★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

10 most desired iPhone game features

View Poll Results: Remember your favorite iPhone game and tick its feature that you appreciate most
Reasonable simplicity (not a complex gameplay) 10 15.87%
Clear idea 4 6.35%
Dynamic changes 3 4.76%
Scoring as a part of the game 2 3.17%
Multiple levels 6 9.52%
Competition with friends made easy 8 12.70%
Quick interaction (quick decisions required) 1 1.59%
Reason (you need to think, not just tap the screen) 9 14.29%
Graphics 13 20.63%
Updates (whether updates are essential) 7 11.11%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll
06-15-2009, 04:28 AM
10 most desired iPhone game features

I work at iBearSoft.com (producing apps for iPhone), and we have just made public our survey results regarding the top 10 most desired iPhone game features. Here is our list - and your own opinion on your favorite features is a lot welcome. I invite everyone to share.

Feature 1: Reasonable simplicity (meaning that a game must have good controls and a gameplay, which is easy to manage);
Feature 2: Clear idea (meaning that a game must appeal to the players with its main idea);
Feature 3: Dynamic changes (meaning that gamers expect that a gameplay must change quickly);
Feature 4: Scoring (meaning that gamers expect to see numerical results of their achievements);
Feature 5: Multiple levels (the gamers normally want to have many levels in one game);
Feature 6: Competition (gamers like to compete with each other, and want the game to allow such a possibility);
Feature 7: Quick interaction (meaning that gamers want to make a lot of movements per game);
Feature 8: Reason (meaning that a game must provide some logical challenge to the players);
Feature 9: Appearance (meaning that gamers like when the game has high quality graphics);
Feature 10. Updates (meaning that gamers like to have free updates, which may involve more levels and options available in the game).

For more information regarding the survey results and what we MEAN by each point, please refer to the following web page http://www.ibearsoft.com/en/blog/10_...e_features.php

Last edited by iBearSoft; 06-17-2009 at 01:18 AM. Reason: make it clearer
06-15-2009, 04:34 AM
I posted this on my blog around october of last year

"1. If I’m not able to resume my game after getting a call or text… DON’T PUT THAT **** IN THE APPSTORE! Why should I pay for a game that I have to start over every time I have to deal with the real world??

2. Please beta test your apps… Just go to any forum and look for people that seem reputable and ask if they will try your game or app out. I love beta testing and am willing to help however I can. Bug filled apps are not ok.

3. Don’t complain about the appstore economy and how you can’t sell your app for 5 dollars. Make a game/app with as high a quality as you possibly can and charge whatever you please. If the quality is there then the price won’t matter (just look at BeeJive and Jaadu)

4. Let me see my battery life or GTFO! This goes doubly when you are talking about games that involve the accelerometer or gps, they burn a lot or power and I need to be aware of my battery life. I can’t risk burning through the battery of my phone if I am going to be out all day

5. Let me choose how I want to hold my device!
In the counter clockwise landscape view:
- the volume button is facing down
- the volume button is flipped. pressing it left makes volume go up, pressing right makes it go down
- the speaker is covered by my right hand
- the headphone jack is covered by my left hand

In the clockwise landscape view:
- the volume button is on top of the device easily in reach
- the volume button is orientated correctly. pressing it left makes the volume go down, pressing right makes it go up
- the speaker is above my hand and uncovered
- the headphone jack is uncovered incase I want to play with my headphones in.

I prefer clockwise and it annoys me to no end that devs are refusing to put in the work to allow me to play the game I payed for COMFORTABLY"

06-15-2009, 04:45 AM
VegantTnT,
those are valuable comments, yet not quite what I meant when started the thread. At iBearSoft we were trying to figure out not just the features that can improve the games, but such features that make a game stick out. Interestingly, most of gamers did not want the game to be complicated, so we can say that a game can stick out easier IF it is NOt complicated rather than if it is. What you are writing is very important, yet relates more to usability of the game rather to its .. gist (so to say).
06-15-2009, 04:57 AM
You left out "A good storyline". I prefer games with a good novel like story: Interesting characters, suspense, surprises, etc.
06-15-2009, 05:38 AM
I really appreciate this thread iBearSoft, it presents interesting reading for anyone involved with iPhone development. Thanks!
06-15-2009, 05:53 AM
Quick loading, decent story or at least progression, and I would say most importantly and most lacking in a lot of games: replayability after the progression. For games with a number of levels this can be as easy as a lot have done with 'Quick Play' options; but I guess it's also down to the fact that a lot of the common iPhone game genres just don't provide obvious routes for extended replayability.
06-15-2009, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGewappnet View Post
You left out "A good storyline". I prefer games with a good novel like story: Interesting characters, suspense, surprises, etc.
You are right, we left out the good storyline. This is because (for whatever reasons) it was not among the top 10 most popular features... According to our findings, clear idea is more important than a good story... Although possibly some people meant a good story by clear idea.
06-15-2009, 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
I really appreciate this thread iBearSoft, it presents interesting reading for anyone involved with iPhone development. Thanks!
You are welcome We are basically PRO cooperation and overall quality increase.
06-15-2009, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiNZ View Post
I would say most importantly and most lacking in a lot of games: replayability
I second that... Replayability is the number-one required feature for me...

• Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond YnthParachute PanicChicken Raid
• Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox
06-15-2009, 07:23 AM
Folks, you are absolutely right that a good game MUST encourage gamers to play it again, however in our terms REPLAYABILITY is not a feature, but a quality. By FEATURES we mean WHAT the game consists of, and quality appears as a result of the features. So the question is, which features do you think make a game replayable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiNZ View Post
Quick loading, decent story or at least progression, and I would say most importantly and most lacking in a lot of games: replayability after the progression. For games with a number of levels this can be as easy as a lot have done with 'Quick Play' options; but I guess it's also down to the fact that a lot of the common iPhone game genres just don't provide obvious routes for extended replayability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettArchibald View Post
I second that... Replayability is the number-one required feature for me...