Support our Sponsors:

Old 11-04-2014, 01:41 PM

Default Kaka Ataka

hey everyone,
i'd appreciate feedback on the little game i just released, Kaka Ataka. you can get it for free at:
AppStore link: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id926243752

It's a kind of a tiny physics-based precision shooter.
My goal was to create an intense brief action game experience. A kind of game in which you can zone out fully engaged for a couple of minutes, and then get back to your work refreshed.
I tried to focus gameplay mechanic on several key elements, and let the game evolve in rhytm from soothing to frantic, without increasing its complexity.
Also, there are no upgrades, or collectibles - I liked the game that keeps you in a present moment, almost like an interactive toy.

Video gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wc5LYFw2Bw

A few screenshots:

I believe main problem about the game right now is that it's not catchy on first play, which is a shame because once a player starts "feeling" the simple one-touch controls, the game becomes very absorbing, almost meditative.
It's a kind of game that gets better, more interesting and more absorbing the better the player gets, and similarly to Super Hexagon, you can really feel getting better at it (I'm not trying to compare the actual game to Super Hexagon, that one is truly a work of brilliance). Some beta testers have had a gaming sessions of up to 3 hours at a time, which is quite a bit considering a typical game will be over in 30 seconds.
However, most of the players will give up after first try because game will appear at the same time too difficult and maybe too random (but there is very calculated "order" that requires precision manoeuvring and shooting from player, it's just not that apparent on a first try).

I'd love if you can check it out and give me some feedback on how to improve this.
How to increase the initial appeal of the game without making it more complex?
Thanks for your time, much appreciated!
Neko

Last edited by nosheet; 11-04-2014 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: improved readability through better formatting
Old 11-04-2014, 02:29 PM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

"Kaka" means "poo" in toddler-German.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:34 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
"Kaka" means "poo" in toddler-German.
I believe it's "kacka" but what are we talking about
Old 11-04-2014, 05:30 PM
iPad (4th Gen)

So, basically we're talking about birds that turd on you and you throw rocks at them to kill them?
Old 11-04-2014, 05:38 PM

@bigrand1: No, it's the opposite: you are the bird pooping at the people to protect your nest. Plus one annoying cop.
You control speed and direction of the bird, and aim at the people taking advantage of inertia. Also need to dodge stuff that people throw back at you, and avoid facing the cop.

@sink_or_swim, @vovin: Yep, kaka means poop on many languages. Quite suitable for a toilet game based on real-time poop physics

Last edited by nosheet; 11-04-2014 at 05:41 PM..