Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 10-07-2012, 11:25 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Default Polyroll, a run n' roll retro platformer. Out now!

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Introducing Polyroll! A run n' roll, retro platformer! The evil Kaiser Kiwi has kidnapped Polyroll's friends and taken them to his Frigid Castle Lair. As the last remaining Polyroll, you must run, jump, roll, float, and bomb your way through a variety of bizarre environments to save them and defeat Kaiser Kiwi.

*28 stages of retro-platforming action!
*Defeat nefarious bosses!
*Power up with a variety of special abilities!
*Track down the hidden gold gems to open new paths through the game!

YouTube: video

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/polyroll/id566408577?ls=1&mt=8

Last edited by Echoseven; 10-13-2012 at 09:19 PM..
Old 10-07-2012, 11:25 AM

Default Polyroll by Spicy Gyro Games

Old 10-07-2012, 11:29 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

hmmm... looks pretty nice, and I really enjoyed Clash Force. Might wind up snaggin this one. =oP
Old 10-07-2012, 11:30 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

Please tell me I was your first customer. :3
Old 10-07-2012, 11:31 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

K... before I go buyin this... umm... are the controls customizable? Since it's Universal, chances are I'll wind up playin on my iPad... but without customizable controls... meh...
Old 10-07-2012, 11:34 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Love the art style!
Old 10-07-2012, 11:39 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Alright... went ahead and bought it...

There are two control options, iPhone and iPad, with the iPad making the controls smaller and closer to the edges. Not fully customizable, but it does help on the bigger screen. =o)

Thanks for that!

K... so far... really enjoying it. Loads of platforming to be done, with a nice attack and upgrade system. But the only real drive to collect diamonds is to get HP. There's no scoring system, and diamonds don't add up... you get 9, collect a 10th, and the diamond number goes back to zero, and you get a heart, if you need one. You can carry up to 5 hearts...

Really wish there was a scoring system, and some GC integration. I'd love to go score chasing with this one. Achievements would also be fantastic. But since Clash Force never got GC support, I doubt it'll happen.

But that's really the only thing right now that I can say is holding Spicy Gyro's games behind within the genre.

Really, if you put the time in to making a scoring system (and one that adds multipliers for combo kills) - and add GameCenter integration with a leaderboard and some achievements, this would be perfect.

**edit**

you might also want to change your iPad screens to show the iPad controls instead of the bigger iPhone controls so that people know there's two options.

Last edited by syntheticvoid; 10-07-2012 at 11:58 AM..
Old 10-07-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
Please tell me I was your first customer. :3
Ha, I really have no idea. I won't get any sales information until tomorrow sometime.

Syntheticvoid, thank you for your feedback. With this one, I was aiming for the typical platforming experience of games like. . . well, you know. While those games did have scoring, it wasn't really a major aspect of them, they didn't even save your scores. Therefore, the level layouts aren't really designed with high-scoring in mind.

However, I know that a lot of people are into high-scoring and speed runs, so I will tell you to keep an eye out for my next game if that's your thing

I contemplated switching the controls for the ipad screens, but I was running behind schedule and just used the iphone screens. I will seriously think about changing that in the first update.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:22 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Nice surprise ! Downloading now, looking forward to playing this as i thought Clash Force was brilliant.

Told a few of my friends as well so they should also be getting this.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Nice surprise ! Downloading now, looking forward to playing this as i thought Clash Force was brilliant.

Told a few of my friends as well so they should also be getting this.
Just beat the first 4 levels, including the first boss fight. All in all it's a good game, clearly inspired by Sonic but without feeling like a watered down clone. The levels are long and complex, and reaching the gem (the ultimate but optional objective of every level) involves backtracking and finding the right power up. The controls work very well on an iPhone 4S. The pixelated graphics are nice but don't quite have that richness and "sheen" from Sonic. My only real complaint is that the physics are pretty floaty, but then again you could say that about Sonic, too.

The boss fight was fun, BTW. I like how it introduced another mechanic that built upon something I was already familiar with.