★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

restoring 3GS from a 3G backup

06-17-2009, 11:04 PM
restoring 3GS from a 3G backup

I getting a new iphone 3GS this coming friday and I was wondering what would happen to all my game saves. I back up my 3G regularly and I was wondering if i can just restore the new 3GS from the 3G backup and keep all my settings and such. Im not sure if this is something people know yet, as obviously the phone isnt out yet, but I figured it doesnt really hurt to ask.

Thanks
06-17-2009, 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhornet9 View Post
I getting a new iphone 3GS this coming friday and I was wondering what would happen to all my game saves. I back up my 3G regularly and I was wondering if i can just restore the new 3GS from the 3G backup and keep all my settings and such. Im not sure if this is something people know yet, as obviously the phone isnt out yet, but I figured it doesnt really hurt to ask.

Thanks
no, saves go bye bye, the game saves will not transfer over since your udid will be different. you will keep your contacts, and it will know what games are installed, however you will no longer have your game saves. and since the 3gs will not be jailbroken for awhile, you can not even ssh the saved games into the new phone. there is no way besides not upgrading to keep your saved games.

Boiler Up!
*Hated By Many, Loved By Few*

Last edited by jchampl; 06-17-2009 at 11:08 PM.

06-17-2009, 11:08 PM
ok...so it wont keep my game saves but it will keep all my other settings such as what apps i have installed and things like that?
06-17-2009, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhornet9 View Post
ok...so it wont keep my game saves but it will keep all my other settings such as what apps i have installed and things like that?
yup it will keep all of that. including text messages and all your email settings etc., you will just not have your saves.

Boiler Up!
06-17-2009, 11:10 PM
thats not too bad...at least that will save me a ton of time in setting it up...thanks for the help!
06-17-2009, 11:13 PM
no problem, if someone else posts this same question you save me the trouble and tell them alright

Boiler Up!
06-18-2009, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchampl View Post
no, saves go bye bye, the game saves will not transfer over since your udid will be different. you will keep your contacts, and it will know what games are installed, however you will no longer have your game saves.
I've successfully had my saved games restored from a backup to a new device when I got my 3G replaced at an Apple Store recently. After I restored the new 3G, all my game saves where there.

Now the question is can you restore a 3G to a 3Gs in order to have those game saves on the new 3Gs. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.
06-18-2009, 10:36 AM
I don't see why not. Just make sure you have 3.0 on your 3G. I've successfully restored everything when going from a 1G Touch to a 1G Touch and from a 1G Touch to a 2G Touch. I've heard of others who have switched from a 1G Touch to a iPhone 3G. Just backup your 3G then when you setup up your 3GS for the first time, selected restore from a backup. It should work fine, unless there is something special about the 3GS.
06-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by florbastang View Post
I don't see why not. Just make sure you have 3.0 on your 3G. I've successfully restored everything when going from a 1G Touch to a 1G Touch and from a 1G Touch to a 2G Touch. I've heard of others who have switched from a 1G Touch to a iPhone 3G. Just backup your 3G then when you setup up your 3GS for the first time, selected restore from a backup. It should work fine, unless there is something special about the 3GS.
I backed up my 3G and then did a restore on my 3GS. Worked except I didn't get any apps or app saves (or ringtones or music). The 3G backup must not have backed up my apps/ringtones/music. Any idea why?
06-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Hey guys, unfortunately I have learned how this works by losing months of play in several MMO's. If the game or APP is contained locally on the iphone -or- if you connect to a game server by logging in, then yes. Your saves will be restored when you restore.

However, if your character or account never required a login, its likely the whole process was handled by registering your UDID or IMEI. This is a unique value to your phone and some games (all the Playmesh titles) handle account simply by this value. Unfortunately, if you upgrade your phone or get a new one in a warranty exchange because it dies, your account is located in limbo.

I can't imagine playmesh being so busy counting money that they don't have some vehicle for allowing customers to provide old/new values and letting them transfer accounts to new phones, but I have not heard back from the emails I have sent them when I lost my games after saturday's upgrade.

The last bit of advice I would give is to remember to transfer purchases from your phone to your PC's itunes account. I buy most of my apps over the air and didn't know to include this step, so when I backedup, I never had my app included in this.