★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Opinion of the piracy of games

View Poll Results: Is Piracy Acceptable?
Yes 4 11.11%
No 25 69.44%
In certain circumstances 7 19.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll
11-28-2008, 08:15 PM
Send a message via ICQ to brewstermax Send a message via AIM to brewstermax Send a message via MSN to brewstermax Send a message via Yahoo to brewstermax
Opinion of the piracy of games

This is a growing segment and an issue. Sites such as [edit] are destroying good devs on the store. It is illegal, immoral, and inexcusable. Who would steal from a dev, when the prices are so cheap anyway?

What do you think?
11-28-2008, 08:18 PM
I for one believe in the First Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America. With that said, I have the following motto: it ain't cheating if you don't get caught.

11-28-2008, 08:18 PM
i COMPLETELY agree with you piracy is WRONG
11-28-2008, 08:20 PM
Send a message via ICQ to brewstermax Send a message via AIM to brewstermax Send a message via MSN to brewstermax Send a message via Yahoo to brewstermax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everydaynormalguy View Post
I for one believe in the First Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America. With that said, I have the following motto: it ain't cheating if you don't get caught.
Oh yes it is. And what in the First Amendment does it say about stealing from honest people. I'm sure you're one of the ones that have helped cause devs go bankrupt.
11-28-2008, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Man you come out with some crazy sh!t sometimes
Excellent!

On topic, I think we have all discussed this enough here. I think we're all pretty much of the same opinion.
11-28-2008, 08:23 PM
Well, here's the sum of what I think, originally posted here in response to a stupid, dirty app stealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
Stealing applications is rediculous, "just trying them out" or not. Developers have put work into their apps and want to be paid for you using them and downloading them, whether you like them or not. To stop yourself from buying a crappy application, then read a review. I have never bought an app I regret getting because I read reviews and I suggest you do the same.

People have taken advantage of the jailbreak community by cracking applications and sucking the life out of indie game developers that need to feed families and get profit. If a dev wanted to give a trial of an application, they would have made one. If they wanted to put it in the jailbreak community, they would have put it there. But that is not for you to determine what a developer does with their application.

Also, you made yourself look like incompetent by contradicting yourself multiple times in the same thread and also by not understanding a metaphor. We all know you don't steal shirts (hopefully) but there's no difference between stealing that or stealing an app. Actually, there's not even a fair comparison of stealing a shirt and stealing an app. Someone didn't even put the quarter of effort into making that shirt (unless it's well-designed and hand-made) as someone did into coming up with the ideas, design, game mechanics, and coding put into an app that a dev could have spend months making. So in theory, what you've done is even more disgusting than stealing a shirt.

All of this adds on to the fact that there's devs all over this forum that read this and have seen that you're the kind of dirt-bag person that does this, and you've officially lost all respect from them. And I know that if I were a developer, I'd be disgusted to know there's people like you are stealing my applications that I would have put hard work into making.

I've never EVER been a fan of piracy and never will be.

*jumps up from chair* Under section 37B of the contract signed by you, it states quite clearly that all offers shall become null and void if - and you can read it for yourself in this photostatic copy *grabs a magnifying glass and reads* "I, the undersigned, shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein and herein contained," et cetera, et cetera..."Fax mentis incendium gloria cultum," et cetera, et cetera..."Memo bis punitor delicatum!"
It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal! You stole applications. You bumped into the wall of the jailbreak community which now has to be washed and sterilized, so you get NOTHING! You lose! Good day sir!

*inhale, exhale* AND /scene.
11-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Well, here's the sum of what I think, originally posted...
Yep, already gave that link mate
11-28-2008, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewstermax View Post
Oh yes it is. And what in the First Amendment does it say about stealing from honest people. I'm sure you're one of the ones that have helped cause devs go bankrupt.
Article 2 Section 1...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedyuthe View Post
Excellent!
I know. That's why I'm a legend...
11-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedyuthe View Post
Excellent!

On topic, I think we have all discussed this enough here. I think we're all pretty much of the same opinion.
Not even getting started.
11-28-2008, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Well, here's the sum of what I think, originally posted here in response to a stupid, dirty app stealer.
Yup that pretty much sums it up
Quote:
Article 2 Section 1...

I know. That's why I'm a legend...
A living legend, wow

"Insert generic signature here"