★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

In-game purchases

View Poll Results: What do you think about in-game purchases?
I believe that it is a great feature to iPhone gaming. 29 56.86%
I believe that this is a terrible idea. 22 43.14%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll
06-19-2009, 01:19 AM
In-game purchases

Hey guys, with the release of software 3.0, I'm really concerned with games in the future that feature in-game purchases. Literally, in-game purchases is just a way of saying good bye to free updates.

For example, Flick Fishing used to include free updates, which would add new fishing locations and new fish. Suddenly, with the new 3.0 update, we now have to pay $0.99 in order to get a new fishing location and new fish. $0.99 was the price I paid for the entire game!

Furthermore, would this new update mean that we would see more and more incomplete game releases? Fieldrunners was released as an unfinished game - with no sounds and only one map. A few weeks after, a free update was released, which included sounds and two extra maps. Instead of free updates, would we start to have to pay for updates that are made to unfinished games? Would developers take advantage of this and release a game that is only half-finished in order to get more money?

I'm happy to pay for 'extra features' to games, but not for required updates that would make the game 'complete'.

Discuss.
06-19-2009, 01:31 AM
i think a third middle ground option should be added:;p

Plus+ : Tavoss (feel free to add me)

06-19-2009, 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavoss View Post
i think a third middle ground option should be added:;p
absolutely.
06-19-2009, 02:20 AM
Yeah, I feel the exact same way. I'm really worried how this is going to disrupt everything. Just take a look at Xbox Live and how that changed things. There was that whole horse armor issue with Oblivion then soon after all sorts of games started charging for near worthless content. It wouldn't be so bad if it were well developed, high quality additions but a lot of them weren't. The thing about that stuff though is that was all optional. We've been accustomed to some developers providing free updates with new content and bug fixes on the app store. With this new feature some developers will undoubtedly charge for what used to be on the house.

If a huge company like ngmoco sells something bogus (which normally would've been free) there will be so many people bitching that I'm sure they'll think twice before doing it again. I want the developers to make money and stay profitable. I just don't want to have to pay for every single update or be charged for something that I know two months ago would have been complimentary. Just gotta let the developers know the content should be substantial and worth it. Hopefully they don't abuse the feature too much.

Having said that! If a game DID offer something worth while for a small transaction I'd have no problem downloading and being happy with it. I don't take issue with the feature in and of itself, just when it's not being used how it's intended to.

(astrosaurus.com - My iPhone Games Blog)
(@astrosaurusblog - Twitter Account)
06-19-2009, 02:39 AM
You can't look at this in black or white.

back
06-19-2009, 02:48 AM
I like the idea, but it really depends entirely on if the dev wants to be a jerk or not.
06-19-2009, 03:54 AM
The real question is: What happens with your in-app-purchases, when you remove/reinstall the app? What I read is, that the dev (!) can select whether you can redownload the additional content for free or have to rebuy it.

This is a totally no-go for me.

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de
06-19-2009, 04:25 AM
QFT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bat Outta Hell View Post
You can't look at this in black or white.
Of course this systems gives developers the possibility to try and milk money from gamers, but then again no-one is forcing anyone to buy the extra content. It's not like anyone should expect developers to add content for free indefinitely, I actually think apps should be considered "finished" when they arrive in the app-store. Unless the developer actually promises future updates of course.

As for using the Fieldrunner example. Sounds should be free, but frankly the quality of the first map alone was well worth a buck. It is O-N-E D-O-L-L-A-R. Complaining that additional stuff costs more is frankly ridiculous when the asking price is as low as this...
06-19-2009, 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
The real question is: What happens with your in-app-purchases, when you remove/reinstall the app? What I read is, that the dev (!) can select whether you can redownload the additional content for free or have to rebuy it.

This is a totally no-go for me.
There is an option for content to be 'consumable' ie you buy it and it gets used up in game so you can buy more. Think poker chips or game subscription.

For the normal, non-consumable in-app purchase content, like we use in Flick Fishing, you can re-download it for free if you have to re-install your app for any reason. The same as the apps and your songs.

A lot of people are really overthinking and getting their knickers in a twist over nothing with the in-app purchases. What devs will or won't do in the future isn't worth panicking about. If they do evil things, you don't actually have to buy their games or the extra content. If you go on a witch hunt and declare in-app purchases evil before you've even used it, devs will think twice about it and drop plans to keep updating their current games.

Without the option to add extra premium content to the games, there's absolutely no incentive for devs to keep adding content through free updates to a game forever. In fact we're already seeing a lot of games move on to "insert game name here" 2 or even 3 and leaving the previous version obsolete. With the option to keep the current game commercially viable by letting players buy added content, it's worth carrying on updating and expanding the game (with both free and paid content).

In Flick Fishing for example, the game's still expanding its features and content in the free updates. The latest added GameKit peer to peer networking (and an extra mode to Fish Net that we didn't actually mention yet).
06-19-2009, 05:13 AM
Send a message via AIM to kohjingyu
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
QFT:

Of course this systems gives developers the possibility to try and milk money from gamers, but then again no-one is forcing anyone to buy the extra content. It's not like anyone should expect developers to add content for free indefinitely, I actually think apps should be considered "finished" when they arrive in the app-store. Unless the developer actually promises future updates of course.

As for using the Fieldrunner example. Sounds should be free, but frankly the quality of the first map alone was well worth a buck. It is O-N-E D-O-L-L-A-R. Complaining that additional stuff costs more is frankly ridiculous when the asking price is as low as this...
Yup, maps are definately good in app purchases for Fieldrunners.