Support our Sponsors:

Old 02-27-2011, 07:41 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Default Story driven iOS games?

I am a big fan of games with immersive stories. You know, all the bioware and bethesda rpgs, the old ultima games, all that goodness.

I've been pretty disappointed with the iOS games from a story standpoint. Is there anything out there with a compelling story anyone could recommend? Price isn't really an issue, in fact, I'm willing to pay more for a game with a good story.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:49 PM
im in ur base killin ur d00dz
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Phoenix Wright
Old 02-27-2011, 07:49 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by wossname View Post
I am a big fan of games with immersive stories. You know, all the bioware and bethesda rpgs, the old ultima games, all that goodness.

I've been pretty disappointed with the iOS games from a story standpoint. Is there anything out there with a compelling story anyone could recommend? Price isn't really an issue, in fact, I'm willing to pay more for a game with a good story.
A good start would be:
- Inotia 3.
- Chaos Rings.

Both offer pretty solid and engaging stories as you progress.

Queens Crown is also a game with a good story imo.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:50 PM

Man, get Spider The Secret of Bryce Manor. I believe it has some of the best storytelling in any videogame. So simple, yet deep.

There's also a couple point and click adventure games with really fun, compelling stories like Monkey Island, Beneath A Steel Sky, Broken Sword.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:02 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Woohoo! Thanks for the replies, I have a few new games to play through now

I grew up with the monkey island games so that one doesn't need to be downloaded again, but all the rest I haven't yet tried.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:19 PM

There are story-driven games and there are good story-driven games. Phoenix Wright, for instance, is very story-driven, but the story it tells is juvenile, facile, and suffers from a culture gap.

Games like Star Breed, Alchemy Reactions, Ash, maybe Rimelands, Beneath a Steel Sky, the Monkey Island series, Aralon, and Chaos Rings, are story-driven but also deliver good narratives, with excellent characters and writing.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:23 PM
im in ur base killin ur d00dz
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Good the thing the OP is American then. That really makes me laugh...Rimelands and Aralon are two of my favorite RPGs, but saying that their stories are good is honestly an insult to games that are entirely based on storytelling. I don't know how old you would have to be to consider the stories presented in Phoenix Wright to be juvenile.

Last edited by backtothis; 02-27-2011 at 11:04 PM..
Old 02-27-2011, 08:35 PM

Phoenix Wright - It's a lighthearted story, but it's entertaining.
Chaos Rings - It's got some of the better characters in an iOS game, and it's an awesome game to boot.
Monkey Island 1 and 2 - Really funny and really charming.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtothis View Post
Good the thing the OP is American then. That really makes me laugh...Ash and Rimelands and Aralon are two of my favorite RPGs, but saying that their stories are good is honestly an insult to games that are entirely based on storytelling. I don't know how old you would have to be to consider the stories presented in Phoenix Wright to be juvenile.
Firstly, I said "maybe Rimelands," as I have only played it briefly, but from what I saw the plot, world, and characters seemed interesting, though the dialogue wasn't the best. Ash has excellent, clever writing, interesting characters, and an intriguing plot. Aralon is arguably the weaker choice, but honestly, it still holds up better than most of the other "story-driven" games on the market.

I am in no way trying to start an argument, or be a jerk, but I am honestly baffled you think the stories of Aralon and Rimelands are terrible, and then go on to defend the story of Phoenix Wright.

Seriously. There is no clever writing, there is no interesting characters (aside from fashion choices), and most importantly in my opinion, there is no real emotion at all. Even when people are murdered, it's treated in a goofy, comical fashion.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:38 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Not many iOS games tell immersive stories. They may be okay at storytelling, but nothing spectacular. You certainly wouldn't play them solely for their story. Most iOS RPGs have just decent stories.

Phoenix Wright, however, is a game that I can recommend for it's story alone. It may be silly at times, but it really keeps you interested the whole way through.