Support our Sponsors:
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 11-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Blackharon's Avatar
Blackharon Blackharon is offline
Developer
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee View Post
In context of comparison to FAAD, this is totally irrelevant. And conversion is just slightly higher, especially considering the fact that Appoday is available just in countries that have a good conversion rates.
Oh? I didn't realize they were limited in the number of countries.

For me... they netted us almost 20% more users during the 3 days we were free, vs the 5 days we were free for FAAD.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-08-2012, 05:24 PM
StaggerLee's Avatar
StaggerLee StaggerLee is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackharon View Post
Oh? I didn't realize they were limited in the number of countries.

For me... they netted us almost 20% more users during the 3 days we were free, vs the 5 days we were free for FAAD.
Very strange. But you don't really know where you users are coming from - when you switch your game to free there are dozens of major sites and apps that will pick that up and generate the traffic.
Also, did you run the same game through both services ?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-09-2012, 07:59 AM
Blackharon's Avatar
Blackharon Blackharon is offline
Developer
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee View Post
Very strange. But you don't really know where you users are coming from - when you switch your game to free there are dozens of major sites and apps that will pick that up and generate the traffic.
Also, did you run the same game through both services ?
Same game, both services. 4 months apart (give or take a week or two).

You're right though, since I don't know where exactly the downloads came from it could have been a coincidence, though I'd suggest that since the first promotion was with FAAD, they would have had the advantage.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-17-2012, 03:20 AM
mozzarello mozzarello is offline
Junior Member
iPhone 4
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1
Default Great info

This is very interesting. Is the money upfront or revenue sharing after promotion?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-17-2012, 08:57 PM
DiVaio DiVaio is offline
Junior Member
iPhone (Original), iOS 1.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3
Default

From what I know, they only agree to work with upfront fee. I had the experience with Appoday recently, but the result is quite far from what I was expecting, actually not good.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-19-2012, 03:19 AM
R3v's Avatar
R3v R3v is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 135
Default

I had a Skype call with them yesterday. Very professional presentation from their side indeed. They work on CPI model and have much more channels than an iOS app. They are willing to help you with whole promotion process, however they also require polished game from your side.

Can't say more since we are going to sign NDA and I fully understood that when they showed me big developers and publishers they work with. Our game will be published around summer 2013 and we will probably try them during launch.

However, you should definitely contact them - they are willing to explain how everything works. Whole communication process was much better than my experience with FAAD.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-19-2012, 02:33 PM
khangtoh khangtoh is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinQsta View Post
FAAD is $3000 for a paid app without IAP to run a campaign. For an already free app to run a campaign is $6000.
It was 10K back in the days when they were the only one around... 6K is still a crazy amount..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-19-2012, 03:35 PM
HTWGames HTWGames is offline
Senior Member
iPad 2
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto/Vancouver
Posts: 267
Default

Spend your money on a marketing team for that much rather than some scam that gives your apps away for free... It's not worth the effort to hand out that many pieces of software to people to hope your exposure or your word of mouth extends anywhere past the eyes of the person downloading the game.

With all the app trackers out there no one will talk about your game enough to get back the 10s to 100s of thousands of dollars you're forking out in free software. They will just rape you of your work and then move on to the next days offering. This just isn't working for devs...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-19-2012, 03:45 PM
DannyTheElite DannyTheElite is offline
Senior Member
iPad Air, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Area 51
Posts: 2,919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTWGames View Post
Spend your money on a marketing team for that much rather than some scam that gives your apps away for free... It's not worth the effort to hand out that many pieces of software to people to hope your exposure or your word of mouth extends anywhere past the eyes of the person downloading the game.

With all the app trackers out there no one will talk about your game enough to get back the 10s to 100s of thousands of dollars you're forking out in free software. They will just rape you of your work and then move on to the next days offering. This just isn't working for devs...
I am not a dev but +1 to that point.
Also reward (right word?) early adopters not put it free or on sale a month after it releases
I am happy to pay so long as I get at least 3 months before it goes on sale.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-19-2012, 04:16 PM
HTWGames HTWGames is offline
Senior Member
iPad 2
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto/Vancouver
Posts: 267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyTheElite View Post
I am not a dev but +1 to that point.
Also reward (right word?) early adopters not put it free or on sale a month after it releases
I am happy to pay so long as I get at least 3 months before it goes on sale.
yeah it's unfortunate that putting your game on sale isn't just for the sake of creating and driving interest through a discounted price, but you have to consider the immediacy of a release... when it comes out you can see how well you're doing almost up to the hour. If you aren't seeing any movement then you will sink further into the muck of the app store.

More importantly though when you switch to a lower price you get picked up by price bots that blast out to everyone that your app has lowered in price. That is free blanket marketing right there that will allow you to be exposed...so don't take it personally when you see something like that happen. It's just the dev trying to manipulate the app trackers out there to give them free advertising in the lists.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent