★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Raving Manor released!

06-13-2009, 11:13 PM
Raving Manor released!

The creators of White House Escape are back with Raving Manor! Hearkening back to the good old days of adventure games, you find yourself trapped in a haunted house and must escape before your opportunity slips away...

App Store Link

Quote:
You are on a drive home from the airport, anxious to see family. You take a shortcut you know only too well, and suddenly the rented vehicle dies. With no other choice, you start walking. But a sudden pounding rainstorm forces you to take shelter, and you head for an abandoned mansion. Before you know it, you are trapped. This is not your day - you must now escape from RAVING MANOR!

Raving Manor is a cross between a classic adventure game and a graphic novel. You must go through the manor, finding objects and clues that might help you with your escape, pitting your wits against the unknown. Will you find your way out?

Only time will tell, but everything you do is presented to you in a stylish manner. The game is designed to be friendly in a pick up and play manner, automatically saving progress in case life interrupts the adventure. The game also incorporates built in notes, allowing you to keep track of your predicament as you explore the haunted halls of Raving Manor.

The game is presented by iAdventureGame, and it is supported by a website and email. In case the going gets too rough (the dear departed doctor may have left things in a bit of a disarray), hints are available on the website.

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre
06-13-2009, 11:43 PM
Nice. Im going to have to pick this up.

Check us out in the new book 500 Things to Eat Before its too Late by James Beard Lifetime Achievment Award Winners and Authors of the Roadfood column in Gourmet Magazine, Jane and Michael Stern. This is BIG people!!
Read About us in the SJ Mercury News

06-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Being a fan of adventure games and comics (and old games like Shadowgate and the Uninvited) it was only natural that I'd give this game a shot... but boy was that a mistake.

At first the game was really well done, but the further into the game I got, the more bugs and typos I dug up. These guys really need a better testing team (or a testing team period). I've never played their other game, but right now I'm not so sure that I want to. Any idea if these guys are working on an update for Raving Manor?
06-19-2009, 05:05 PM
Looks like a creepy adventure game
06-19-2009, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardrich View Post
Being a fan of adventure games and comics (and old games like Shadowgate and the Uninvited) it was only natural that I'd give this game a shot... but boy was that a mistake.

At first the game was really well done, but the further into the game I got, the more bugs and typos I dug up. These guys really need a better testing team (or a testing team period). I've never played their other game, but right now I'm not so sure that I want to. Any idea if these guys are working on an update for Raving Manor?
Not sure about an update, but it's a bummer to hear about the issues you ran into. Did you actually finish the game?

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre
06-19-2009, 07:20 PM
Not yet. I'm not sure if Im stuck from a glitch or for a legit reason. I can't actually read any of the comic pages that appear when I use the matches On anything combustable because the item screen doesn't go away ad covers up like 3/4 of the page. I'm at a part where I have two things that require a 4 digit combination and one item that *may* be hinting at one of the combos. But it could also just be a red herring. There's also no real hint as to what order to enter the numbers but i've tried almost everythin to no avail. I'm begining to think this is big-related too. I'd really like to see the code or the game so I can try to help the guys out for an update.

Has anybody tried the whitehouse escape game? I'm just wondering if it's as buggy

(edit). They should actually include a walkthru on their site. It would help in cases like mine.

Last edited by wardrich; 06-19-2009 at 07:22 PM.
06-19-2009, 07:23 PM
can anyone let me know how exactly you get trapped in the mansion? i don't get it, couldnt you just crawl out a window or something? or is i like resident evil. where the dogs trap you in there...

on the other hand the game kinda looks like a comic, which raises my interest in it

yslandia- bruce lee. plus+/openfeint-sundance kid. gamecenter-hitmonleeurface
currently playing: yslandia, mega worm,bit trip beat,meow meow happy fight, zombie highway,monster dash,eboy fixpix,land air sea warfare.
06-19-2009, 07:54 PM
The intro actually reminded me a lot of that in The Uninvited, but it's pretty cliche.

It's late at night and you're driving a car.
You decide to take a shortcut.
Car dies, you're in the middle of nowhere.
Cell phone has no reception.
You see a house in the distance.
You decide to enter the house because it's late and you need to sleep.
The doors are unlocked, so you walk in.
Just as you enter, the doors slam shut and won't open anymore, so you're basically on your own to get out alive (Not that it's really possible to die in this game [that I've found out so far])
06-20-2009, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardrich View Post

Not yet. I'm not sure if Im stuck from a glitch or for a legit reason. I can't actually read any of the comic pages that appear when I use the matches On anything combustable because the item screen doesn't go away ad covers up like 3/4 of the page. I'm at a part where I have two things that require a 4 digit combination and one item that *may* be hinting at one of the combos. But it could also just be a red herring. There's also no real hint as to what order to enter the numbers but i've tried almost everythin to no avail. I'm begining to think this is big-related too. I'd really like to see the code or the game so I can try to help the guys out for an update.

Has anybody tried the whitehouse escape game? I'm just wondering if it's as buggy

(edit). They should actually include a walkthru on their site. It would help in cases like mine.
Wow, harsh.

But first things first, we are releasing an update - with luck, we will have it to Apple at the end of the week, if not before. The bug with the selector wheel and the matches was difficult to reproduce, but we have our hands around it now. FWIW, the bug has nothing to do with the actual solution path.

Now, hate to hear that you are stuck, but the hints on the website really should have been of assistance. Also, if you are stuck beyond that, please do not hesitate to send me an email (hints@iadventuregame.com). There have been many people helped in that manner, and you would be no exception. I state this repeatedly on the website, but let me assure it it is not a marketing gimmick.

<SPOILER ALERT>

To get by the challenges in Raving Manor you really do have to apply yourself a bit. But let's go with what you have stated here - you have two places where there are four digit codes. I am going to assume that you mean the trunk and the safe.

If you do not have the trunk open yet, then the safe is out of reach. Trust me. So, let's focus on the trunk. There is a wall writing that states,

Yb ylia - qbii qeb qorkh ql “lmbk”

Translated (Yeah, I'm giving you one here, following the hints, offset of four, a=d), it says,

Be bold - tell the trunk to “open”

Okay, so you have a trunk with a four digit code, and an in-game hint that says to tell it to open. How would you "tell" a trunk with a four digit code to open? Well, you would probably dial up the word on the code. Let's see, ''O" would equal 15 by my counting...

Try that, see if that puts you in the right direction. If not, give me a shout at the hint email address (or any of them for that matter). My goal is to make it a good experience for you. And in doing so I have better products - the guys here have been VERY helpful (and honest), and with every person that takes the time to connect it just makes it better. So I would be foolish to not make sure that everyone gets help if they ask for it.

But as to having a complete walkthrough on the site - let me just say now that is is not going to happen. That is not the market (or the mindset) that I am trying to connect with. By keeping it as separate hints online it encourages a self found solution (less hassle to explore than going back online - at least in theory).

Interesting to note, though, Raving Manor has been criticized for being too hard AND too easy - which delights me, since that would almost suggest a balanced gameplay.

Thanks for playing Raving Manor, and do not hesitate to shout if you get in a tight spot in the game.

Have a Great Day,
Greg Chaffins
iAdventureGame

P.S. - nice synopsis of the game start. You left out a bit part about it raining hard forcing you to take shelter, but I could not have done any better.

Last edited by iAdventureGame; 06-20-2009 at 07:25 AM. Reason: added p.s.
06-20-2009, 07:38 AM
should drop the price until the update comes out.