★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Aerofly FS, Aerofly 5 - Flight Sim Goodness

10-20-2012, 08:17 PM
Send a message via AIM to blakespot
Aerofly FS, Aerofly 5 - Flight Sim Goodness

Hey guys,

Ever since 1984 with Sublogic's Flight Simulator II for the Apple II I've been a huge flight sim fan. Have run sims on every systems I've owned over the years. I love them.

I wanted to point out that there is an awesome sim in the Mac App Store that is a must-have for flight sim fans. You can grab a proper flight stick for under $30 at Best Buy and go from there. I've had huge fun with this one.

Youtube link | Pop Up

There are several aircraft to choose from and the controls and flight dynamics are superb. Have a look and if you are a flight sim fan, give it some real thought.

The game is $45 https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aerofly-fs/id496301719?mt=12

...and is well worth it.

Honestly, it's great, but the remote control (R/C) flight sim Aerofly 5 is far more enjoyable to me, thought it's rather more expensive. I paid $300 for it with the USB R/C controller, which it requires (that or a standard R/C remote used with a USB interface they can provide as a sales alternative). Expensive, but I play it 4-5x per day, every day, and have for nearly a year. It is a true escape. It is not in the Mac App Store but is available for Mac, and can be had here: http://www.aerofly.com

I have deep hopes that one day the IPACS / IKARUS will see fit to bring either title to iOS.

For a look at Aerofly 5, see:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Great stuff. This sim appears to be advanced such that airframes are entered into the system and actual flight dynamics are calculated real time. It's interesting to note the representation of aircraft characteristic effects, like the AWACS model that is prone to roll left or right at low speed (due to the dish above). It feels not like a game but very much like a true digital wind-tunnel. It's an exceptional flight experience, truly.

bp

:: Blake Patterson :: Touch Arcade administrator
:: [twitter] [me] [flickr]

Last edited by arn; 10-22-2012 at 02:19 PM.
10-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Send a message via AIM to blakespot
I far prefer this to X-Plane, by the way. To speak to the competiton.

bp

:: Blake Patterson :: Touch Arcade administrator
:: [twitter] [me] [flickr]