Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 10-10-2012, 10:58 AM
FlyinJ FlyinJ is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeKhan View Post
It is a world-builder sim. If your only definition of "gameplay" is running around shooting stuff, then you are narrowing your appreciation of the medium.

World English Dictionary
gameplay (ˈɡeɪmˌpleɪ)

— n
the plot of a computer or video game or the way that it is played
You know EXACTLY what I meant. Please don't pull this pretentious pseudo-intellectual condescension like I'm some kind of an ape man for wanting some kind of goal and gameplay systems used to achieve it.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-10-2012, 11:02 AM
1776-1865_RIP 1776-1865_RIP is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 135
Default

Been waiting for a Sim Life type game. Could be pretty fun.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-10-2012, 11:04 AM
JoshCM's Avatar
JoshCM JoshCM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 3,483
Send a message via MSN to JoshCM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinJ View Post
You know EXACTLY what I meant. Please don't pull this pretentious pseudo-intellectual condescension like I'm some kind of an ape man for wanting some kind of goal and gameplay systems used to achieve it.
we've released this version as a sandbox, which is more like a toy to play with. there aren't any goals, other than just enjoying the creation of world and watching things react. its always been an experiment, but we've never been able to shoehorn any meaningful 'gameplay' to it, so we just released it as the sandbox. will be curious to see what people think of it.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-10-2012, 11:07 AM
1776-1865_RIP 1776-1865_RIP is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshCM View Post
we've released this version as a sandbox, which is more like a toy to play with. there aren't any goals, other than just enjoying the creation of world and watching things react. its always been an experiment, but we've never been able to shoehorn any meaningful 'gameplay' to it, so we just released it as the sandbox. will be curious to see what people think of it.
Oh well there goes the Sim Life idea, perhaps they can add depth over time.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-10-2012, 11:40 AM
StratAll StratAll is offline
Member
iPad Air, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 62
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshCM View Post
we've never been able to shoehorn any meaningful 'gameplay' to it, so we just released it as the sandbox.
I like a good sandbox to toy around in, but how can you not have dozens of good game-ideas to implement on a gorgeous-looking open-ended 'world designer plus creature generator'?

You'll get good ideas in no time from the community.

To start it off : an RPG generator for a species that you let loose on the world and that gets pitted in an ecosystem with species designed by other players (cf. Spore from Maxis without the annoying mini-games)
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Estupendo1 Estupendo1 is offline
Senior Member
iPhone (Original), iOS 3.x
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 220
Default

I'm happy the devs did not try to shoe-horn some bs mechanic in like they ended up doing with From Dust aka Lemmings 3D.

No, they can gather ideas and data from ppl that really stick with it and come up with great ideas THAT BUILD INTO THE SIMULATION as opposed to bolted on top.

<3 The Trailer!!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-10-2012, 12:49 PM
callmericardo callmericardo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 308
Default

Very cool!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-10-2012, 01:51 PM
injuwarrior injuwarrior is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 1,517
Default

This looks really great. I can't wait to get my hand on it later tonight or tomorrow. I personally am also glad no game mechanics were shoehorned in. I would actually rather never see any goals in that sense, and simply see more elements added to play with via updates. Assuming the game does well enough to support it, it would be great to see some regular updates that add more and more elements to the game (more animals, more types of landforms, and just so on).
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-10-2012, 02:04 PM
VirtualBoyFreak VirtualBoyFreak is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Spain
Posts: 1,824
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by injuwarrior View Post
This looks really great. I can't wait to get my hand on it later tonight or tomorrow. I personally am also glad no game mechanics were shoehorned in. I would actually rather never see any goals in that sense, and simply see more elements added to play with via updates. Assuming the game does well enough to support it, it would be great to see some regular updates that add more and more elements to the game (more animals, more types of landforms, and just so on).
I haven't played it yet, but I've seen all the videos available and this is what I miss from them (maybe they exist and nobody has chosen them in the videos, so I might be wrong):

- Night & Day cycle: I've seen you can set the time of day through one menu, but I haven't seen that days change to nights and viceversa automatically.
- World size: can you choose the size of your world? If not, it would be cool to be able to give different sizes to the worlds.
- Weather: haven't seen weather. Maybe it could rain/snow sometimes depending on the height of the terrain.

As soon as I get to play it I'll put more impressions and/or ideas. Four more hours until it's available here in Spain.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Fractalrock Fractalrock is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 117
Default

I will be dl'ing this as I get ready for work in the morning. I've had this on my upcoming list since it was announced. I'd like to second the idea of weather patterns. I think it would be great to watch how it played out over different terrain types and heights. Maybe also be able to change temps in different parts of the globe to affect the weather.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent