Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 10-05-2012, 03:16 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default Alien Frontiers

A Euro Board game classic, Alien Frontiers, has come to the iPad!

You can find more info about it here, in the upcoming thread:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=2469656

Last edited by LordGek; 10-05-2012 at 03:19 PM..
Old 10-05-2012, 03:35 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

The Boardgame Geek listing for Alien Frontiers contains a lot more detail on the physical variant.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:41 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Looks very interesting!
Old 10-05-2012, 04:43 PM

Played the physical board game once and really enjoyed it.

Looking forward to reading some reviews.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:24 PM
iPad, iOS 5.x

i would like to know if there is a tutorial
Old 10-05-2012, 07:37 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew96 View Post
i would like to know if there is a tutorial
Nope, but the 11 page PDF is pretty in depth complete with a quick little reference card hitting all of the key points of Satellite Operation.

I'm a good ways into my first game (I never played the physical board game) and while it was a bit overwhelming at first, I think I have a grip on the basics.

Each player starts with 3 ships (dice) which are essentially your workers that you'll use to create more ships, fuel, ore, and colonists in the various satellites orbiting the planet. The trick with these various satellites, is that besides needing an opening to use them (if another player has claimed all of the limited spaces of a satellite facility, tough tooties for you), many of them have very specific ship placement rules (to use this satellite you'll need three dice/ships of matching value). It is safe to say the biggest common theme of the orbiting satellites is colonist creation as it is these colonies that one earns their victory points from. Also, as an added bonus, if you ever own the majority of colonist in a given region you'll have access to that region's special ability that almost invariably gives you some sort of advantage in using the satellite hovering above it.

If all of this weren't at least somewhat straight forward there is one final twist, and that comes by way of the Alien Artifacts (each player starts the game with one random artifact and can grab more from one of the game's satellites). Each turn you are allowed to use one of them and they'll allow you to cheat the system in way or another. Like a Plasma Beam to blast some opposing player's ship out of your way or a Booster Pod to raise the value of one of your yet placed ships by one point.

I'm liking the game's strategic depth as you're not only trying to manage the chaos of your dice rolls and grabbing a ride on the always very limited seating in each of the satellites, but need to figure out how to make the best of your current batch of artifacts to dominate your opposition. As it stands so often in games like this (Le Havre), I technically know how to play but have no firm grasp on winning strategies.

My only whine at this point is the lack of any sort of stat tracking. I guess it also lacks online play (just local or AI opponents at this point), but this isn't a big issue for me.

4/5
Old 10-05-2012, 07:38 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Looked over the rules some time ago on BGG and it looks like it could be hit or miss on iOS.

Any reviews?
Old 10-05-2012, 08:45 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

LordGek, as always your reviews are insightful and appreciated.

Hmmm...no tutorial? Based on the screens, the board looks pretty daunting. It could be my Friday-long-week-just-got-back-from-two-hour-commute inside voice freely typing away, but we need to read an eleven page doc? I'll wait for more impressions...

Last edited by ColeDaddy; 10-05-2012 at 08:50 PM..
Old 10-05-2012, 09:04 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeDaddy View Post
LordGek, as always your reviews are insightful and appreciated.

Hmmm...no tutorial? Based on the screens, the board looks pretty daunting. It could be my Friday-long-week-just-got-back-from-two-hour-commute inside voice freely typing away, but we need to read an eleven page doc? I'll wait for more impressions...
I personally found 1 real useful tool was to simply watch my opponent take his turn. The game keeps a detailed log of the entire game to refer back to. The manual is nicely organized (with a fair amount if pictures) so it was easy to jump right to a description of any orbitting satellite or artifact you weren't entirely clear on. Actually, the core gameplay was summed up in 2 pages with the remaning 9 pages just going into greater detail of each component.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:16 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Is $4.99 an intro sale price?