• Publisher: James Daniels
  • Genre: Racing
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 42.6 MB
  • Version: 2.55
  • Price: $4.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: "Bite sized, action-packed stages; boils down the GTA flavor to an intense punch" - AppSpy.com

Payback˛ is the long-awaited sequel to the hit GTA-style game from the early days of the App Store. It concentrates that classic formula by offering exciting event-based gameplay that is all action, all of the time. (Although of course the free roaming mode is still available as well.)

Featuring nine game modes, loads of weapons, dozens of vehicles, and events with everything from massive gang battles to rocket car races to epic tank duels, the variety is endless.

As well as the fifty career events, you can build your own custom events and play them against AI, your friends or the rest of the world through the game's extensive multiplayer and Game Center support.

PRESS COVERAGE:

Gaming App of The Day - Kotaku.com

"[Payback˛] manages to create a sense of overblown fun that permeates everything from straightforward races to capture the flag-inspired heists ... an immensely entertaining experience" - pocketgamer.co.uk

Featured as one of the best games of the week by The Guardian

Hen14's comments:

iPhone only version:
http://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/payback2/id442779965
10-03-2012, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualBoyFreak View Post
Thanks. What's the size once installed? I've seen 40MB files which occupy 200MB installed... Is Payback2 one of these?
From what I can see it's between 43 and 44 mb installed
10-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Well, if it's good, I might consider this. I don't have any of the GTA games on my device currently mainly due to lack of space. But I can't see how this could possibly be that good of a GTA-clone with that file size. Certainly not as "open world".

Interested to hear some more impressions though.
10-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
Well, if it's good, I might consider this. I don't have any of the GTA games on my device currently mainly due to lack of space. But I can't see how this could possibly be that good of a GTA-clone with that file size. Certainly not as "open world".

Interested to hear some more impressions though.
From Sanuku's video, comments from DerKleine and my experience with Payback 1, which I played A LOT on the GBA, I think this is not exactly like GTA, nor even Payback 1. This seems like the missions you found in Payback 1 when free roaming around the city, but without the free roaming. Yes, you can roam freely while you look for gangsters to kill, but to get to each mission you don't have to find a phone cabin in which the boss gives you the mission, you just choose it from the main menu. Then you're laid somewhere in the map and there you go: have a race, kill gangsters, etc.

I said it was instabuy, but now I don't know what to do. On one hand it seems a great idea very well suited for mobile phones: 1-2 minute missions single-player or online multiplayer which you can play when you have a few minutes to spare. On the other hand, it looks like another dual stick shooter.

One thing which can turn me towards buying it is the possibilities that generating your own missions give you, but the fact that there's no story -even a simple one like "I want to be the king of the city, let's make money"- turns me down. I'll think about it in the next few hours and read what others have to say about the game before deciding if I buy or not. One good thing is that it is a premium game. Period. No IAP nor anything similar. I appreciate that. Also the filesize. 44MB installed is just great.
10-03-2012, 11:04 AM
This shouldn't be called payback 2. Its nothing like the first. Its a bunch of bot matches in small environments. It might be good in its own right, but its not a GTA style game at all.

The camera spinning all over gives me severe motion sickness. I can only play for a minute until I feel nauseous.
10-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
This shouldn't be called payback 2. Its nothing like the first. Its a bunch of bot matches in small environments. It might be good in its own right, but its not a GTA style game at all.

The camera spinning all over gives me severe motion sickness. I can only play for a minute until I feel nauseous.
I was going to ask about that, is there a way to set it where the camera doesn't spin around?
10-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BazookaTime View Post
I was going to ask about that, is there a way to set it where the camera doesn't spin around?
Nope. ll you can do is change the camera height.
10-03-2012, 11:34 AM
After an hour of youtube processing the video, here you go:

10-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redribbon View Post
Definitely stay away from this game. Thank u sanuku and DK for saving my money. This game will never be good. If you already own gtacw then there is no reason why you should buy this game considering its not cheap.
I agree with the price point, but I don't think this is comparable to any GTA, nor even Payback 1. I think smj is right: it's a bunch of bot matches in small environments. The questions that arise me are:

- How big can environments be? If there are helicopters, they should be acceptably big to fly in them.
- How much customization does the match editor allow? If it allows the changing of many options, that would be great.
- For how long can this game keep the interest pf the player? Yes, multiplayer is great, but how many different kind of missions are there? From the video, I see that there are races and gangster killing (both with guns and grenades), but not too many more.

And last but not least... Will the price go down next week if sales don't go well? That would give a very bad image.

I don't think you have to keep away from this game, just know what it offers.
10-03-2012, 12:31 PM
Wow... So from these impressions I'm really dissapointed. I really enjoyed the first one back in it's time... But this... looks totally different... Oh well...

Currently Enjoying: BUG HEROES 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Ninny speaks the truth.