Evil Master Overlord - Real time dungeon defense strategy

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by LCDDreams, Oct 15, 2012.

1. LCDDreams

LCDDreams Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    #1 LCDDreams, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
    [​IMG]

Hi everyone
    We at LCD Dreams are wrapping up development on our first released title, Evil Master Overlord, or EMO for short (this is actually our second title in development - the first, Banished: The Reckoning, is a much bigger game and still in pre-alpha)! EMO is being developed by a collaboration between LCD Dreams and Ironbelly Studios.

EMO is a tongue-in-cheek, 3D real time dungeon defense game that is heavily inspired by dungeon defense and puzzle games like Dungeon Keeper and Tetris. Yes, we know, odd combination, but hear us out! The idea is that you build your dungeon at the same time it's being attacked by heroes, and you build it with items that come down one at a time in a queue. These items consist of various wall shapes, traps, barriers, and minions. You'll also have spells you can fire off, and your last line of defense is your Overlord.

You'll be able to outfit your Overlord with different weapons and armor. Weapons will be melee, ranged, and magic, and armor will be heavy, light, and minimal. Each will have its own set of stats, and what's more, they can be upgraded with gems!

Your Overlord will level up each time you complete a dungeon level (by preventing all of the heroes from reaching your loot), at which time you'll be able to add points to his stats. In addition, you'll also be able to upgrade your minions and traps through the use of Hero Pulp (yes, it drops from dead heroes :D). Of course, the heroes will get tougher with each dungeon level as well.

The game will be available simultaneously for iOS and Android in the near future. Before that though, we will be hosting a naming contest! We want our players to help us name some of the weapons and armor in the game. If your name gets chosen, you'll get a free gift card (to be decided - most likely iTunes and Amazon as choices)! Come back here or to one of the sites below for more info.

Check out our web site, www.evilmasteroverlord.com, facebook page, and twitter page for more info and updates, and below is some of our concept art and model renders.

[Update] We now have some wallpapers for your computer desktop and mobile devices! We'll have more in the future.

First gameplay trailer!

The EMO in heavy metal wielding sword and shield:
    [​IMG]

The Skeleton minion. Guard your teddybear well. He has a habit of stealing them.
    [​IMG]

The dungeons - one of the environments where you'll defend your stash of gold:
    [​IMG]

The EMO's bed - comfy AND stylish:
    [​IMG]

Some of the EMO's available weapons:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. unc0nnected

unc0nnected Active Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Aawww, I love the style you guys are going for here! Are you guys going to be supporting iOS6 and the iPhone5?

3. master lee

master lee Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Greece kos island
    Me to I love the art work and overlord looks great!
    PS: I will like to see a gameplay video soon as possible:D

4. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    The concept sounds way too cool to lose! I can't wait until we get to see, if not an early video, some game screens showing how this whole Dungeon Keeper meets Tetris works!

5. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Most definitely! The game will run on iPhones 4 and up and all iPads.
    Glad to hear you guys like the art style!

6. MobileMaster88

Oct 15, 2012
    Great artwork

I love this art work. Will I be able to play it on my iPhone 5?

:D

7. unc0nnected

Oct 15, 2012
    Did you read their post? Because the last post by LCD before you answered that question.

8. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    #8 LCDDreams, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
    No worries. :) Here's some more art to give you happy evil thoughts ;)

Dining hall in the EMO's castle. Largely unused, as most of the guests he has are the uninvited type (and he'd much rather use their dead bodies for pulp than for dinner).
    [​IMG]

9. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Sure that cobblestone theme looks nice, but how easy is it to hose off once covered in dead adventurer body parts?

10. MobileMaster88

Oct 15, 2012
    What weapons will be available in EMO?

What weapons will be available in EMO?

11. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    #11 LCDDreams, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
    There will be melee, ranged, and magic weapon types, and three levels of each - basic, enhanced, and epic. So all told, there will be 9 different weapons (at first - later we'll update with more). In addition every weapon will have unlockable gem slots - 1 for basic, 2 for enhanced, and 4 for epic.
    Here are the weapons currently in the game:
    Sword and shield
    Bow
    Magic bolt staff
    Dual blades
    Composite bow
    Lightning bauble
    Greatsword
    Ninja stars (shuriken)
    Fire wand

These are not the final names though - as I mentioned, we'll be having a naming contest, so players will get to name some of the weapons and armor soon.

12. MobileMaster88

Oct 15, 2012
    When will be the naming contest?

13. unc0nnected

Oct 15, 2012
    Ah, loving the style more with every picture, brings me back to the days of Dungeon Master and even Dungeon Defenders.. I don't know why were' not seeing more games with this style, too many are all dark and brooding.. Just because I want to be evil and murderous doesn't mean I have to be all dark and serious :) heh.

14. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Most likely some time in the next week.

Here's some more concept art - our mage hero!
    [​IMG]

15. unc0nnected

Oct 15, 2012
    aah, I love him.. I love that the page he is linked to calls him Senile.. I can't wait to see how this guy looks in game. When do we get to see some shots of this in game? The idea of tetris combined with dungeon master is just too much for me to handle, I'm dying to see how you guys realize this in action!

16. florendas

florendas Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    He looks like Mikey in Fantasia

17. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Ha, well if you combined Mickey and the Sorcerer then yeah, you're right! Hadn't even noticed that. The design has actually changed quite a bit over the months, so I think I still see him as he used to be.

18. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Here are some images that give you a peek into how the game will work. These are the wall pieces for the castle levels and the dungeon levels, respectively:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. MobileMaster88

Oct 15, 2012
    The wall pieces look really cool. I wonder if you will be able to interconnect them with one another or if they will be just made so you can stack them. It would also be great if you get extra points for create specific patterns with the various pieces.

20. unc0nnected

Oct 15, 2012
    awesome to see some of these in-game assets.. Some studios find it tough to carry a certain visual style over from the concepts but these are looking great. Hopefully you are able to do this with all of the assets. Can't wait for more images