★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Angry Birds Star Wars (By Rovio)

10-09-2012, 02:57 PM
#31
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axonometri View Post
I see where your coming from... but
through the eyes of a father of 3 young boys who like Star Wars, Angry Birds and the new Bad Piggies, this is actually going to be popular for the kiddos. It actually could be a great mash-up. I know for sure my oldest will like the idea and instantly ask for it for upcoming Birthday/Christmas... which is exactly what where Rovio and Lucas are betting their success at.

Is it a cash-grab idea? Sure.. a pretty genius one at that.
+1 to this. All the better if they've been creative and added new mechanics or change things up like they did in angry birds space. Insta buy for sure especially if it's $.99.
10-16-2012, 03:26 PM
#32
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: California, USA
Posts: 2,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybred96 View Post
Everything about the game aside...dude, did you just insult Star Wars!?
No, just Lucas pretty much. I said Star Wars is old...I loved Star Wars when it came out 100 years ago. I said Lucas is a douche...my opinion. What has he done since, besides ruin Indiana Jones, of course?

My first impression was "can't they do better than that?" I mean Star Wars is a huge title, but...well it's older than most people on this site probably. Perhaps George Lucas owns Rovio? They both seem to be incapable of coming up with any new concepts, so that would explain a lot!

Having said all that, there's nothing wrong with milking a title. I think Rovio need to expand their horizons a bit...but on the other hand, maybe getting rich is their goal, not making new and groundbreaking games. I don't fault them for that. I wanna be rich too

Quote:
psj3809
I think Rovio know what they're doing joining forces with George Lucas far more than some kid on an iOS site.
What kid would that be? I'm sure it's a great money-move, just seems a bit lame to me. But that's cuz I'm old, not young haha. I'm sure thay had Star Wars in mind when they came up with "Space" in the first place. I mean the whole Space idea seemed odd to me until this latest version.

Then again, I may need to eat my words when I release "Daredevil Chuck Norris"

Dave's Facebook page. Ya, I don't like FB either but oh well.

Find out about the upcoming Daredevil Dave 2!!!

The best place for info is right here in this thread at TA!

10-16-2012, 03:29 PM
#33
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 9,567
Wow... this Angry Birds business is getting out of hand... lol...

Currently Enjoying: BUG HEROES 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Ninny speaks the truth.
10-16-2012, 08:33 PM
#34
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 590
Send a message via Skype™ to ezone
I think it is a smart move. All my friends kids that are 5-10 years old LOVE star wars (mainly from the cartoon series) and LOVE angry birds.

What I'm waiting for is Angry Birds Star Wars Lego - now that will be big!!

Simon Edis Game Developer @ Ezone.com: Twitter, Game Blog

Diver Dash [Coming to iOS Sept 10th] Watch the Official Preview Video | TA Forum Thread
10-17-2012, 08:12 PM
#35
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: NYC, New York. USA
Posts: 2,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by schplurg View Post
Perhaps, but I would expect people (like myself) to say what a stupid idea this is and how sick of Angry Birds they are (and Star Wars for that matter). It seems sad to me for Rovio to go with an old title/douche like Star Wars/Lucas. Seems like kind of a "loser" move...maybe the soundtrack will have some old hits by Rod Stewart too???
Wow. That's a little harsh, Especially coming from another dev. If you could milk daredevil Dave like rovio does angry birds I can almost bet you would. And who knows, this might be awesome. And truthfully angry birds was way better of a game then dare devil Dave was. Just saying. Do your thing rovio. You got my purchase. I have a good feeling about this game, and I'm interested to see where they go with this.

Last edited by Fastbridge; 10-17-2012 at 08:21 PM.
10-17-2012, 10:22 PM
#36
Joined: May 2012
Location: In the Chatroom
Posts: 15,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjackid View Post
Wow... this Angry Birds business is getting out of hand... lol...
Yeah, never in my dreams would I have believed that Angry Birds would bring up such colorful insights, almost Dead Triggerish, but interesting none the less.
10-17-2012, 11:19 PM
#37
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,410
I actually think (rather, hope) this will be a great game.

My fav Star Wars game is Battlefront 2 on the PS2 some years back. I did play Force Unleased, but it lacked a little something.

Star Wars is among my top 3 movie franchises (besides LotR and PotC), so I am having good hopes. Considering AB Space was actually good, I may not be so wrong after all./
10-18-2012, 08:07 AM
#38
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: NYC, New York. USA
Posts: 2,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by schplurg View Post
No, just Lucas pretty much. I said Star Wars is old...I loved Star Wars when it came out 100 years ago. I said Lucas is a douche...my opinion. What has he done since, besides ruin Indiana Jones, of course?

My first impression was "can't they do better than that?" I mean Star Wars is a huge title, but...well it's older than most people on this site probably. Perhaps George Lucas owns Rovio? They both seem to be incapable of coming up with any new concepts, so that would explain a lot!

Having said all that, there's nothing wrong with milking a title. I think Rovio need to expand their horizons a bit...but on the other hand, maybe getting rich is their goal, not making new and groundbreaking games. I don't fault them for that. I wanna be rich too



What kid would that be? I'm sure it's a great money-move, just seems a bit lame to me. But that's cuz I'm old, not young haha. I'm sure thay had Star Wars in mind when they came up with "Space" in the first place. I mean the whole Space idea seemed odd to me until this latest version.

Then again, I may need to eat my words when I release "Daredevil Chuck Norris"
Arenot you making a sequel to dare devil Dave? Where's the originality in that? Your knocking a game that has out sold you a million to one. And truthfully I thought dare devil Dave was horrible. Dave should have been killed off in the first so maybe you would have done something different and original. And isn't evil kenievel your inspiration for this? If I recall he was in his prime just about when Star Wars was released or maybe even before then, so dont talk about it being old. You could only dream of having a collaboration with a company like Lucas arts , then just maybe ddd would actually be fun. I'm just shocked to see a post like that coming from another dev. Until your game sells millions of copies and sits on the top of the charts for years, then please don't knock rovio. They made a great decision with teaming up with Lucas arts and I'm super excited to get my hands on there game. And after reading your envious post, I would never think about buying ddd2. Which will prob be just as boring as the first.

"Dave, I am your father"
Attached Images
 
10-18-2012, 04:00 PM
#39
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: California, USA
Posts: 2,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbridge View Post
Arenot you making a sequel to dare devil Dave? Where's the originality in that? Your knocking a game that has out sold you a million to one. And truthfully I thought dare devil Dave was horrible. Dave should have been killed off in the first so maybe you would have done something different and original. And isn't evil kenievel your inspiration for this? If I recall he was in his prime just about when Star Wars was released or maybe even before then, so dont talk about it being old. You could only dream of having a collaboration with a company like Lucas arts , then just maybe ddd would actually be fun. I'm just shocked to see a post like that coming from another dev. Until your game sells millions of copies and sits on the top of the charts for years, then please don't knock rovio. They made a great decision with teaming up with Lucas arts and I'm super excited to get my hands on there game. And after reading your envious post, I would never think about buying ddd2. Which will prob be just as boring as the first.

"Dave, I am your father"
As I said,

"Having said all that, there's nothing wrong with milking a title. I think Rovio need to expand their horizons a bit...but on the other hand, maybe getting rich is their goal, not making new and groundbreaking games. I don't fault them for that. I wanna be rich too."

I simply stated my opinion, which is, in a nutshell, that Star Wars is old and stale and so is Angry Birds. At the same time, I don't fault them for wanting to make money. Sorry I upset you so much - I see you posted on my "Dave" thread as well. Daredevil Dave is not called Evel Knievel and I am not using his name to sell my game. If I could, and if I thought it would help, I might. Am I a hypocrite? Maybe, and I don't care.

Quote:
You could only dream of having a collaboration with a company like Lucas arts
We'll see...

Dave's Facebook page. Ya, I don't like FB either but oh well.

Find out about the upcoming Daredevil Dave 2!!!

The best place for info is right here in this thread at TA!
10-18-2012, 05:25 PM
#40
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 146
I think its a great Idea tho it does show where they are going and that they might have to come up with a new world to continue or they can do what Nintendo did with Mario and just make the birds like actors.

They can make Titles like:
Angry Birds Party
Angry Birds Cart Racer
Dr. Angry Birds puzzle fighter game

Etc...