Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 10-18-2012, 06:37 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Thanks for the nice words everyone ! Square Planet is out worldwide now. If you like it, we'd greatly appreciate a review
Here is the App Store link:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/square-planet/id547939901
Old 10-18-2012, 06:41 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Also, has anyone played it yet? Do you agree with the TouchGen review?
Old 10-18-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasgb View Post
Also, has anyone played it yet? Do you agree with the TouchGen review?
No. There are some control issues (the tilt physics could be better) and there are occasional stutters even on a 4S. But the "using rings to unlock" mechanic is nothing new -- Super Mario Land 3D does the same thing. The difference here is that instead of grinding levels (which is what I did in SML3D) you can spend real money on IAP. For some folks that's an affront to gaming ethics, hence the 1 star.

For me there's plenty to like here, from gorgeous environments to nice music and varied levels that encourage exploration. The platforming is not particularly challenging but it's not boring either. The physics are a bit floaty but not terrible. I would say it's worth a free download at least.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:21 AM

Default Game Impressions

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

About the iAP:

Since you are collecting Gold Coins through the Level you pretty much don`t need those iAP if you really don`t rush through the different Levels and try to collect as many Gold Coins as possible.

It`s also possible to get right from the Start 600 Gold Coins with less then two Minutes of Work so the iAP is really not there to make our Lifes harder.

With this said:

I don`t really understand the TouchGen rant against the iAP in the Game

Watch the HD Gameplay Trailer and you will understand why...

Last edited by Sanuku; 10-19-2012 at 05:03 AM..
Old 10-18-2012, 12:11 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Thanks for the vid Sanuku! Does anyone know if there's another control option other than the damn tilt to move? I can't STAND tilt controls...
Old 10-18-2012, 12:15 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

I love this game! At times it doesn't stop quick enough when I go right and tilt left to stop, but so far the levels haven't gotten that hard for it to be a problem. I'm on level 6/8 on world 1 and I can't see myself needing to buy any IAP. Awesome game.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:17 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

I really have no idea why they gave it 1/5. Graphics are good, level design is brilliant, controls work mostly well, haven't had a big problem with them and the IAPs are unneseecary.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:32 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Giving a free app 1 star coz it has IAP is so stupid. Haha. Especially coming from a "professional" gaming site.

I can understand if there is a ridiculous pay wall that slaps you a few levels in (Blood and Glory 2). But I'm not seeing that in this game (correct me if I'm wrong).

This is a nice, fun polished game. The camera makes me dizzy sometimes on faster levels (tilting the phone and at the same time trying to focus on the character bouncing all over the place doesn't help) but aside from that it's pretty fun!

Games should be judged by different criteria like their technical accomplishments, it's level of fun or whatever.

BNG2 tried to cram IAP up the user's wazoo and it still doesn't warrant a 1 star from me.

Last edited by Eoghann; 10-18-2012 at 12:35 PM..
Old 10-18-2012, 01:07 PM
iPad Air

I dunno what touchgen is on about. I'm having quite fun with this game and I haven't paid a single cent for this, which does makes me feel cheap, but there are options to pay for something via IAP at least if you want to support the dev. This game really looks beautiful too so I gotta ask if you guys are planning any 4" support? I do agree the tilt mechanics needs just some tightening up, other then that awesome job.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:37 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Wow, thanks everyone for the support! We were a bit underwhelmed by the Touchgen review, you guys are making us feel so much better!

Difficulty and prices do get a bit steeper as you progress in the game, but you can always replay former levels (or purchase an IAP ). You can also get free Rings in the store by doing such things as liking our page on facebook, subscribing to our newsletter to be kept informed of updates, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1a View Post
so I gotta ask if you guys are planning any 4" support? I do agree the tilt mechanics needs just some tightening up, other then that awesome job.
Hey Chris, thanks, as a matter of fact we've already implemented 4" support on our end Right now it's just a matter of testing and submiting the update. We need to test carefully as the wider camera may reveal empty sections of levels or out-of-screen glitches. Looks like I just found myself a reason to get an iPhone5