★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Gaming quality?

10-29-2012, 03:19 AM
Gaming quality?

How do you guys feel, hows the quality of gaming on mobile devices? Does it offer the same or similar kind of quality compared to consoles or PC? And the general quality of games that come out, hows the quantity over quality? Has it become toomuch about monetization?
10-29-2012, 04:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawfle View Post
How do you guys feel, hows the quality of gaming on mobile devices? Does it offer the same or similar kind of quality compared to consoles or PC? And the general quality of games that come out, hows the quantity over quality? Has it become toomuch about monetization?
Quality is comparable to PSN and XBLA titles imo, yes there has become too much focus on monetization (when game designers make it an initial priority you know game is going to suffer), yes it's quantity over quality but the same could be said for any gaming platform and doesn't really hurt the platform.
10-29-2012, 04:15 AM
I dont think you can compare iOS gaming to PC/consoles. Obviously compare it to handhelds.

As iOS gaming is so popular nowadays there is sadly the birth of freemium which has ruined a lot of the 'magic' for me. Then again its our 'own' fault, people wait for sales and for games to be free (Instead of paying a TINY 99c for most games) and then moan when games are freemium.

However people seem to be stupid, dont like paying 99c or 1.99 for a game but when its free a lot 'seem' to then spend a lot on IAP's which turns out more expensive ! Some of the devs mention that they only get say 20 downloads a week, second their game is free theres about 10,000, ridiculous how cheap people are.

The worst type are freemium games where they basically 'force' you to buy upgrades or you cant go any further, theyre the worst ones by far

But i personally think a lot of users are ruining iOS gaming by waiting for price drops/games to go free all the time. The poor devs have to eat and their games arent expensive, thats why sadly many are turning to freemium with IAPs
10-29-2012, 04:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
But i personally think a lot of users are ruining iOS gaming by waiting for price drops/games to go free all the time. The poor devs have to eat and their games arent expensive, thats why sadly many are turning to freemium with IAPs
Couldn't agree more.

Although I think some developers are guilty of feeding this mentality too.