★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Aevum Obscurum - Medieval Strategy Game

06-18-2009, 05:20 AM
Aevum Obscurum - Medieval Strategy Game

I just released Aevum Obscurum!!!

Please comment! Thanks.

Quote:
Aevum Obscurum a risk-like turn-based strategy game where you take the reigns of a budding empire and struggle for domination of the old continent. The iPhone version of the game offers single player game-play on a map featuring Europe. Six scenarios are available ranging from ancient to medieval Europe. The scenarios contain a total of over fifty empires to choose from including the Kingdom of England, Kingdom of France, Byzantine Empire, Sultanate of Egypt, Kingdom of Jerusalem, Celtic Tribes and Ancient Macedonia.
Lite Version: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=318283631&mt=8
Full Version: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=318280645&mt=8 ($4.99)

Please email me if you would like to review the full version of the game on your blog/news site and I'll send you a promo code.

Screenshots:

06-18-2009, 05:59 AM
I tried the lite version and got wiped in about 4 turns lol. This is serious business and real strategy. so far I like it and i think it's the kind of game you get easily addicted to if you're into that genre.

It's not shiny/flashy/3d but there's a real game here.

06-18-2009, 06:03 AM
this looks like the bigger stage of total war games. Is it like them or more like risk??

LiamWUL Games Development
Gamecenter: walsh06
06-18-2009, 08:13 AM
@Noblemaster; love your game - it's an excellent and a well produced product! Loved it so much that I also downloaded the PC version for the multiplay. Hope your game does well on the iPhone platform becuase I can't wait for the multiplayer addon.

Also noticed the Aveum website has a forum for suggestions; any chance of incorporating a campaign mod that allows for a 'regional resource allocation' number on each tile which restricts the number of units that can be placed? Perhaps the same 'regional resource allocation' number could also refect the amount of income earned per tile? I know this sounds abit like 'Defender of the Crown', but it would change the dynamics of the campaign path.

Anyway congrats on an excellent strategy game.

Last edited by Sidon; 06-18-2009 at 08:21 AM.
06-18-2009, 08:14 AM
Here is a review of the PC/Mac version of this game:

http://jaguarusf.blogspot.com/2007/0...rgenspiel.html

This looks a little bit deeper than Risk (or Lux on the iPhone) with a strong online component. Games can take rather long (so it's the direct opposite to Dicewars which was a simplification of Risk with very short and quick games).

Is it true that the iPhone version includes the single player campaigns?
Edit: Oups, never mind. It's in the description of the app. It ONLY contains single-player so far.

Last edited by Beezle; 06-18-2009 at 08:17 AM.
06-18-2009, 09:28 AM
Looks pretty cool, noblemaster. I just sent you an email.

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre
06-18-2009, 04:30 PM
i really like the lite. When it says scenarios do you play as different factions or what?? it would be cool if you could be all the factions.

06-19-2009, 12:07 AM
Thanks for all the comments/support so far.

Quote:
this looks like the bigger stage of total war games. Is it like them or more like risk??
I would say it's in between. However, I am planning to add private messaging as well as diplomacy for the multiplayer version if it is going to happen!

Quote:
How can I get back to the main menu when in a game without exiting the app?
Not at the moment. However, I am planning to add another button in a future version of the game, so you can exit to the main menu.

Quote:
I notice the 'updating game' takes quite some time. Is there a chance you can reduce that
I tried to speed it up. I perform a lot of memory allocations/deallocations which makes it slow. Each AI player gets it's own copy of the game. The actual AI code runs pretty fast. It won't be a problem for multiplayer (future)...

Quote:
Also noticed the Aveum website has a forum for suggestions; any chance of incorporating a campaign mod that allows for a 'regional resource allocation' number on each tile which restricts the number of units that can be placed?
Yes, that's possible. Not sure if it will happen though? It depends on what other people think and what makes the most sense. I am still debating what is the best solution...

Quote:
Hope your game does well on the iPhone platform becuase I can't wait for the multiplayer addon.
I hope so too

Quote:
i really like the lite. When it says scenarios do you play as different factions or what?? it would be cool if you could be all the factions.
Yes, you can play all the factions. Also, there is more than one scenario for the full version.

Can I ask some questions too:
1. What's the most interesting aspect of the game, game-play wise?
2. What's the most annoying/boring aspect of the game, game-play wise?
06-19-2009, 04:07 AM
One of the things I found interesting in the lite was the scam. While I waged war against Austria there were fights going on the other side of the mapat the same time. I think that's cool.

06-19-2009, 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblemaster View Post
Can I ask some questions too:
1. What's the most interesting aspect of the game, game-play wise?
2. What's the most annoying/boring aspect of the game, game-play wise?
@Noblemaster the most interesting aspect of the game is the sheer number of AI players. As Walsh06 said, the fact the world evolves around from regional conflicts is awesome - constantly needing to adjust your strategy to stay afloat.

The most annoying aspect is the lack of a 'menu' option to abandon a game. Currently the only way back is to drop out of the game and restart the application. In terms of gameplay-wise, its annoying that you can't secure the seas around territories. It would be good if the seas around regional tiles were themselves tiled with the ability to create ocean units (Perhaps the cost of ocean units should be higher i.e. Roman, Greek, Phoenician ocean fleets). This would prevent random across ocean attacks by restricting unit flow (other than just the budget) and allow island nations the ability to dominate the Med, North Sea and the Baltic. The other annoying aspect is the ability to instantly drop 50K units on a particular tile without logically creating a supporting supply chain. Its an easy way to finish a game quickly, but would be more logical if recently captured territory had some local resistance restricting the ability to instantly create big armies .

Another suggestion would be to allow newly capture territory to revolt against occupation by forcing the occupier to permanently base troops in new captured territory. Perhaps increase the percentage of partisan revolt by the distance captured territories are from the players capital, forcing the invading army to leave behind troops or reinforce their territories.

Last edited by Sidon; 06-19-2009 at 05:07 AM.