★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Reserving game name.

06-15-2009, 09:04 AM
Reserving game name.

Is there a way to reserve a game name?
06-15-2009, 09:36 AM
Sure.

Go into iTunes Connect, add new application, fill in all the info and select the 'upload binary later' option.

Didev Studios || Twitter || YouTube || Facebook
Releases
GeoSnake || Bugz || Review Scraper (Open Source)

06-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Dont tell Khalid Shakid (or whatever his name is).
06-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertWittyName View Post
Sure.

Go into iTunes Connect, add new application, fill in all the info and select the 'upload binary later' option.
Cool, thanks. Is it possible to change the icons and screenshots later or should have make sure I have to correct ones first?
06-15-2009, 12:07 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to rdklein
you can change it later and also the text need not be final (edit and upload the final images), do it best before you upload the binary.
(I just did the same thing for my upcoming game -- thanks for the hint also ! )
I

RadioactivityCounter on App Store developer of this App RadioactivityCounter 2012
Ports of Call on App Store developer of this game 1986-2009,
06-15-2009, 12:21 PM
This is where a lurker logs into a dev account and reserves every " iName " he can think of.

3D modelling, design and sequential artist / GameCenter ID: Diab
06-15-2009, 01:42 PM
Always thought they didn't reserve the name until a valid app was submitted for review. Name comes from the app bundle, not the description name that you give it in itunes connect store. I think. Right?
06-15-2009, 01:54 PM
If I'm not wrong, it is possible to have two apps by the same name. At least for the App name that appears on your device. I'm not too sure if Apple is safeguarding the other one for you. Registering it as your trademark is still a better bet.

Nexx Studio - Indie Game Publisher - Blog | Facebook | Twitter
Dulp - Zig Zag Boom - Sidechain - Warship Solitaire - Bloom Box - Pig Shot - Glow Puzzle - The Idiot Test 3 - and more awesome games!
06-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumps View Post
If I'm not wrong, it is possible to have two apps by the same name. At least for the App name that appears on your device. I'm not too sure if Apple is safeguarding the other one for you. Registering it as your trademark is still a better bet.
You can absolutely have 2 apps with the same name under the icon on the device. Happened to us. 3 weeks after we released our iBrawl boxing game some guy released a pathetic "iBrawl" pokemon whatver thingy. We sent countless notes to Apple about it and theur response was "get a lawyer and take them to court".

What you can't have is 2 apps with the same executable name or bundle name. They will reject your app for that reason. Which is why I'm fairly certain you would need to submit a valid app (even just for review) before you could stake a claim to that name.
01-12-2010, 12:57 AM
Argh. Just been had by this. Noticed a game has been released today of the same name as my half finished game

Reading this thread I gather the conclusion was that you cannot reserve a name.

iPhone dev: http://www.ivanmackintosh.com
Follow my latest game dev @ivan001 on Twitter