★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Lets talk real multiplayer (online multiplayer)

06-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Lets talk real multiplayer (online multiplayer)

I have some issues with some of the big developers out there. And frankly, im not too pleased with the consumers for not pointing this out to developers, it seems im the only one! Here is my concern.

How is it that so many big developers neglect to include online multiplayer in their games. Esecpially in games in where online multiplayer is almost essential. Im talking about games such as monopoly for example. BTW, wifi multiplayer means nothing, because it is useless. lets be honest, how many of you have friends who own an idevice and the same game with you in the house so you can play using the wifi multiplayer mode. What really upsets me is that people do not mention this at all. I went and looked at all the reviews for monopoly on itunes and i was the only one who said anything about this!

I started thinking about why they dont include this feature (It was more like justyfing their actions) so I thought to my self, maybe its too costly or too difficult or perhaps even impossible. But its none of these! What makes me say this? Well, there are many developers (small ones too - relativly speaking comapred to EA) who have implemented this! Eurocentre is one such example. they have online multiplayer in a lot of their games ( i have ace tennis and it works pretty well)

So i guess im just frustrated with big develoeprs (EA for example) that make games like monopoly without such essential features and the consumer base is not ever speaking out.

please feel free to comment, am i the only one who thinks this? Is there something wrong in my thinking?
06-18-2009, 06:28 PM
no i agree i have three friends with ipods and it is still hard to play head to head

ssɐ sıɥ dn ɯǝɥʇ ǝʌoɥs puɐ sƃuıɹ dıɥsuoıdɯɐɥɔ sǝıɹǝs plɹoʍ ㄥᄅ sǝǝʞuɐʎ ǝɥʇ ǝʞɐʇ uɐɔ ıpɹɐɹıƃ ǝoɾ

06-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsilverman View Post
I have some issues with some of the big developers out there. And frankly, im not too pleased with the consumers for not pointing this out to developers, it seems im the only one! Here is my concern.

How is it that so many big developers neglect to include online multiplayer in their games. Esecpially in games in where online multiplayer is almost essential. Im talking about games such as monopoly for example. BTW, wifi multiplayer means nothing, because it is useless. lets be honest, how many of you have friends who own an idevice and the same game with you in the house so you can play using the wifi multiplayer mode. What really upsets me is that people do not mention this at all. I went and looked at all the reviews for monopoly on itunes and i was the only one who said anything about this!

I started thinking about why they dont include this feature (It was more like justyfing their actions) so I thought to my self, maybe its too costly or too difficult or perhaps even impossible. But its none of these! What makes me say this? Well, there are many developers (small ones too - relativly speaking comapred to EA) who have implemented this! Eurocentre is one such example. they have online multiplayer in a lot of their games ( i have ace tennis and it works pretty well)

So i guess im just frustrated with big develoeprs (EA for example) that make games like monopoly without such essential features and the consumer base is not ever speaking out.

please feel free to comment, am i the only one who thinks this? Is there something wrong in my thinking?
i agree 100% , to be honest i dont even think about buying games that dont have multiplayer unless its a type of game that really interests me, such as caster or Zenonia.

but if u are looking for some good multiplayer games, F. A. S. T has got to be the best one out right now, especially because there's always people playing it, and its got unlockables and a coming "war" mode.

Top 3 games: Real racing, F.A.S.T, Caster

Check out daily game reviews here>>>>>here<<<<<<<
06-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by somedude445 View Post
i agree 100% , to be honest i dont even think about buying games that dont have multiplayer unless its a type of game that really interests me, such as caster or Zenonia.

but if u are looking for some good multiplayer games, F. A. S. T has got to be the best one out right now, especially because there's always people playing it, and its got unlockables and a coming "war" mode.
OMG, i just checked FAST out. I love it just from the desciption. Thnak you so much. DOWNLOADING NOW!

TO all developers, more online multiplayer games please!!!!
06-18-2009, 06:46 PM
FAST looks ok but it seems more like an mmo mafia type game to me. i hate those games. or is it mostly just a dogfighting xplane that is only online? and does it have peer to peer bluetooth? plz correct me if i am wrong in my previous statements.

Games that i am playing: Rolando 2, Castle of Magic, Peggle, Real Racing, Star Defense, Zenonia, Pocket God(always)
Games i am looking forward to: Kill Test
Plus+ name: Xgamer1224
06-18-2009, 06:55 PM
They are probably putting more effort into the more hard hitting/money making titles instead of spending time on every single title which is a waste of time and money for them but more beneficial to us. To be honest the only reason the keep doing it is that people are still supporting them by buying their products. My 9th grade AP US history teacher always used to tell us how alot of things which could've easily been changed weren't for the simple fact that it works and why change something that is already effective. That is one of the reasons people say if you don't like it don't buy it because if you keep supporting them by buying their game what is their motivation to change it?

Honestly I think if you were put in there position it would be more of a preference and you might not feel the same way. If you are trying to make money in order to keep your job are you going to sell 5 great games with full features or are you going to sell 15 decent games with good features.

You also have to remember there may be some stuff you don't understand and putting multiplayer into a game like monoply or something might take more time and hurt sales. Im sure there was a time schedule they looked at and adding something like multiplayer would cut into their schedule for the year.

It would be interesting if you took awhole bunch of good indie devs and put them in one team, then you would have the quality of the smaller companies and the speed and increased game output of bigger companies. Actually when I think about I think apptreasure is currently doing that.

Playing: HookChamp.WheelersTreasure.BaseballSuperstars2010. SniperVsSniper.RealRacing.
Wanting:Command&Conquer.Madden2010.
WaitingList: SpaceTripper.RoguePlanet.MiniSquadron.R-Type.
06-18-2009, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xgamer1224 View Post
FAST looks ok but it seems more like an mmo mafia type game to me. i hate those games. or is it mostly just a dogfighting xplane that is only online? and does it have peer to peer bluetooth? plz correct me if i am wrong in my previous statements.
How does a game that looks as good as HAWX look like a text based mmo. In all fairness now.

LiamWUL Games Development
Gamecenter: walsh06
06-18-2009, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walsh06 View Post
How does a game that looks as good as HAWX look like a text based mmo. In all fairness now.
well i mean it will play like it as in you constantly hve to play. i dont know im just typing my thoughts.

Games that i am playing: Rolando 2, Castle of Magic, Peggle, Real Racing, Star Defense, Zenonia, Pocket God(always)
Games i am looking forward to: Kill Test
Plus+ name: Xgamer1224
06-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xgamer1224 View Post
well i mean it will play like it as in you constantly hve to play. i dont know im just typing my thoughts.
well not really, thats just this version, they're releasing a war update that will bring full fledged multiplayer with unlockables and stuff. plus its just leaderboards score, any multiplayer game with leaderboards requires u to keep playing if u want to hold onto your rank lol.

but seriously F.A.S.T is tom clancy's hawx but with iphone graphics and a better multiplayer mode (when the update comes out)

ughh it pisses me off so much when good games like this get pushed aside for a cheap knockoff of some stupid ea game that didnt even do well on the consoles.

Top 3 games: Real racing, F.A.S.T, Caster

Check out daily game reviews here>>>>>here<<<<<<<
06-18-2009, 09:29 PM
Send a message via AIM to skamando
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsilverman View Post

Really spot on opinion. I agree whole heartedly. I'm happy with the few online multiplayer games I have like Dinosmash. I'm planing on picking up FAST and Home Run 3D as soon as I get some cash. Those look too good to be true.

Faves: Saucelifter, Westbang, Eliss, Edge, Tilt to Live, Mindwall, Radial 50, Super Quick Hook, Sword of Fargoal, Carcassone, Trainyard.
Playing: Super Mega Worm, Aqueduct, Monster Dash, FASTAR!, Shining Force, Frogatto, The Incident, Dark Nebula Ep. 2.