10-28-2012, 05:28 AM
#11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefJerky View Post
I gave this a go. It looks lovely, far prettier than the previous Hungry Shark games. I find the movement to be a little step down at first though - boost is barely noticeable and the shark is slow and not very smooth. But I think this is because you're supposed to upgrade your shark to improve its abilities. You get coins etc in game (which feels a bit odd to be honest) or can buy currency through IAP. So far, it doesn't seem too stingy with the in-game rewards and yet still the need for these upgrades undermines the game in my opinion. Even just one bout of upgrades shows me that your performance is greatly limited by the state of your shark.

I'll admit I'm not a fan of 'currency' and upgrade style IAPs so I'll often approach this with negativity but some other games do this better where they feel much more like optional added bonuses. It's optional here too of course but still at the core of the game, and that seems to alter the nature of this game in a way that just doesn't contribute positively in my opinion.

IAP aside, it looks lovely and the layout of the places I have been works great. There is the usual Hungry Shark fun to be had here.
Thank you for the review mate,could you explain the "gem" part of the IAP?

Also,how are the controls,since it was said that there's no touch controls available,I guess it's all about tilt?
10-28-2012, 07:30 AM
#12
That's right, it's tilt controls and they're actually pretty good. I wouldn't be a huge fan of tilt controls but I have find they have always worked well in the Hungry Shark games, even on iPad where tilting is a bigger deal.

The gems basically seem to be continues. I had more than three right at the start I think so was able to continue straight away. That's one way the whole nature of the game has changed - in previous games, your play was limited by your own performance. Now with gems you can keep on going. That may not be a bad thing in itself depending on your play style I suppose but it does take away from what was once a level playing field. Still enjoyable to play though - it doesn't take away from the fun of just swimming around eating stuff!

10-28-2012, 09:15 AM
#13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefJerky View Post
That's right, it's tilt controls and they're actually pretty good. I wouldn't be a huge fan of tilt controls but I have find they have always worked well in the Hungry Shark games, even on iPad where tilting is a bigger deal.

The gems basically seem to be continues. I had more than three right at the start I think so was able to continue straight away. That's one way the whole nature of the game has changed - in previous games, your play was limited by your own performance. Now with gems you can keep on going. That may not be a bad thing in itself depending on your play style I suppose but it does take away from what was once a level playing field. Still enjoyable to play though - it doesn't take away from the fun of just swimming around eating stuff!
Thanks for the feedback mate,much appreciated
10-29-2012, 12:11 AM
#14
I bought this today and it is an upgrade in every way to the original (three). The game pacing is slower. The IAP are non-intrusive so far. There are 5 sharks to play, I have unlocked the first three in a day. Soooo much nicer looking. With no hesitation, I would recommend getting this for anyone who liked the first three.
10-29-2012, 02:40 AM
#15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefJerky View Post
I gave this a go. It looks lovely, far prettier than the previous Hungry Shark games. I find the movement to be a little step down at first though - boost is barely noticeable and the shark is slow and not very smooth. But I think this is because you're supposed to upgrade your shark to improve its abilities. You get coins etc in game (which feels a bit odd to be honest) or can buy currency through IAP. So far, it doesn't seem too stingy with the in-game rewards and yet still the need for these upgrades undermines the game in my opinion. Even just one bout of upgrades shows me that your performance is greatly limited by the state of your shark.

I'll admit I'm not a fan of 'currency' and upgrade style IAPs so I'll often approach this with negativity but some other games do this better where they feel much more like optional added bonuses. It's optional here too of course but still at the core of the game, and that seems to alter the nature of this game in a way that just doesn't contribute positively in my opinion.

IAP aside, it looks lovely and the layout of the places I have been works great. There is the usual Hungry Shark fun to be had here.
Very informative post, much appreciated.
10-29-2012, 11:36 AM
#16
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: bavaria
Posts: 1,936
Send a message via Skype™ to mattll
i really liked the first 3 parts but i am on the fence about this one
the iApp thing aint to cool and i think that it may go free in a few days/weeks maybe picking in about if it doesnt til then

Quote:
Wow! You are the Lionel Messi of the Touch Soccer world!!!
i tested 31 games
10-29-2012, 12:37 PM
#17
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: California, USA
Posts: 3,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattll View Post
i really liked the first 3 parts but i am on the fence about this one
the iApp thing aint to cool and i think that it may go free in a few days/weeks maybe picking in about if it doesnt til then
I've been playing this one a while and I really like it! You seem a bit stiff at first but after you level-up to the next sharks, things definitely pick up. The touch controls work great with this kind of game and you have no trouble maneuvering around at all! The IAP for me is always a concern, but here, you pick up coins with some of your 'meals' at a good clip and I've not spent a dime on anything at all! You use your coins to help improve your bite and boost, etc. At first you get a few gems, which allow you to continue after dying, but after that you're on your own unless you buy them. So far I haven't earned those in-game, maybe later you can, I don't know yet. They can be really expensive, too. Say you wanna just get a Great White shark right away, and you'll have to pay literally $50 for 900 gems. Think the shark costs 750 gems. Forget it. Leveling up is easy enough although it kind of IS a grind, but it's fun, so it's not an issue. Graphics are crisp and better than before, and it's satisfying when you eat a swimmer or jam up on the beach to narf down unsuspecting beachgoer and hear them let out their blood-curdling screams! Good game! I recommend it if you like this kind of thing.
10-29-2012, 03:57 PM
#18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrand1 View Post
I've been playing this one a while and I really like it! You seem a bit stiff at first but after you level-up to the next sharks, things definitely pick up. The touch controls work great with this kind of game and you have no trouble maneuvering around at all! The IAP for me is always a concern, but here, you pick up coins with some of your 'meals' at a good clip and I've not spent a dime on anything at all! You use your coins to help improve your bite and boost, etc. At first you get a few gems, which allow you to continue after dying, but after that you're on your own unless you buy them. So far I haven't earned those in-game, maybe later you can, I don't know yet. They can be really expensive, too. Say you wanna just get a Great White shark right away, and you'll have to pay literally $50 for 900 gems. Think the shark costs 750 gems. Forget it. Leveling up is easy enough although it kind of IS a grind, but it's fun, so it's not an issue. Graphics are crisp and better than before, and it's satisfying when you eat a swimmer or jam up on the beach to narf down unsuspecting beachgoer and hear them let out their blood-curdling screams! Good game! I recommend it if you like this kind of thing.
Is the touch-control update live? I read somewhere that this was tilt-only...
10-29-2012, 05:17 PM
#19
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: California, USA
Posts: 3,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualBoyFreak View Post
Is the touch-control update live? I read somewhere that this was tilt-only...
Haven't heard anything about touch controls!
10-30-2012, 12:44 AM
#20
According to Facebook "they're working on it".