Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 10-30-2012, 03:52 PM
jsrco jsrco is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 1,491
Default

Why is this bad? Just looks like a watered down Battlehearts clone with Borderlands characters.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 10-30-2012, 03:53 PM
awp69 awp69 is offline
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 8,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
an embargo that isn't up until 9 hours after the game is released in the US.
Wow, it's bad enough that it's already out in other parts of the world but NINE hours after release in the U.S.???? They want those 9 hours of sales before the press crushes it. And that's sad.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 10-30-2012, 03:54 PM
sakinnuso sakinnuso is offline
Senior Member
iPad
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
This game needs so much more than a simple update. If you want to support the franchise, gift the real game to a friend on Steam or something.
You're right, but man, I'm really torn here. Gifting Borderlands 2 on steam is almost like a validation that, "we shouldn't have tried...see, we told you that these games won't work on the mobile platform". The catch is, they give us CRAP and tell us that it's cake and we should be HAPPY to eat it. Sadly, if we don't stuff our mouths with it, they interpret that as "we don't want it", and stop trying.

Conversely, hell, buying this says, "Man you guys are awesome and this is EXACTLY what we want."

It's disturbing that the wall between developer and audience is so huge. It's like, unless sites like yours advocates for the fans - which even then is a filtered opinion - there's no way to express that this idea *IS* good but the execution is so damnably piss-poor. We DO want an open world twin-stick Borderlands with random loot drops. We DO want an X-Com ish Borderlands that's more strategy-focused. We DO want Borderlands mobile that doesn't try to be an FPS, but plays to the strengths of the touch device.

What we DO NOT want is a really half-assed thoughtless experience that will be inevitably used as a barometer by 2K Games of success on the platform.
Your TA Plays: Borderlands Legends reveals a game that pleases NOONE, which is the worst crime of all since our dollars are so much louder than any message board post...

...but so f'n contradictory to the message that we'd really like to deliver.

Ugh.

So torn.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 10-30-2012, 04:03 PM
Eli's Avatar
Eli Eli is offline
TouchArcade Janitor
iPhone (Original), iOS 1.x
 
Join Date: Feb 1983
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 1,267,635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
Wow, it's bad enough that it's already out in other parts of the world but NINE hours after release in the U.S.???? They want those 9 hours of sales before the press crushes it. And that's sad.
The worst part is these big publishers get away with this shit because everyone else is totally willing to bend over backwards and play ball with them. I mean you've watched the PR drip cycle on this release, with everyone posting their vague previews written with a positive tone setting the scene of "Hey, Borderlands Legends is coming and it's pretty A-OK." The second stage of this scheme is (apparently) getting everyone all hopped up to buy the game before the reviews can actually hit revealing that it is, in fact, a bad game.

It sort of drives me crazy that so many other reviews sites go out of their way to champion their high levels of consumer advocacy or whatever then allow themselves to just be putty in the hands of marketing departments. Exclusive first looks are not worth 💩💩💩💩ing over your readers, and I'd rather get completely blacklisted by every PR firm under the sun and have to just buy every game as it's released on the proper App Store than play into their games to exploit our community.

For as much as people who disagree with me about video games on the forums here like to make me out as some kind of villain, there's a lot of me standing up to these sorts of marketing schemes behind the scenes that no one ever sees.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 10-30-2012, 04:14 PM
Exact-Psience Exact-Psience is online now
Senior Member
iPad Air, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 16,725
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrco View Post
Why is this bad? Just looks like a watered down Battlehearts clone with Borderlands characters.
Because of expectations and the tag Borderlands attached to it.

Im playing it now, and this would have been a decent game if it wasnt marketed as a Borderlands spinoff. It's less stellar than Battlehearts for sure, but it's pretty average nonetheless. This game actually makes Nun Attack look good, except for the no Retina graphics.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 10-30-2012, 04:23 PM
Tebius Tebius is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
The worst part is these big publishers get away with this shit because everyone else is totally willing to bend over backwards and play ball with them. I mean you've watched the PR drip cycle on this release, with everyone posting their vague previews written with a positive tone setting the scene of "Hey, Borderlands Legends is coming and it's pretty A-OK." The second stage of this scheme is (apparently) getting everyone all hopped up to buy the game before the reviews can actually hit revealing that it is, in fact, a bad game.

It sort of drives me crazy that so many other reviews sites go out of their way to champion their high levels of consumer advocacy or whatever then allow themselves to just be putty in the hands of marketing departments. Exclusive first looks are not worth 💩💩💩💩ing over your readers, and I'd rather get completely blacklisted by every PR firm under the sun and have to just buy every game as it's released on the proper App Store than play into their games to exploit our community.

For as much as people who disagree with me about video games on the forums here like to make me out as some kind of villain, there's a lot of me standing up to these sorts of marketing schemes behind the scenes that no one ever sees.
That's quite heartening to know. =)

With regards to Borderlands Legends, I was hoping it was gonna be a TBS, a la XCOM. Ah well.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 10-30-2012, 04:34 PM
chimpman252 chimpman252 is offline
Senior Member
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 510
Default

As someone who hasn't played Borderlands 2 but loved the original, would I be able to enjoy this? I feel like most of the dislike is just from disappointment from the high expectations of the new one.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 10-30-2012, 04:35 PM
Sanuku Sanuku is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11,401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
Here's an idea, maybe they shouldn't have released it in NZ first then. That's just BS.
a.) It doesn`t matter since the Game is still crap and b.) I would have made sure that I get it in no time to get the Gameplay Trailer Online to show the Game in all it`s Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
2K is now asking me to remove all of our video from the site as we're breaking their embargo. It's telling that they want to keep this game a secret with an embargo that isn't up until 9 hours after the game is released in the US.
Getting similar Mails from PR Departments each Week because I release the Gameplay Trailer ahead of the US Launch. I got used to it...

Last edited by Sanuku; 10-30-2012 at 04:39 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 10-30-2012, 04:38 PM
[M&B]Games [M&B]Games is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramblett05 View Post
Is battle hearts any good? Is it like epic raiders from gamevil?
Yes, Battleheart is amazing. If you think you'll like the gameplay in this, you will like Battleheart a lot. It is all about strategy rather than surrounding an enemy with your characters like Brad said in the TA Plays.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 10-30-2012, 04:39 PM
Ausar Ausar is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BCN
Posts: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramblett05 View Post
Is battle hearts any good? Is it like epic raiders from gamevil?
actually i think is much better specially since there is no iap at all
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent