Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 10-21-2012, 11:59 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post
yeah, I really did.

At first, it was a blast... but then the IAP system wore me down... upgrades are way too expensive, and every time I played I felt like I was just grinding/going through the motions just so that I could slowly gain currency for that one game out of 50 where I'd actually have to pay attention, and get as far as I could.

=o/
leaving aside high score chasing upgrades, are there any additional upgrades that can be reasonably earned?

with this kind of game, it seems like unless there were some upgrades or something to earn then it would be difficult to play for more than a couple of hrs. (of course this is invalidated if everything is IAP focused)
Old 10-21-2012, 12:02 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

not reasonably.

There's upgrades for how quickly your timer expires, and how many HP you've got...

There's also quite a few skins you can purchase, and extra characters...

But it's all priced very high, like something that you could just pick away at if you plan on having the game and playing it fairly often over the next year. =oP
Old 10-21-2012, 12:56 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Quote:
yeah, I really did.

At first, it was a blast... but then the IAP system wore me down... upgrades are way too expensive, and every time I played I felt like I was just grinding/going through the motions just so that I could slowly gain currency for that one game out of 50 where I'd actually have to pay attention, and get as far as I could.

=o/
Knowing full well where these conversations end up, I'll just say this. I understand that the market is what it is, but it does make me sad.

If you compared my iTunes receipts from a year ago with what I'm buying today, I think you'd be pretty shocked. It's just seems so hard to buy a game that you feel good about atm...

FTP, seemingly all paid games coming loaded with IAP, premium games with IAP, including non-persistent IAP? I really just wish I could buy a game and enjoy it, you know?

DBC
Old 10-21-2012, 01:28 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerboycroy View Post
Knowing full well where these conversations end up, I'll just say this. I understand that the market is what it is, but it does make me sad.

If you compared my iTunes receipts from a year ago with what I'm buying today, I think you'd be pretty shocked. It's just seems so hard to buy a game that you feel good about atm...

FTP, seemingly all paid games coming loaded with IAP, premium games with IAP, including non-persistent IAP? I really just wish I could buy a game and enjoy it, you know?

DBC
Amen friend! Amen
Old 10-21-2012, 01:31 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
not reasonably.

There's upgrades for how quickly your timer expires, and how many HP you've got...

But it's all priced very high, like something that you could just pick away at if you plan on having the game and playing it fairly often over the next year. =oP
that's a shame...I like it when there are some upgrades which need to be earned, but not when their requirements are unreasonably high just to get you to buy IAP

for example, i'm playing Super Mole Escape, and that's one where the cost of upgrades is perfectly balanced and really adds to the replayability of the game.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:36 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 8.x

Quote:
not reasonably.

Ok I've got nothing else planned for at least a year....I'm gonna play this game non stop for a year.....oh no I'm not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2012, 07:32 AM
iPhone 5

Guys, the game is balanced so you don't to buy coins.
I think - and that's our fault without any doubt - that the game does not tell you clearly, that you earn a lot of coins by doing missions. In the main menu you see 3 current missions on the blue bar and in the game, tap on the coffee icon to see what missions are to be done. Plus, you get more coins by simply joining Team Battles. That said, you can earn around thousand coins in 10-15 minutes. Each completed mission brings new one, that allows you to earn more coins etc. etc.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:25 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

that's all well and good until you get 3 objectives like I have now;

Beat your previous high score (which, when you've played one game with a 10x multiplier, is basically impossible until you gain enough coins to buy another 10x multiplier...)
Get 15,000 points without tossing
Grab 6 magnets

Now, I currently get around 450 coins every 20 minutes (with the added 150 or so since I'm competing in the team battles) - and then 1,000 coins if I'm lucky enough to choose the winning side every 3 or 4 days which brings it to about 7k coins every 5 hours... if I played 5 hours every 3 to 4 days (which I don't, because this is a casual mobile arcade title), I'd have around 8k coins...

the problem I have is that I'd have to play around 7 hours plus wait 4 days to get 1k coins if I'm lucky enough to be on the winning side of the team battles, if I'm not, add another hour, so 8 hours of grinding and not playing for a score just to get the 10x multiplier needed so that I could play ONE scoring run, and just hope to god that I don't screw it up, wasting all of that time.

Granted, it will be a little shorter if I manage to pass these 2 objectives that I've been stuck on for the last week and a half or so, plus the one that I just cleared and then got the 6 magnets objective, but even when I do manage to complete the 2 I'm stuck on, one gives me 200 coins and the other gives me 300, so it saves me about 25 minutes of play time after I dunno how many hours of gameplay...

point is... Funky Smugglers requires an INSANE amount of grinding if you want to actually play it like it's meant to be played... a score-chasing arcade game. Either that, or shell out for the highly priced consumables over and over again. Not to mention all the stuff that's only unlocked by paying massive amounts of currency, like the health improvements vip access, time ring boosts, extra characters, ect...

I just don't have the endless amount of hours or cash it'll take to actively take part in consistently playing this one, and I'm a pretty big iOS gamer. I can only imagine how casual iOS gamers feel about it.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:32 AM
Banned
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
that's all well and good until you get 3 objectives like I have now;

Beat your previous high score (which, when you've played one game with a 10x multiplier, is basically impossible until you gain enough coins to buy another 10x multiplier...)
Get 15,000 points without tossing
Grab 6 magnets

Now, I currently get around 450 coins every 20 minutes (with the added 150 or so since I'm competing in the team battles) - and then 1,000 coins if I'm lucky enough to choose the winning side every 3 or 4 days which brings it to about 7k coins every 5 hours... if I played 5 hours every 3 to 4 days (which I don't, because this is a casual mobile arcade title), I'd have around 8k coins...

the problem I have is that I'd have to play around 7 hours plus wait 4 days to get 1k coins if I'm lucky enough to be on the winning side of the team battles, if I'm not, add another hour, so 8 hours of grinding and not playing for a score just to get the 10x multiplier needed so that I could play ONE scoring run, and just hope to god that I don't screw it up, wasting all of that time.

Granted, it will be a little shorter if I manage to pass these 2 objectives that I've been stuck on for the last week and a half or so, plus the one that I just cleared and then got the 6 magnets objective, but even when I do manage to complete the 2 I'm stuck on, one gives me 200 coins and the other gives me 300, so it saves me about 25 minutes of play time after I dunno how many hours of gameplay...

point is... Funky Smugglers requires an INSANE amount of grinding if you want to actually play it like it's meant to be played... a score-chasing arcade game. Either that, or shell out for the highly priced consumables over and over again. Not to mention all the stuff that's only unlocked by paying massive amounts of currency, like the health improvements vip access, time ring boosts, extra characters, ect...

I just don't have the endless amount of hours or cash it'll take to actively take part in consistently playing this one, and I'm a pretty big iOS gamer. I can only imagine how casual iOS gamers feel about it.
I believe you have illustrated my own thoughts with inch-perfect perfection.

Since this is a high-scoring game, it is imperative that those with the 10x bonus will get the high scores. And for those w/o IAPs, getting the necessary 8k takes A LOT of grinding.

In 11 Bit's defence, they'd probably say the average gamer doesn't care about high scores. If that's the case, you really just get bored of the game after 45mins to an hour.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:29 AM
iPhone 5

So can I ask for a honest reply - what would you change in the update to make things comfortable? Would that be fine with you if we simply lowered the coins prices for the stuff?
Let us know, this is pretty important post you wrote (thanks)