iPad 4th generation discussion thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Infernado, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Infernado

Infernado Active Member

Sep 23, 2012
    #1 Infernado, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
    Rules:

Talk about:
    Ipad 4
    iPad 4 games and apps
    iPad 4 new processor
    Getting an ipad 4

Do not cuss or argue
    Do not talk about the ipad mini (unless comparing models)
    Try and stay on topic

I like the new A6x processor, it will be able to have full retina AND full framerate.

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    *want*

That is all. I'm hoping that the specs will put an end to the upscaling that the iPad 3rd gen has to do and will work better and faster. Looks like this might be my first iPad.

3. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    It's what the 3rd generation iPad should have been.

4. SlightReturn

SlightReturn Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    I'm getting one for sure. Will be pre-ordering in about 37 hours. As I said in the mini thread, I'm still rocking a 1st gen iPad, and had planned to get the 4th gen since the 3rd gen was released. All this does is allow me to get it now rather than next spring.

Moving from a 1st gen to the 4th gen will be a huge bump, I'm sure. I've played around with my gf's iPhone5, and I know how screaming fast that thing is with the A6, compared to even my 4s. Can't wait to have a 10" retina screen also. I'm sure it's going to be an incredible upgrade over my 1st gen, which is getting to the point where it's hit or miss with whether an app will run on it at all, let alone smoothly.

5. SlightReturn

May 15, 2012
    Yeah, it really is. Seems like they pushed the 3rd gen out with limited new features, knowing that they'd need to hold some back if they were to make their release restructuring work.

It will be interesting to see what they do going forwards, whether they go to a 6 month release period and do two updates a year, or if they just move the iPad's release date back to fall from here on.

6. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    I don't like the new iPad at all. It's very un-apple like. It's gotten thicker and heavier over the last 2 generations. Feel like a complete redesign is coming, something that's going to be constructed very similarly like the new iPad mini and iPhone 5.

7. SlightReturn

May 15, 2012
    The 4th gen iPad is only thicker than the iPad2 by 0.6mm, that's not very much. While it has gotten a bit heavier than iPad2 (by 0.11lbs/51 grams), it's still pretty negligible considering how much weight the retina screen and larger battery add. I don't know about you, but to me those improvements are well worth the cost of a minimal amount of extra weight and virtually unnoticeable amount of extra thickness. Also, the 4th gen is still 2mm thinner and either 28g or 68 grams (depending on wi-fi or cellular) than the original iPad.

That said, you might be right about an overhaul, we'll just have to wait and see.

8. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    A significantly lighter full size iPad would be awesome, at least as long as it retains the build-quality/strength. Maybe a tall order, but I'm sure they'll knock some weight off of it with each full redesign.

The much lighter weight of the iPad mini is appealing. I would like to try it out at the Apple store. I wouldn't want my board games and such to appear too small. I mean there are games I really can't play on my iPhone because they are too small on there. Some games even feel cramped on a full size iPad. Hopefully the 7.9" screen manages to still be usable for them.

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

The difference in weight and size between the iPad 2 and 3 is seriously negligible and only noticeable the first time you pick up the device. It's worth it though, as the Retina Display makes the iPad 2 look like a complete piece of shit comparatively.

I'm pretty excited for the iPad mini though, mostly because I want to see what the smaller-sized but lower-resolution screen is going to look like.

10. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Any news on the RAM in this thing? I really hate that Apple for some weird reason never discloses how much ram their products got.

11. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Gotta wait for the teardown. I can probably make a bet on 1GB though. It would surprise me if they do 1.5g or 2g.

12. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    Congratulations! You get the 'most exaggerated comment of the day' award. Retina is an improvement, yes, but i was underwhelmed overall with the ipad3. My 2 still looks great... The screen is bright, i'm really not obsessed with resolution, it does what i need it to.

13. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Totally disagree. iPad 2 looks like a fizzy piece of crap, it's true. Retina vs non retina especially on an iPad is night and day.

14. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #14 JBRUU, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
    Here's my biggest concern, and one reason why I'm hesitant to preorder:

How did apple solve the heat issue? The iPad 3 is already a hot device (literally) but double the GPU and CPU means more heat. The iPad 4 might have legitimate cooling issues, that's what really has me worried.

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

If you spend any amount of time looking at text on the iPad 3 vs the iPad 2 and you can't tell the incredible difference you seriously need an eye exam.

16. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I'll probably end up upgrading to one of these eventually. Can anyone speak on the number of apps being updated to support retina? I walked into an AT&T store a few weeks back and tried out the 3rd generation iPad and most of the apps on the model device were still in iPad 2 resolution...

17. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Anyone think this thing will catch up fully with current gen consoles in terms of hardware?

18. I have a question concerning apple care plus, usually if your ipad breaks, they give you a refurbed one. If six months down the line, your new ipad breaks, will they give you an equivalent ipad 4? Cause I really doubt they will make any more new ipads, so I would figure they would have to give you an ipad 4 right, cause they would run out of refurbed ipad 3's very fast. Right? Anyone got a newer version of ipad or iphone like this?

19. What is the weight and thickness difference in the ipad 4 and new ipad?

20. I kind of disagree about the weight between an ipad 2 and the new ipad. I find the new ipad kind of heavy. When I play with the ipad
    2, it seems quite light. I know they made the new ipad heavier because of the two light bars. I guess ipad 4 will have one lightbar right? So it will need less of a battery. Also, I wonder if because of this the new ipad, will it be brighter than the ipad 4?