★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Tired of Words with Friends? Try LEXATRON, a word race!

"Overall Lexatron is a worthy addition to the word-play catalog for iOS."
- IndieGameReviewer.com

"Mixing familiar word play with a clearly defined goal is a wonderful idea."
- Kotaku

"All told, it's an awfully smart idea. It's Scrabble-meets-strategy, turning
the classic boardgame into a fearsome battle of short verbs, interconnected
words, and essential vowels."
- PocketGamer

"For lovers of classic games like Scrabble, Lexatron could be a nice diversion."
- iPhone Italia

Lexatron is a 2-player word race!

It's really easy to learn.

Form words using only your own letters starting from one corner of the board. Reach the opposite side first and win! Get blocked by your opponent's letters? Blow them up with a bomb and keep going!

Play online against random opponents or your Facebook friends. Play against your buddy sitting right next to you in a pass-and-play match.

Play up to 25 matches at a time!

Watch a video of gameplay here:

http://fictorial.com/lexatron

fictorial's comments:
Lexatron is a two-player, turn-based word game mixing elements of Scrabb1e and Tr0n.... with bombs!

The board is X-shaped with players starting on the top-left or bottom-left. The goal is to form words (Scrabb1e) to reach the opposite corner. You can only use your own letters which means your opponent can block you in (Tr0n). In that case when there's nowhere left to make a word, you lose. Or, if all the letters run out, the winner is the player with the most points. There's the familiar double-word-score (and friends) as well.

Learn how to play.

The main site is http://fictorial.com/lexatron.

Follow me on twitter
10-10-2012, 02:20 AM
Quick question that I have from watching the video of the game. Whats the point of the scoring system if the person that wins is the person that gets to their end point first? Why would I go out of my way to score more points when I can just go use the fastest route to the end and win?

Maybe it should end with who has the highest score? Or something like the person who reaches the end first gets points added for how many pieces they have laid down?

Looks like a cool version of scrabble though.

10-10-2012, 02:39 AM
I played the beta version and there's strategy involved. You can race for the finish... but if the opponent cuts you off and prevents you reaching the end, then it comes down to points. ...unless you get a bomb and blow their letters away.

řƹȡ1
10-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Is there any way to play asynchronously versus friends that are not on Facebook?
10-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Is there any way to play asynchronously versus friends that are not on Facebook?
THIS.

Game looks fantastic, but I wouldn't touch Facebook with a 10 foot pole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
10-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Yep, Facebook isn't necessary, it's just a convenience. Lexatron is a great game and I hope it gets at least a New & Noteworthy today.

Before getting it my fears were:

Would it be too fiddly on 3.5" screens? - NO
Was multiplayer local only? - NO, it supports online async and local pass & play

No GC right now but it's coming.
10-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to fictorial
Hi

Hi Guys,

I made Lexatron. To answer some of your questions...

The primary goal is to try and reach the end space (the star) for your color. If you and your opponent both get blocked from reaching your end space, you go for the most points.

Thus, the strategies are to get out of the blocks quickly, keep some common letters and vowels near the bonus spaces (e.g. 2L, 3W, !), and reserve your bomb tiles for the end-game since later in the match you are more likely to get blocked by your opponent's path.

You can find people to play:

- randomly
- by matching against users in your address book that already have the app (I ask your permission first and don't store email addresses!!)
- facebook friends with the app
- tweet to the world that you play Lexatron with your username (if you setup Twitter in the device settings)
- by exact username search (exact so as not to disclose users that have the app; privacy)
- by rematching players you've already played against
- or pass-and-play when you are physically next to a friend (e.g. on a boat with no Internet access)

The app is kicking ass and I'm excited that after a few short days it's at #30 in the word games ranking. Watch out Words with Friends!

Last edited by fictorial; 10-12-2012 at 11:48 PM.
10-13-2012, 03:40 AM
Probably a dumb question, but games are synced between devices right? So I can start a few games on iPad and finish them on my phone?

My band just released an album! iTunes / Facebook
10-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to fictorial
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdiss View Post
Probably a dumb question, but games are synced between devices right? So I can start a few games on iPad and finish them on my phone?
Yes, that's right!
10-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Game Impressions

Bought the game a few days ago and have been playing a bunch. It's pretty fun!

Comments, criticism, and suggestions:
- I wish a lot more people were playing... sometimes it can take a long time for the app to find someone to play against.
- I found a bug during a pass and play game where a tile seemed to get stuck under the tile rack after I tried to put one back onto it.
- The game really needs a "recall" button to bring all the tiles back to the rack at once
- I'm not sure about the colorful 'bubble' style buttons in some of the menus... everything else is so sleek and flat (which I love)
- Maybe downplay the 'Tron' aspects of your game... in looking for reviews and impressions online it seems a lot of people think this is actually supposed to BE some kind of Tron clone and get disappointed when they realize it's not an action game

Overall, though, I'm really enjoying it! Very unique idea and it's forcing me to think of word games in a much more strategic way. Hopefully more people start buying it!

My band just released an album! iTunes / Facebook