Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 10-25-2012, 12:01 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

I'm in the market for an iPad but am on a student budget. I currently game on my 4S only but am looking at getting an iPad around xmas time. Do I just get the iPad 4 and go big or get the iPad 3 at a discounted price and wait until the redesign in 8-12 months? Or the iPad mini with that same wait until the redesign? I'm a fiend for resolution and power but on a budget is it worth it for me now? I'd LOVE an iPad mini with 1600p + ughhh...

I mean I could get the 32gb mini for $429 which is a good price I think, but my dream is a 32-64gb iPad 4 with cellular
Old 10-25-2012, 01:34 AM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanon View Post
I'm in the market for an iPad but am on a student budget. I currently game on my 4S only but am looking at getting an iPad around xmas time. Do I just get the iPad 4 and go big or get the iPad 3 at a discounted price and wait until the redesign in 8-12 months? Or the iPad mini with that same wait until the redesign? I'm a fiend for resolution and power but on a budget is it worth it for me now? I'd LOVE an iPad mini with 1600p + ughhh...

I mean I could get the 32gb mini for $429 which is a good price I think, but my dream is a 32-64gb iPad 4 with cellular
If you can wait, I would wait for the ipad 5, the ipad 4 is only a very small incremental change, like an 's' version of the new ipad. Other than cpu, there isn't really that much of substance.

I think the ipad 5 will learn from the Microsoft surface wars and will be dramatically different than the ipad. I think at some point apple may have to consider a sd card slot, and it will come in an 128 gb format which will be nice.

I really think the ipad 5 will be a gamers dream. The ipad will fix some framerate issues of the new ipad, but I really don't think it will be a night and day difference like the ipad 5 will be.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:42 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

I'm not sure what the problem is about the iPads getting heavier, thicker. It's mainly used around the home, or in the office, so usually rests on your lap, table or desk. If you had to carry it in your pocket, sure it'd be a problem. But for its purpose it is fine.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:56 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Totally disagree. iPad 2 looks like a fizzy piece of crap, it's true. Retina vs non retina especially on an iPad is night and day.
It's funny what a short memory people have. I bet you weren't saying that upon release of the iPad 2. We already had retina in the iPhone 4 but that didn't stop millions from buying the 'fizzy piece of crap' iPad 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
If you spend any amount of time looking at text on the iPad 3 vs the iPad 2 and you can't tell the incredible difference you seriously need an eye exam.
Oh I have, and obviously the iPad 3 display looks better, especially when looking at pictures. My point was that it's a ridiculous exaggeration to say "as the retina display makes the ipad 2 look like a complete piece of shit comparitively". I'll forgo the eye exam, thanks.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:16 AM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrEaKBEaT View Post
It's funny what a short memory people have. I bet you weren't saying that upon release of the iPad 2. We already had retina in the iPhone 4 but that didn't stop millions from buying the 'fizzy piece of crap' iPad 2.

Oh I have, and obviously the iPad 3 display looks better, especially when looking at pictures. My point was that it's a ridiculous exaggeration to say "as the retina display makes the ipad 2 look like a complete piece of shit comparitively". I'll forgo the eye exam, thanks.
The ipad 2 is just fine. Basically, the ipad mini is a shrunken ipad 2, and it will sell millions. This smaller size will allow it to fit into women's purses so It will sell well.

The new ipad had a nice retina screen but was flawed in heat, cpu gpu, and weight. The ipad should fix these issues, so that is cool. The really serious changes will come next year with the ipad 5. I really think
the ipad was forced to come out now due in large part to the microsoft surface and future samsung tablets.

Having a slightly flawed new ipad would not be good to compete and with the need to add a lightning connector, they had to upgrade now.

But just you wait, there will be some radical changes to the ipad 5, as far as I am concerned the ipad is just an 's' version of the new ipad. They just should have named it the new ipad s version, so the naming wouldn't be such a headache!

I really think the ipad 5 will be much closer to being closer to console quality than the ipad. The new ipad kind of clunks along in framerate for labor intensive games. The ipad will be decent. But I really think that is where the ipad 5 will shine, in 3d games.

But the ipad will be what the new ipad should have been. I just wonder which screen will look better, the ipad or new ipad. The new ipad has 2 lightbars but the ipad will have that new screen with one light bar I think. The new ipads screen is made by samsung, the ipads is from multiple vendors. Gonna be interesting which has a better screen.

Last edited by Connector; 10-25-2012 at 03:25 AM..
Old 10-25-2012, 03:20 AM

Quote:

For gaming purposes i would avoid the ipad3 like the plague. Get the ipad4 or stick to 4S (it's perfectly good for games anyway) and wait for ipad5 .
Old 10-25-2012, 10:35 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

So I shouldn't get the iPad mini even though it has better resolution than my 4S?

At $429 for 32gb it's not that expensive compared to what I'd dish out for the iPad 4 with cellular.

Also I notice people saying wait for the iPad 5... The iPad mini is the 5 guys... The next iPad will be the 6 and I think they added the 4 intentionally to make the mini the 5 and speed up the iPads to where the iPhones are. Next year iPad 6 and iPhone 6.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:52 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
So I shouldn't get the iPad mini even though it has better resolution than my 4S?

At $429 for 32gb it's not that expensive compared to what I'd dish out for the iPad 4 with cellular.

Also I notice people saying wait for the iPad 5... The iPad mini is the 5 guys... The next iPad will be the 6 and I think they added the 4 intentionally to make the mini the 5 and speed up the iPads to where the iPhones are. Next year iPad 6 and iPhone 6.
I think you're a little confused. The 4S has far more pixels per inch than the iPad mini, though both will look great. The Mini is a new product line, not the iPad 5. Apple will definitely want to differentiate between the two. I wouldn't think having the ipad/iphone release numbers in sync is too high up the priority list Tbh

Of course there are no guarantees that the next full sized ipad will be called the iPad 5. Some are advising you to wait as they're expecting significant changes. Who knows, it's all speculation at the min.

Last edited by BrEaKBEaT; 10-25-2012 at 10:55 AM..
Old 10-25-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:

Let me clear this for everyone. The iPad mini is NOT the ipad 6 it is a different branch, like the iPod nano was to original iPod.

I would say you should get ipad mini or wait for ipad 5, the iPad 5 will have seriously upgraded tech, and design.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:18 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

but if my 4S is better looking regarding ppi than the iPad mini then I'm only gonna go for the iPad 4 since I'm a performance buff.