★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: iSamurai - contest winners

06-15-2009, 06:46 AM
iSamurai - contest winners

Below are the winners of Toy Kite Software's "Guess Our Game" contest.

Sorry for the delay in getting the results out--still catching up after getting back from the iPhone Launch Party.

We will be emailing the iTunes gift certificates to the email address that we have for you (unless you email me from the current email address to send the certificate to a different email address).

We read over all the answers carefully, and there were a lot of good ideas for future games or enhancements to iSamurai: Two-Player Sword Fight. All ten winners are Touch Arcade members.

First place goes to Brazilian Rider. Here is his guess:

"I'm Going on a limb here...
by Brazilian Rider - 04/29/2009 - 13:08
All those things that your programers are really high end stuff.
Most of it probably uses wireless configuration?
Anyways we all know that a StarWars Lightsaber app has come out where you use the accelerometer to swing the lightsaber.
What if they implemented that here and created a sort-of "sword-fighting" game where you swing the iPhone around to block/attack a computer OR, if they are really impressive, a human.
All the clues fit in perfectly with this idea, it is unique, probably if someone thinks of it first they will be able to do it, the swords were something that were much debated in TouchArcade and are/might be important.
This would also explain the tutorials and stuff needed. I REALLY hope this is right as it is my dream as a kid to have a game like this!
I dunno, but if they create a game like I think they will where you use the iPhone as a sword, I'd pay $9.99 for it!"

As you can see, he nailed it. We were amazed!

Originally, we announced that everyone was to get a $10 gift certificate, but after some discussion, we decided to give Brazilian Rider a $20 iTunes gift certificate.

The other winners are below. They each get a $10 iTunes gift certificate. These are in order received. By the way, some of these people became beta testers, but that was after they submitted their guesses.

by VeganTnT - 04/28/2009 - 05:16
by hazmat - 04/29/2009 - 15:15
by bojack13 - 04/29/2009 - 09:30
by DHrox - 04/29/2009 - 13:48
by anduril_ukr - 05/02/2009 - 09:45
by 21duc29 - 06/10/2009 - 02:58
by Jeep - 06/10/2009 - 05:28
by daniglue - 06/10/2009 - 07:34
by Emily - 6/10/2009, at 8:45

Thanks for playing our game and for the ideas.

(If you want me to send your certificate to a different email address, please let me know right away. I plan to send the certificates this evening.)

:-)

Doug Hogg
http://isamuraiapp.com
http://toykite.com
http://twitter.com/toykitesoftware

Last edited by doughogg; 06-15-2009 at 06:57 AM.
06-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Congratulations to all the winners! Too bad my idea about remote controlled robots wasn't right

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre

06-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Congrats Brazilian Rider! (And others!).

When I read Brazilian's idea I thought he'd be miles off. I didn't believe this could be done with an iphone, there had to be a graphic element to a sword fighting game. When I saw the video from Frisco I thought: errr... another light saber app... But the latest video form the isamurai website just blew me away: it DOES work!

Here we have a new device with new features that can do new stuff. And every now and again comes a dev who uses that to push the envelope. I think isamurai is a very bold move from a great dev, and the way the app got panned here on release just shows that most gamers are very traditional in their tastes and expectations. I hope this game finds its audience and gets the success it deserves. Even better, I hope it will give ideas for other creative apps.

Playing: Solipskier, Edge, Ground Effect, Bobble Surfer, Minigore, 2012 Zombies vs Aliens, iSR, Pocket God, Slotz, Zen Bound 2, Crazy Snowboard, Vector Tank, ...
06-15-2009, 12:44 PM
And what exactly did they give you to say all that? Oh, a 10 dollar gift card. This game got laughed at because it is what it is..Crap. It doesn't push any boundaries and its nothing new.

If you think this is fun then I can save you a dollar, cause I got some cardboard tubes that are not only recyclable!! but can be used to smack a friend and make a cool sound effect to boot!!

Games are a medium used to stimulate your mind and senses. Please don't lump this crap in that category.
06-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellowFellow View Post
And what exactly did they give you to say all that? Oh, a 10 dollar gift card. This game got laughed at because it is what it is..Crap. It doesn't push any boundaries and its nothing new.

If you think this is fun then I can save you a dollar, cause I got some cardboard tubes that are not only recyclable!! but can be used to smack a friend and make a cool sound effect to boot!!

Games are a medium used to stimulate your mind and senses. Please don't lump this crap in that category.
Thanks for proving my point!

Playing: Solipskier, Edge, Ground Effect, Bobble Surfer, Minigore, 2012 Zombies vs Aliens, iSR, Pocket God, Slotz, Zen Bound 2, Crazy Snowboard, Vector Tank, ...
06-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Quote:
cause I got some cardboard tubes that are not only recyclable!! but can be used to smack a friend and make a cool sound effect to boot!!
That was the only option when i was a kid way back when. Wrap some tin foil around it, maybe use a pringles can with the more foil, put it on your arm to have makeshift armor, and beat the crap outta yer friend, brother or sister.
06-15-2009, 01:43 PM
It's kind of like Wii Sports Tennis. It's cool for the first 4 hours, I'll give you that, but then you realize you can grab two racquets, a can of balls, and just go to a public court for much less than $250, while actually getting a work-out. The only reason I play video games is because they allow me to do stuff I can't otherwise do in real life. This app simulates a stripped down version of hitting another person with a cardboard tube. It's not even as fun, batteries eventually run out, and I have to worry about my $400 machines flying out of my hand and me sobbing uncontrollably. While it is much better than the countless fart apps and cheap, unpolished crapps out there, it does nothing to impress me. If it ain't broke...
06-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Quote:
And what exactly did they give you to say all that? Oh, a 10 dollar gift card.
Actually there were no strings attached to the prizes. In fact, we didn't make any requests at all. The other winners can verify that.

Quote:
It doesn't push any boundaries and its nothing new.
I am curious: is there another Wii-like game for the iPhone? I can't find one, so if anyone knows of one, please let me know.

Now that we have released a free version, people can just try it and see for themselves whether it is fun or not.

Doug Hogg
http://isamuraiapp.com
http://toykite.com
http://twitter.com/toykitesoftware
06-16-2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks to everyone who played our "Guess Our Game" contest.

All the gift certificates have been sent.

If any of the winners did not get theirs, please let me know.

Doug Hogg
Toy Kite Software