Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 10-21-2012, 11:15 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Default Games like Redshift's "The Quest?"

Lately I've fallen in love with "The Quest" which is an old-school style first-person dungeon crawler RPG. I loved the turn-based mechanics and the retro art feel, and I'm looking for any iOS games similar to it. I've tried a few but nothing really sticks out to me as being very good or replayable, especially after playing something as amazing as The Quest. Does anyone know of other games similar to this? I'm trying Undercroft but I really don't like the choppy movement. Call me picky, but I like how you can see the movement take place in The Quest, as opposed to Undercroft's "jumping" from one space to another. It just makes it feel a little better as far as gameplay mechanics go. I'm willing to try anything, though. I found an earlier thread about this that referenced DragonBane II but that isn't available on the app store. Suggestions?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:31 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Other than Undercroft I don't have any specific game recommendations, but this list might be helpful - http://iosrpg.com/?pricelist=1&sort=...e=First-Person
Old 10-22-2012, 10:07 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

Alternate Reality: The City
Alternate Reality: The Dungeon

In the World of Retro Games app

These are the C64 versions, you might prefer the Spectrum ZX versions, City & Dungeon, but they're a buck apiece.

Sad to hear that DragonBane II is gone from the app store, it's dated, but a real classic, and a real contender to The Bard's Tale II. (Though it did not scroll smoothly like The Quest.)
Old 10-22-2012, 10:30 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I've played both Undercroft and the Quest.
IMO both games have great stuff and drawbacks.
I would say, stick through a couple of hours of Undercroft, and it'll grow on you. You'll get used to the movement and I believe the game is worth it.

Also, there's loads of expansion packs to the Quest, enough to last for months, so if you haven't tried those, then what are you waiting for?

I particularly liked Undercroft because of the party system which The Quest lacked, but each to his own..
Old 10-22-2012, 07:28 PM

Doom 2 RPG!
https://itunes.apple.com/app/doom-ii-rpg/id354051766?mt=8

Plays similiar to The Quest, but in Doom universe. Tons of dungeon crawling, lots of weapons with diferent properties, a bunch of enemies and some humorous dialogues. I liked it.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:49 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

And Wolfenstein RPG. They're both pretty short and slightly RPG-lite tbh, but really innovative and worth your time if you've never seen them before.

There's also some modern Wizardry games if you don't mind anime graphics and a 6-man party. If you want unofficial 'remakes' of the original ones with slightly different maps, there's a series of free games entitled Sorcerer.

The Bard's Tale (which is a port of the PS2 remake) contains all 3 of the original DOS games. Not a one-man party game, again, but it's close.

Last edited by spacecowgoesmoo; 10-22-2012 at 07:54 PM..
Old 10-22-2012, 09:35 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Silversword anyone? I haven't seen it mentioned and I think it fits greatly with the style of game as The Quest series of games (and there are a few of them). Mission Europa and Eternal Throne are two more that come to mind!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:38 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecowgoesmoo View Post
And Wolfenstein RPG. They're both pretty short and slightly RPG-lite tbh, but really innovative and worth your time if you've never seen them before.

There's also some modern Wizardry games if you don't mind anime graphics and a 6-man party. If you want unofficial 'remakes' of the original ones with slightly different maps, there's a series of free games entitled Sorcerer.

The Bard's Tale (which is a port of the PS2 remake) contains all 3 of the original DOS games. Not a one-man party game, again, but it's close.
It kills me that the Wizardry license is split between regions, as I personally don't care for the Japanese developed entries in the series, and the euro and western developed entries have been drew and too far between in my opinion. Bards Tale is a worthy mention though, having the original three games included is a nice throwback down memory lane!
Old 10-23-2012, 11:40 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

There is...

Alternative Reality The Dungeon &
Alternate Reality The Dungeon
Alternate Reality The City
Akalabeth - World of Doom!
Crawler ?
Descend RPG
Doom II RPG
Dragon Bane II
Dungeon of the Damned
Eternal Throne
The Labyrinth Phase 1
Malum Umbra
Princess Demelza
The Quest
The Quest Gold
The Quest: Celtic Rift
The Quest: Cursed Chess Set
The Quest: Islands of Fire and Ice
The Quest: Hero of Lukomorye I
The Quest: Hero of Lukomorye II
The Quest: Hero of Lukomorye III
The Quest: Hero of Lukomorye IV
The Quest: Hero of Lukomorye V
The Quest: Mithril Horde
The Quest: Mithril Horde II
The Quest: Escape from Asteroids
The Quest: Lost Archipelagos
The Quest: Attack from Asteroids
Silversword
Sorcerer 1 [Free]
Sorcerer 2 [Free]
Sorcerer 4 [Free]
Temple of Arkdoom
Undercroft [Free]
Wizardry Labryrinth of Lost Souls
Wolfenstein RPG
Old 10-24-2012, 10:08 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

Great list, Undeadcow - unfortunately DragonBaneII and Princess Demelza are both gone from the AppStore.

And you forgot Tumulus of Fen.

Also, the OP asked for games that scroll smoothly like The Quest.

Best alternatives on iOS are probably Wolf 3D RPG and Doom II RPG as they have 3D engines. (Too bad iD didn't port Orcs & Elves, that was a great game on the DS using the same engine.)