★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Hamster House

11-28-2008, 05:51 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Hamster House

Anyone tried this yet?
It looks good, kind of like the old 16bit games which I really miss.
Is it side-scrolling platform? how's the control?

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=297765977&mt=8
11-28-2008, 08:24 AM
I bought it, and I am sad to say I don't like it very much. The graphics are nice but the framerate is really bad, and I don't really like the controls. Seems like the devs have missed that the iPhone/iPods has multi-touch - because if you jump and keep holding the jump button you can't move at the same time, you need to jump, release the button and then press any of the the move buttons.

I guess if you can live with these shortcomings, it's a pretty decent game.

11-28-2008, 10:06 AM
Even if controls are not the best (but you get used to it very quickly and it is a thing, they can repair in upcoming updates, hopefully), the game is FULL OF LOVE. Sweet characters, great pixel style, a little storyline....all in all a charming retro feel. I really enjoy playing it. Above average and very unique on the iPhone at the moment.

{ Permanently addicted to: 868-HACK }
I perform. Therefore I am. You should book me.
..::: METROCCOLIS :::..
11-28-2008, 10:47 AM
So how is the framerate, like sickeningly choppy, or does it stutter just a little?
Oh, and how long is it?
11-28-2008, 11:03 AM
I can't stand that at least 3 of the reviews are all by someone who has no prior reviews and all seem to be similar style reviews. Developers, please don't take us for idiots.
11-28-2008, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iago View Post
I can't stand that at least 3 of the reviews are all by someone who has no prior reviews and all seem to be similar style reviews. Developers, please don't take us for idiots.
Hahaha, I HATE that!
Were not stupid... all the time

"Insert generic signature here"
11-28-2008, 11:15 AM
I actually bought it as an impulse buy because I thought it looked so cute and it has been the game I have spent the most time on over the past few days. One thing I don't like is that the characters don't repeat what they've said and somethines I accidently skip what they say the first time.
The contols are really easy to get used to, and I have had no framerate issues.
Overall it was worth my money because the game is well done and takes longer than 2 minutes to finish.
11-28-2008, 03:46 PM
Sydney S:
so in your opinion, does it feel and play like some classic games such as Bubsy? or what kind of game is it? what's the mission and how do we play it? do we have to shoot enemies or just explore the worlds to collect all items? is the control using virtual d-pad?

Sorry, I just want to know as much as possible as the developer seems not to be active and most likely never roll out an update.
11-29-2008, 08:54 PM
Great retro side-scrolling platformer

I just bought this game and played for around 5 minutes. It's a cool retro gem - very rare to get a quality side-scrolling platformer on AppStore.
The graphics remind me of Sega Genesis games, which I'm fond of.

The issues I have so far is the choppy framerate and lack of multi-touch. eg: as someone said above, you can't press jump while you're walking.

Apart from this two, it's a great game. Feels like a real game where there's story, worlds to explore, etc. AppStore is really lacking this kind of game as most games are only 5 minutes time killer.

I don't know why this title is soooo overlooked.
11-29-2008, 09:34 PM
There is no shooting in the game, you jump on enemies to get rid of them and collect stars. It is a collect item game, butbpart of the fun is how detailed and huge each level is that you have to collect from.
The overall mission is to collect items and make the 'hamster house' as beautiful as you can while bringing down the gofers.
Overall, I think it's really unique and fun.

Edit**
I forgot that you can shoot enemies with fire if you swallow a special power up

Last edited by SydneyS; 11-29-2008 at 09:53 PM.