Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 10-13-2012, 05:38 AM
iPad mini

Default Skyriders [by Inverse Blue]

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by Echoseven; 10-16-2012 at 02:34 AM..
Old 10-13-2012, 06:39 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
Hi,

Here's a trailer for the game:

Youtube link | Pop Up

And a blog post about it's development here: http://inverseblue.com/?p=176

It's also out on Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...erse.skyriders

(Note - This initial release doesn't support 1136x640 on the iPhone 5, but this will be added ASAP. I'm waiting for middleware to be updated to support the new SDK! I've got a shiny new iPhone 5 myself, so I really want to get this in quickly!)

Thanks,

Dave 'bluescrn' Reed (Developer of Skyriders, also the programmer of Little Acorns)

Last edited by bluescrn; 10-13-2012 at 06:44 AM..
Old 10-13-2012, 08:51 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

So...

I've just had a chance to play through the first 5 stages... and WOW.

While Little Acorns is one of my favorite speedrun platformers on the iOS, the amount of polish found there can also be found here in Skyriders. The mechanics are great, including the polarity flip, and the scoring mechanics are fantastic. Keeping your boost bar up to maximize your score is a great inclusion.

I'm really psyched to get further into the game, but I'm already pretty damn impressed with it. =oD

Also, I should say that there's 3 control options - buttons in the lower left for movement with a button for jumping on the right... buttons on either side of the screen for movement, and then a tap anywhere towards the center of the screen for jumping, and tilt controls. Leaderboards for each zone, along with a total score board and 32 achievements are also included with the GameCenter integration.

There's also upgrades available which can increase your star collecting ability, longer boost time, score maximizer, shield charger and acceleration enhancer... (you're given upgrade points depending on your total score for the game, so far, they're spaced out every 1 million points - which is about 1 point every 3 stages or so)

THERE'S ALSO NO IAPS!!!

Definitely a nice game so far.

**edit**

You might want to think about changing the icon image. I know a LOT of gamers depend on icon pictures when browsing through the AppStore, and the star on a track doesn't really represent the game too well... maybe the alien with boost trails behind it (on the track) instead of the star would fit the game better...

just a thought. =oP

Last edited by syntheticvoid; 10-13-2012 at 08:53 AM..
Old 10-13-2012, 09:06 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Wow... pickin this up on SV's recommendation. Looks something i'd easily spend time on.

Also, i agree with the icon kinda looking off-putting.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:17 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Watched the video while downloading and it reminds me of the very underrated Starbounder which i liked so much.

Looks like Skyriders has more polish and more depth on the track designs which is highly preferred. Looking forward to sink some time in this one.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:16 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

@Dev: could you please add the option to disable horizon tilt, particularly when using touch controls?

Really nice game that issue aside.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:37 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post
**edit**

You might want to think about changing the icon image. I know a LOT of gamers depend on icon pictures when browsing through the AppStore, and the star on a track doesn't really represent the game too well... maybe the alien with boost trails behind it (on the track) instead of the star would fit the game better...

just a thought. =oP
Agree
Old 10-13-2012, 10:45 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsam80 View Post
Agree
I agree as well. The star looks a bit...generic. I think a good idea for an icon would be a tunnel twisting from one corner of the icon on a diagonal to a corner on the opposite side. I know that photography "rules" don't necessarily apply to graphic design, but, expecially in a game that emphasizes speed and movement, a less "static" image would suit it well. I think. I'm tired
Old 10-13-2012, 10:52 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Watched the video while downloading and it reminds me of the very underrated Starbounder which i liked so much.

Looks like Skyriders has more polish and more depth on the track designs which is highly preferred. Looking forward to sink some time in this one.
damn... went to re-download starbounder but it's been pulled...

guess I could go through my purchases.

I think I remember not getting too into it because of the lack of GameCenter (though I'm sure there was more, as there's plenty of games without GC I've gotten into...) - it needed something more.

Here... you've got the whole polarity/booster combo scoring thing goin on, which is great... and even if it didn't have GC, there's that drive to score better so that you can get more upgrade points. =oP
Old 10-13-2012, 11:01 AM
iPad, OS 4.x

Crikey - this reminds me of trailblazer for the commodore 64. Sold.

Have to agree on the icon though. It's pretty awful.