★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

App Store: no more "company name" for individual accounts

10-19-2012, 11:09 AM
App Store: no more "company name" for individual accounts

Seems that since few hours Apple is removing any custom "company name" used by "individual" accounts: https://devforums.apple.com/message/743546#743546. Currently the changes seems to happen on a by-App case, when some update is done via iTunes Connect.

A little disaster for small indies having invested in a brand using sole proprietorship businesses & DBA:
  • the brand is removed from the App Store;
  • people looking for a game by X land on a game made by Y, like a scam.

UNAgames - iOS indie developers.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
10-20-2012, 02:46 AM
This may hurt some of us. I'm about to submit an update...

The root cause of this is probably that some individual developers picked company names close to well-known brands, and Apple does not really like if somebody tries to trick the system.

10-20-2012, 06:08 AM
Andreas Illinger must be fuming...

On a serious note, I just searched the AppStore for "Zenout" and this is what happened: "No results found. Did you mean Benoît" Another nail gets thudded in, thanks ptb.

Web: www.zenout.co.uk
Follow: @zenoutJez
Developer: BubbleSand Tetroms (Attic Eyes...Soon!)
AppStore search string: "Jez Hammond"
10-20-2012, 06:13 AM
yep happened to me too, because I set up Forest Moon Games under an individual account (it was a ridiculous pain in the ass to set up a company now, under the new terms) I'm hoping I can get it switched to a company name...
10-20-2012, 07:09 AM
.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenout View Post
Andreas Illinger must be fuming...
<placeholder>
10-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Send a message via MSN to J.O.Y Send a message via Yahoo to J.O.Y Send a message via Skype™ to J.O.Y
In another hand I think it's more fair. I wasn't allowed to change my company name in AppStore from JOY Entertainment, JSC to "JOY" or event "JOY Entertainment" while you could register 1 new account with whatever name you want (artist field). That was what Apple support guy told me.
10-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshCM View Post
yep happened to me too, because I set up Forest Moon Games under an individual account (it was a ridiculous pain in the ass to set up a company now, under the new terms) I'm hoping I can get it switched to a company name...
That sucks. You would would think that Apple would work with the established individuals/companies out there. I remember Retro 64 (I think that was the name) said it was a bitch to switch and he lost some sales during the transitions.
10-22-2012, 09:17 AM
I submitted 2 updates last week and they are still in Waiting for Review. My "company name" has been changed in iTunes Connect today. It would be nice if Apple could create indie section in AppStore. I don't really like this but it would be a logical step.

Last edited by VRPgames; 10-22-2012 at 09:28 AM.
10-22-2012, 03:33 PM
So the "Copyright section" has been removed? I can still see it - maybe just because I haven't submitted an update yet...

Besides, is the "company info" being removed on a per-update basis, or once you update one of your apps, the information gets removed for all other apps?

Last edited by Carlos; 10-22-2012 at 03:36 PM.
10-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Seems the change happens when you submit the new and mandatory "contact information" form in the App's details page of ITC.

From what I read, seems a per-App change.