Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 10-30-2012, 03:52 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Why is this bad? Just looks like a watered down Battlehearts clone with Borderlands characters.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:53 PM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
an embargo that isn't up until 9 hours after the game is released in the US.
Wow, it's bad enough that it's already out in other parts of the world but NINE hours after release in the U.S.???? They want those 9 hours of sales before the press crushes it. And that's sad.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:54 PM
iPad

Quote:
This game needs so much more than a simple update. If you want to support the franchise, gift the real game to a friend on Steam or something.
You're right, but man, I'm really torn here. Gifting Borderlands 2 on steam is almost like a validation that, "we shouldn't have tried...see, we told you that these games won't work on the mobile platform". The catch is, they give us CRAP and tell us that it's cake and we should be HAPPY to eat it. Sadly, if we don't stuff our mouths with it, they interpret that as "we don't want it", and stop trying.

Conversely, hell, buying this says, "Man you guys are awesome and this is EXACTLY what we want."

It's disturbing that the wall between developer and audience is so huge. It's like, unless sites like yours advocates for the fans - which even then is a filtered opinion - there's no way to express that this idea *IS* good but the execution is so damnably piss-poor. We DO want an open world twin-stick Borderlands with random loot drops. We DO want an X-Com ish Borderlands that's more strategy-focused. We DO want Borderlands mobile that doesn't try to be an FPS, but plays to the strengths of the touch device.

What we DO NOT want is a really half-assed thoughtless experience that will be inevitably used as a barometer by 2K Games of success on the platform.
Your TA Plays: Borderlands Legends reveals a game that pleases NOONE, which is the worst crime of all since our dollars are so much louder than any message board post...

...but so f'n contradictory to the message that we'd really like to deliver.

Ugh.

So torn.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:03 PM
TouchArcade Janitor
iPhone (Original), iOS 1.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
Wow, it's bad enough that it's already out in other parts of the world but NINE hours after release in the U.S.???? They want those 9 hours of sales before the press crushes it. And that's sad.
The worst part is these big publishers get away with this shit because everyone else is totally willing to bend over backwards and play ball with them. I mean you've watched the PR drip cycle on this release, with everyone posting their vague previews written with a positive tone setting the scene of "Hey, Borderlands Legends is coming and it's pretty A-OK." The second stage of this scheme is (apparently) getting everyone all hopped up to buy the game before the reviews can actually hit revealing that it is, in fact, a bad game.

It sort of drives me crazy that so many other reviews sites go out of their way to champion their high levels of consumer advocacy or whatever then allow themselves to just be putty in the hands of marketing departments. Exclusive first looks are not worth 💩💩💩💩ing over your readers, and I'd rather get completely blacklisted by every PR firm under the sun and have to just buy every game as it's released on the proper App Store than play into their games to exploit our community.

For as much as people who disagree with me about video games on the forums here like to make me out as some kind of villain, there's a lot of me standing up to these sorts of marketing schemes behind the scenes that no one ever sees.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:14 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrco View Post
Why is this bad? Just looks like a watered down Battlehearts clone with Borderlands characters.
Because of expectations and the tag Borderlands attached to it.

Im playing it now, and this would have been a decent game if it wasnt marketed as a Borderlands spinoff. It's less stellar than Battlehearts for sure, but it's pretty average nonetheless. This game actually makes Nun Attack look good, except for the no Retina graphics.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:23 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
The worst part is these big publishers get away with this shit because everyone else is totally willing to bend over backwards and play ball with them. I mean you've watched the PR drip cycle on this release, with everyone posting their vague previews written with a positive tone setting the scene of "Hey, Borderlands Legends is coming and it's pretty A-OK." The second stage of this scheme is (apparently) getting everyone all hopped up to buy the game before the reviews can actually hit revealing that it is, in fact, a bad game.

It sort of drives me crazy that so many other reviews sites go out of their way to champion their high levels of consumer advocacy or whatever then allow themselves to just be putty in the hands of marketing departments. Exclusive first looks are not worth 💩💩💩💩ing over your readers, and I'd rather get completely blacklisted by every PR firm under the sun and have to just buy every game as it's released on the proper App Store than play into their games to exploit our community.

For as much as people who disagree with me about video games on the forums here like to make me out as some kind of villain, there's a lot of me standing up to these sorts of marketing schemes behind the scenes that no one ever sees.
That's quite heartening to know. =)

With regards to Borderlands Legends, I was hoping it was gonna be a TBS, a la XCOM. Ah well.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:34 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

As someone who hasn't played Borderlands 2 but loved the original, would I be able to enjoy this? I feel like most of the dislike is just from disappointment from the high expectations of the new one.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
Here's an idea, maybe they shouldn't have released it in NZ first then. That's just BS.
a.) It doesn`t matter since the Game is still crap and b.) I would have made sure that I get it in no time to get the Gameplay Trailer Online to show the Game in all it`s Glory

Quote:
2K is now asking me to remove all of our video from the site as we're breaking their embargo. It's telling that they want to keep this game a secret with an embargo that isn't up until 9 hours after the game is released in the US.
Getting similar Mails from PR Departments each Week because I release the Gameplay Trailer ahead of the US Launch. I got used to it...

Last edited by Sanuku; 10-30-2012 at 04:39 PM..
Old 10-30-2012, 04:38 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramblett05 View Post
Is battle hearts any good? Is it like epic raiders from gamevil?
Yes, Battleheart is amazing. If you think you'll like the gameplay in this, you will like Battleheart a lot. It is all about strategy rather than surrounding an enemy with your characters like Brad said in the TA Plays.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:39 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramblett05 View Post
Is battle hearts any good? Is it like epic raiders from gamevil?
actually i think is much better specially since there is no iap at all