★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad 4th generation discussion thread

10-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1a View Post
Any news on the RAM in this thing? I really hate that Apple for some weird reason never discloses how much ram their products got.
Gotta wait for the teardown. I can probably make a bet on 1GB though. It would surprise me if they do 1.5g or 2g.

Add Me on Gamecenter/Steam: Fireball926
10-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
It's worth it though, as the Retina Display makes the iPad 2 look like a complete piece of shit comparatively.
Congratulations! You get the 'most exaggerated comment of the day' award. Retina is an improvement, yes, but i was underwhelmed overall with the ipad3. My 2 still looks great... The screen is bright, i'm really not obsessed with resolution, it does what i need it to.

Game Center - I BrEaKBEaT I

10-24-2012, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrEaKBEaT View Post
Congratulations! You get the 'most exaggerated comment of the day' award. Retina is an improvement, yes, but i was underwhelmed overall with the ipad3. My 2 still looks great... The screen is bright, i'm really not obsessed with resolution, it does what i need it to.
Totally disagree. iPad 2 looks like a fizzy piece of crap, it's true. Retina vs non retina especially on an iPad is night and day.
10-24-2012, 05:41 PM
Here's my biggest concern, and one reason why I'm hesitant to preorder:

How did apple solve the heat issue? The iPad 3 is already a hot device (literally) but double the GPU and CPU means more heat. The iPad 4 might have legitimate cooling issues, that's what really has me worried.

Last edited by JBRUU; 10-24-2012 at 06:17 PM.
10-24-2012, 05:45 PM
If you spend any amount of time looking at text on the iPad 3 vs the iPad 2 and you can't tell the incredible difference you seriously need an eye exam.
10-24-2012, 08:56 PM
I'll probably end up upgrading to one of these eventually. Can anyone speak on the number of apps being updated to support retina? I walked into an AT&T store a few weeks back and tried out the 3rd generation iPad and most of the apps on the model device were still in iPad 2 resolution...

My band just released an album! iTunes / Facebook
10-24-2012, 09:54 PM
Anyone think this thing will catch up fully with current gen consoles in terms of hardware?
10-24-2012, 11:19 PM
I have a question concerning apple care plus, usually if your ipad breaks, they give you a refurbed one. If six months down the line, your new ipad breaks, will they give you an equivalent ipad 4? Cause I really doubt they will make any more new ipads, so I would figure they would have to give you an ipad 4 right, cause they would run out of refurbed ipad 3's very fast. Right? Anyone got a newer version of ipad or iphone like this?
10-24-2012, 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightReturn View Post
The 4th gen iPad is only thicker than the iPad2 by 0.6mm, that's not very much. While it has gotten a bit heavier than iPad2 (by 0.11lbs/51 grams), it's still pretty negligible considering how much weight the retina screen and larger battery add. I don't know about you, but to me those improvements are well worth the cost of a minimal amount of extra weight and virtually unnoticeable amount of extra thickness. Also, the 4th gen is still 2mm thinner and either 28g or 68 grams (depending on wi-fi or cellular) than the original iPad.

That said, you might be right about an overhaul, we'll just have to wait and see.
What is the weight and thickness difference in the ipad 4 and new ipad?
10-24-2012, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
The difference in weight and size between the iPad 2 and 3 is seriously negligible and only noticeable the first time you pick up the device. It's worth it though, as the Retina Display makes the iPad 2 look like a complete piece of shit comparatively.

I'm pretty excited for the iPad mini though, mostly because I want to see what the smaller-sized but lower-resolution screen is going to look like.
I kind of disagree about the weight between an ipad 2 and the new ipad. I find the new ipad kind of heavy. When I play with the ipad
2, it seems quite light. I know they made the new ipad heavier because of the two light bars. I guess ipad 4 will have one lightbar right? So it will need less of a battery. Also, I wonder if because of this the new ipad, will it be brighter than the ipad 4?