, with this upgrade, the amount of gold which can be earned in the early dungeons is ridiculous : you just have to buy 5 or 6 of this upgrades, and coins reward more than in the 5th dungeon

3) Tweak the base amount of gold each coin rewards, depending on the dungeon :
- For example
Dungeon 1 --> 1 coin
Dungeon 2 -> 3 coins
Dungeon 3 --> 6 coins
Dungeon 4 --> 10 coins
Dungeon 5 --> 15 coins
That way, the later dungeons would be much more rewarding

4) Limit the amount of gold you get by killing the merchant :
- Today, the only way to get a lot of gold, is to kill the merchant numerous times in early dungeons : it doesn't feel right. The merchant has 1 Hp and he deals 1 damage each turn : why do we get more money by killing him rather than hard bosses ?

5) Create a gold reward, earned at the end of a run :
- based on the number of enemies killed (with a bonus for bosses)
- based on difficulty
- you can also add a bonus if the player reaches the end of a dungeon (see idea number 1)

Maybe all of those ideas are not so great or difficult to balance, but I'd like to know your opinion
Old 01-14-2013, 07:37 AM

Hi Syen,

You've done a good job, I find that a Chinese app website is recommending 'Dungeon Story'.
http://www.shiwan.com/app/357366
Old 01-14-2013, 01:32 PM

This game is actually really awesome. Did not expect it. The only thing so far that would make it better would be if there were visualizations. For instance if the enemies were rendered on-screen et cetera. Even if they were pixel art or something.
I could imagine this better on the iPad since there's not much room on the phone.
Anyway, good job on the game.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:20 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

@jarboo indeed very nice idea! i will experiment with them, maybe some of them are the key to better balancing, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormoo View Post
Hi Syen,

You've done a good job, I find that a Chinese app website is recommending 'Dungeon Story'.
http://www.shiwan.com/app/357366
Thanks a lot tormoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by grits View Post
This game is actually really awesome. Did not expect it. The only thing so far that would make it better would be if there were visualizations. For instance if the enemies were rendered on-screen et cetera. Even if they were pixel art or something.
I could imagine this better on the iPad since there's not much room on the phone.
Anyway, good job on the game.
Glad you love the game! Yes I get your point and I would love that myself, wish I was better in art
Old 01-15-2013, 08:50 AM
iPad

Only played through the update once but it was a nice improvement overall. I'll likely play it some more later... but that said... unless there are some pretty significant updates I likely will only be playing this every once and a while from now on. I've kind of tapped myself out on it and it's feeling a lot like grinding now a days as opposed to a feeling of "how long can I survive?". This is largely because I don't feel like my strategic decisions make a difference. It only matters how upgraded I am (and a tiny bit luck based in the special monster affixes). Not trying to be a downer but want to give honest feedback to help improve the game more!

Here are my impressions of the update though:

1) The new graphics are nice. Kind of odd that the menus were updated before the in game screen though as that's what we see more often. Is that also being updated?
2) Difficulty did not seem that much different for me. I played the 4th dungeon and did pretty well. Didn't make much money but that's how it goes :- )

Also in reference to jarboo's post above here are some of my previous suggestions. Thought it might be good to air them again as many are still applicable.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpo...&postcount=294

This has my ideas on specials and bosses needing to be enhanced. They still sum up my feelings well. The rest of the post isn't as relevant anymore

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpo...&postcount=302

Idea on how to separate this further from Dungeon Raid (magic system... and more events)

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpo...&postcount=432

Idea for how to handle people spamming earlier dungeons AND separate the game more from Dungeon Raid by giving actual endings to most of the caves.

Keep up the good work Syen!

Last edited by eflin; 01-15-2013 at 09:06 AM..
Old 01-16-2013, 05:56 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflin View Post
Only played through the update once but it was a nice improvement overall. I'll likely play it some more later... but that said... unless there are some pretty significant updates I likely will only be playing this every once and a while from now on. I've kind of tapped myself out on it and it's feeling a lot like grinding now a days as opposed to a feeling of "how long can I survive?". This is largely because I don't feel like my strategic decisions make a difference. It only matters how upgraded I am (and a tiny bit luck based in the special monster affixes). Not trying to be a downer but want to give honest feedback to help improve the game more!

Here are my impressions of the update though:

1) The new graphics are nice. Kind of odd that the menus were updated before the in game screen though as that's what we see more often. Is that also being updated?
2) Difficulty did not seem that much different for me. I played the 4th dungeon and did pretty well. Didn't make much money but that's how it goes :- )

Also in reference to jarboo's post above here are some of my previous suggestions. Thought it might be good to air them again as many are still applicable.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpo...&postcount=294

This has my ideas on specials and bosses needing to be enhanced. They still sum up my feelings well. The rest of the post isn't as relevant anymore

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpo...&postcount=302

Idea on how to separate this further from Dungeon Raid (magic system... and more events)

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpo...&postcount=432

Idea for how to handle people spamming earlier dungeons AND separate the game more from Dungeon Raid by giving actual endings to most of the caves.

Keep up the good work Syen!
Thanks for the links eflin, yea i remember all your suggestions! Will look into them in more detail when I start working on the update
Old 01-18-2013, 04:31 PM

Hey man, the quest "destroy three boss monsters "is broken. It's way easier than anything else and gives you 40 reputation.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:39 PM

Am I playing this game wrong? I'm like level 40 and still almost die immediately in the third dungeon. It's impossible to get upgrades too, since everything costs exorbitant amounts of gold! Any tips?
Old 01-31-2013, 03:35 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Hi Sven, your game is awesome!
One question: in my iphone 4, when i click on Arena it says i can't play pvp in this device.
Am i missing something???
Thx
Old 01-31-2013, 08:19 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo View Post
Hi Sven, your game is awesome!
One question: in my iphone 4, when i click on Arena it says i can't play pvp in this device.
Am i missing something???
Thx
Thanks mate! Hmm, really weird, which iOS do you have? And do you have the latest update of the game?