iPhone Social Networks

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Tavoss, Jun 17, 2009.

?

What xbox live-a-like do you want to see become the standard

1. Plus+

57 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Scoreloop

40 vote(s)
    30.1%
  3. OpenFeint

22 vote(s)
    16.5%
  4. Geo

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  5. other...

13 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. Tavoss

Tavoss Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    #1 Tavoss, Jun 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
    What with 3.0 being released with peer to peer and push notifications. I think we're gonna see a huge take off of the game social networks. With Ngmoco starting Plus+ and then theres scoreloop and others.

Which social network would you like to see become the standard that is integrated within most games?

2. astrosaurus

astrosaurus Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Designer/Blogger
    Portland, OR
    I was really, really impressed with Plus Networks guided tour. I vote for that, and since they're a huge company they have the man power/money to make it take off.

3. coolman

coolman Well-Known Member

My vote was for Scoreloop, it works great and has the important features.

Anyway I never would like to see only one platform like in the XBox Live.

Competition between them is good for us (developers) and for end users.

4. Tavoss

Tavoss Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    i disagree, i feel that competition in this area is bad. If all the developers of these networks chip in, then we get the best of all worlds, including that all people are on the same community!!

5. YungAssassin_BHB

YungAssassin_BHB Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    i voted for
    plus+

6. hdgreen

hdgreen Well-Known Member

i voted for openfeint because thats the only one ive used and the new 2.0 version looks really good: www.openfeint.com

7. Tavoss

Tavoss Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    that openfeint does look really cool, I'd love to see the games its supporting right now

8. hdgreen

id love to see it in action because Pocket God wont be upgrading to 2.0 in the next two updates which is a shame :(

9. martinpi

martinpi Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    founder, director & game designer at studio radiol
    we'll support it with the update for radio flare we submitted yesterday.

ps: of course i had to vote for openfeint since we use it in radio flare and are currently building it into our next game, zombies vs. sheep.

10. jasoncitron

jasoncitron Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Founding Craftsman of Hammer & Chisel. Previously
    San Francisco
    #10 jasoncitron, Jun 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
    I'm the co-creator of OpenFeint! Thought I'd jump in and comment.

@Tavoss Thanks for the kind words! OpenFeint is available in over 100 titles right now in the app store such as Pocket God, MyBrute, and Radio Flare. Others have been submitted and are waiting on Apple to launch them (stick wars and knights on rush to name a couple).

@everyone. As to adoption, I'd say that developers have already chosen OpenFeint as the social platform on the iPhone. We have a huge number of players (3 million+) and a large number of registered developers (600+) working with our platform. We offer the same features that Plus+ has and more. And you can use it right now from our website. It's free to use in free games and costs pennies per user for a paid game (flat fee - not recurring). And of course, players pay nothing.

Hope that clarifies things a little bit. Feel free to twitter me @jasoncitron or email me at [email protected] for anything!

11. TouchTouchDev

TouchTouchDev Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Scoreloop Challenges

I voted for Scoreloop because it's free (even w/o ads), and has player challenges. We'll see what plus+ has to offer though.

12. coolman

I know that Scoreloop no.

But which one of the others has adds?

13. MostTornBrain

MostTornBrain New Member

Jun 18, 2009
    I'm leaning towards OpenFeint because the iPhone client-side code is all open source. I think that opens up a lot more potential than just depending on one company's vision of how they want it to work.

Brian

14. Tavoss

Tavoss Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009

Obviously you have the base users already, my question is, how do we access the netwrok, i couldnt find a link on your website, just one for developers and also cant seem to access anything other than the chat client in the games. How do we access the green style thing on your website?

15. coolman

I think this doesn't open nothing, cause server code is out of your control, so you still are tied to the company vision.

16. nikwest

nikwest Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Munich, Germany
  17. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    Are there web sites for the others? OpenFeint does look nice but I've never registered to use it yet.

EDIT: Ok, here is http://www.scoreloop.com/

18. hdgreen

the green style thing depends on which version individual games are using. i dont know of any that are using 2.0 yet but they've said 2.1 version will feature player challenges.

19. Tavoss

Tavoss Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    #19 Tavoss, Jun 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
    Well thats what there games need to implement, and make a seperate app for, i think the first network to release a dedicated app will be leaps and bounds ahead!

i think the reason i want Plus+ so much is because of livefire. I think the game will be insanely populer and with that it will propel plus+ to be the most popular one, i do love the look of openfeint though, but having actually used plus it seems ahead of the others in that i cant find an iteration of them anywhere!!!

20. Jalan

Jalan New Member

Jun 18, 2009
    I like Scoreloop's platform because of the ease and compatibality it has with my games. It has everything important integrated into the platform very well.