Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 10-10-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeKhan View Post
It is a world-builder sim. If your only definition of "gameplay" is running around shooting stuff, then you are narrowing your appreciation of the medium.

World English Dictionary
gameplay (ˈɡeɪmˌpleɪ)

— n
the plot of a computer or video game or the way that it is played
You know EXACTLY what I meant. Please don't pull this pretentious pseudo-intellectual condescension like I'm some kind of an ape man for wanting some kind of goal and gameplay systems used to achieve it.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:02 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Been waiting for a Sim Life type game. Could be pretty fun.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:04 AM

Send a message via MSN to JoshCM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinJ View Post
You know EXACTLY what I meant. Please don't pull this pretentious pseudo-intellectual condescension like I'm some kind of an ape man for wanting some kind of goal and gameplay systems used to achieve it.
we've released this version as a sandbox, which is more like a toy to play with. there aren't any goals, other than just enjoying the creation of world and watching things react. its always been an experiment, but we've never been able to shoehorn any meaningful 'gameplay' to it, so we just released it as the sandbox. will be curious to see what people think of it.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:07 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshCM View Post
we've released this version as a sandbox, which is more like a toy to play with. there aren't any goals, other than just enjoying the creation of world and watching things react. its always been an experiment, but we've never been able to shoehorn any meaningful 'gameplay' to it, so we just released it as the sandbox. will be curious to see what people think of it.
Oh well there goes the Sim Life idea, perhaps they can add depth over time.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:40 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshCM View Post
we've never been able to shoehorn any meaningful 'gameplay' to it, so we just released it as the sandbox.
I like a good sandbox to toy around in, but how can you not have dozens of good game-ideas to implement on a gorgeous-looking open-ended 'world designer plus creature generator'?

You'll get good ideas in no time from the community.

To start it off : an RPG generator for a species that you let loose on the world and that gets pitted in an ecosystem with species designed by other players (cf. Spore from Maxis without the annoying mini-games)
Old 10-10-2012, 12:13 PM
iPhone (Original), iOS 3.x

I'm happy the devs did not try to shoe-horn some bs mechanic in like they ended up doing with From Dust aka Lemmings 3D.

No, they can gather ideas and data from ppl that really stick with it and come up with great ideas THAT BUILD INTO THE SIMULATION as opposed to bolted on top.

<3 The Trailer!!
Old 10-10-2012, 12:49 PM

Very cool!
Old 10-10-2012, 01:51 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

This looks really great. I can't wait to get my hand on it later tonight or tomorrow. I personally am also glad no game mechanics were shoehorned in. I would actually rather never see any goals in that sense, and simply see more elements added to play with via updates. Assuming the game does well enough to support it, it would be great to see some regular updates that add more and more elements to the game (more animals, more types of landforms, and just so on).
Old 10-10-2012, 02:04 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by injuwarrior View Post
This looks really great. I can't wait to get my hand on it later tonight or tomorrow. I personally am also glad no game mechanics were shoehorned in. I would actually rather never see any goals in that sense, and simply see more elements added to play with via updates. Assuming the game does well enough to support it, it would be great to see some regular updates that add more and more elements to the game (more animals, more types of landforms, and just so on).
I haven't played it yet, but I've seen all the videos available and this is what I miss from them (maybe they exist and nobody has chosen them in the videos, so I might be wrong):

- Night & Day cycle: I've seen you can set the time of day through one menu, but I haven't seen that days change to nights and viceversa automatically.
- World size: can you choose the size of your world? If not, it would be cool to be able to give different sizes to the worlds.
- Weather: haven't seen weather. Maybe it could rain/snow sometimes depending on the height of the terrain.

As soon as I get to play it I'll put more impressions and/or ideas. Four more hours until it's available here in Spain.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:13 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

I will be dl'ing this as I get ready for work in the morning. I've had this on my upcoming list since it was announced. I'd like to second the idea of weather patterns. I think it would be great to watch how it played out over different terrain types and heights. Maybe also be able to change temps in different parts of the globe to affect the weather.