★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
10-26-2012, 04:16 AM
#71
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPE View Post
Just took this one, despite the fact apple has decided to increase prices in Europe and that annoyed me
Back to the game ... Only reading the instructions kind of killed me.
I am at a total loss here.
Honestly, just read the general way a turn is played, and immediatly try to play once. Don't bother with alien cards, just go back to the rulebook when you need to know what a satellite is doing and what bonus a planet gives. By the time you win, you'll have a more or less complete understanding of the game (which is really simple despite what you may believe at first). And then you can bother with the cards and add more players to the game.

At least, it worked for me and given the fact you play quite a lot of boardgames, should be no problem.

All times favorites : CAVE shooters, Space Invaders Infinity Gene, Groove Coaster, Infinity Blade 2, King of Dragon Pass, Ascension, Alien Frontier, Sorcery!, Gamebook Adventure
GameCenter: Corroyeur
10-26-2012, 04:34 AM
#72
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPE View Post
Just took this one, despite the fact apple has decided to increase prices in Europe and that annoyed me
Back to the game ... Only reading the instructions kind of killed me.
I am at a total loss here.
The rulebook is a little daunting, it could have been better formatted with an index and individual sectioned pages. Just try to think of it in terms of your dice, the two resources and your colonies for starters. You roll dice, place them as restricted by the various locations, and do those actions. Most of the actions require the two resources and the board does a great job of clearly showing how many resource tokens you'll need and what the rules are for placing the dice. Your final goal is to keep placing your colonies on the board until have placed them all, at which point the game ends.

You can ignore the alien tech cards and the field generators your first few games, those alter the rules in fun ways. The game is deceptively complex because everything is laid out on the board in such a compact manner. When you strip it down it's a light worker placement euro with dice, like Kingsburg. You only have two resource types, limited number of locations you can go to. The Factions expansion increases the depth of the game manifold. But even in its current state, the streamlined nature of the game means there's a lot more straight player interaction with locations being blocked, resources being stolen, ships being removed and ships being destroyed.

10-26-2012, 06:10 AM
#73
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: World, now Belgium
Posts: 3,031
Tried as you guys says and it get clearer ... And really fun t play.
10-26-2012, 08:06 AM
#74
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: World, now Belgium
Posts: 3,031
Can somebody explain me how the AI stole a card from me while I hand in my hand the holo decoy?
10-26-2012, 08:20 AM
#75
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPE View Post
Can somebody explain me how the AI stole a card from me while I hand in my hand the holo decoy?
It should have been forced to steal the Holo decoy. A bug of the new update?

All times favorites : CAVE shooters, Space Invaders Infinity Gene, Groove Coaster, Infinity Blade 2, King of Dragon Pass, Ascension, Alien Frontier, Sorcery!, Gamebook Adventure
GameCenter: Corroyeur
10-26-2012, 09:24 AM
#76
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevagrant View Post
It should have been forced to steal the Holo decoy. A bug of the new update?
thevagrant is right it shouldn't have happened. But out of curiosity, FPE, do you remember which AI did it?

Mac user since 1988
10-26-2012, 10:40 AM
#77
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: World, now Belgium
Posts: 3,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by funambulist View Post
thevagrant is right it shouldn't have happened. But out of curiosity, FPE, do you remember which AI did it?
The basic one, I mean the one proposed when starting the game, cadet is called (I think).
10-26-2012, 10:51 AM
#78
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Redding, CA, USA
Posts: 11,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPE View Post
The basic one, I mean the one proposed when starting the game, cadet is called (I think).
Did he steal the Holo Decoy? As I recall it isn't that you can't be stolen from but that if anyone does raid you, the Holo Decoy is the only thing they can steal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by From the Alien Frontier Manual
There is no fuel cost associated with this card and it
does not have a discard power. While you possess the
Holographic Decoy a player may not use the Raiders’
Outpost to steal resources from you. If the raiding
player wishes to steal an alien tech card from you then
they may only take your Holographic Decoy. If the
raiding player already has a Holographic Decoy then
the stolen card is discarded.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
OpenFeint, Plus+, & Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, Crystal, & iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews

Last edited by LordGek; 10-26-2012 at 10:55 AM.
10-26-2012, 10:57 AM
#79
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: World, now Belgium
Posts: 3,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
Did he steal the Holo Decoy? As I recall it isn't that you can't be stolen from but that if anyone does raid you, the Holo Decoy is the only thing they can steal.
It stole alien city.

Btw I do not understand fully how come my ships decrease over time.
10-26-2012, 11:02 AM
#80
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Redding, CA, USA
Posts: 11,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPE View Post
It stole alien city.

Btw I do not understand fully how come my ships decrease over time.
That sounds buggy then.

You lose a ship if you ever use that 1 die colonizer in the upper left outpost. There might be other means as well.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
OpenFeint, Plus+, & Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, Crystal, & iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews