★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

"Your comment is awaiting moderation"

06-18-2009, 12:51 PM
"Your comment is awaiting moderation"

I've been curious: does anyone know what triggers that "Your comment is awaiting moderation" message in article comments? Certain words? Random spot-checks? Obscure anti-spam algorithms that must remain secret for our own good? It's not the link on the poster's name... because I never use a link.

I've seen that sometimes on my posts, and then I check back in a bit and posts under me have been posted, while mine still awaits moderation.

Which is not a problem, I'm just curious. My posts do always appear eventually. (And they almost never mention shady .ru sites where you can have your man-portions augmented.)

Morgan Adams (GameCenter: “Adams Immersive”)
My upcoming first game: Scree (Forum thread)
My upcoming VR horror experience: This is Not the Church of the Worm (Forum thread)
Stop making lists. Organize with shapes and colors instead: DotSpace (Forum thread)
06-18-2009, 01:37 PM
there are various things that might trigger it, including some words and having multiple links.

arn

06-18-2009, 01:44 PM
Cool--I figured it's some automatic thing. Just wondering (I never post links). I can see how revealing details of how to avoid it would be a BAD idea

My upcoming VR horror experience: This is Not the Church of the Worm (Forum thread)
Stop making lists. Organize with shapes and colors instead: DotSpace (Forum thread)
06-18-2009, 07:48 PM
Sounds like like how terrorists are caught while doing a weapon deal on a cell phone. That's pretty sweet. I've always wondered what would happen if I started screaming out the names of various bombs over the phone. "Your call is awaiting moderation. Please hold." "Ahh crap we gotta run again!"
06-23-2009, 10:03 AM
Here's what I posted about the Mass Effect article, and my comment now required moderation:

Quote:
I saw this game demo'd at EA, and I wasn't impressed.

And the fact that the conversation choices don't do ANYTHING different in the beginning of the game is very weak. Why not just press random buttons. Not like it matters.

I won't be buying this game, sorry.
What "word combinations" caused it to go into the moderation queue?

HTML Code:
<name> Noah <!-- hello.wordpress.com -->
<member since> Sept. 2008 <!-- that's 8+ years -->
<title> Senior Applications Developer <!-- CricketWireless.com -->
06-23-2009, 10:52 AM
I haven't seen anything suspicious in my own posts, either, but I don't think we can know the algorithm. If we knew, the spammers would too

One guess I had was having a word in all-caps. But I saw comments below mine, which were not awaiting moderation, that also had that.

(Maybe the word "buy" in your post? But in discussion of the App Store, I would think words like "buy," "store," "sale," "price," etc. would be commonplace and not filtered. I feel sure I've used them without triggering any moderation.)

11-09-2009, 11:26 PM
I think I’ve reached the point where the majority of my comments are flagged for moderation

I don’t mind much—they get approved in the end—but I fear I’m making all kinds of work for moderators! And I can’t think of anything I’m habitually doing… my posts are fairly varied, and I never post links.

Oh, well… if there’s something I can change in my behavior to save moderators time, I’m happy to do it

11-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Maybe it's your sig? The charchter in between "m" and "R" maybe?
11-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Actually my forum posts work fine—it’s my article comments that tend to raise flags.

11-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbfan1192 View Post
Sounds like like how terrorists are caught while doing a weapon deal on a cell phone. That's pretty sweet. I've always wondered what would happen if I started screaming out the names of various bombs over the phone. "Your call is awaiting moderation. Please hold." "Ahh crap we gotta run again!"
This is very funny! That should be used in some stand up monologue!

Dylan1696 ]
Playing: ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿╤──'─, Discworld, Broken Sword, Flight of the Amazon Queen The Secret of Monkey Island: SE, Jim & Frank BRM, Highborn