Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-01-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeDaddy View Post
Thanks for your quick response. There is one pic appearing to be a timed objective but overall it doesn't seem very prevalent. Hopefully a dev can chime in and confirm or correct. but, so far I like what you've said about how in most of the levels you've come across, you've been taking your time taking down the enemies.
Hello!

As psj3809 said, there are a few secondary objectives on some of the missions where you can destroy a convoy before it escapes.

There are a few missions (mostly later on) which have timed parts as the main objective. In one of them you have to cross a set of bridges before they get blown up!

Don't you like the idea of timed missions?
Old 11-01-2012, 09:13 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDanger View Post
Must admit i'm not super keen on them but so far i havent had any timed ones, if every single mission was timed then it would be annoying but the odd one (as you say a bridge which is about to blow) sounds good.

Game plays really well, hope more people get into this. You 'might' be able to tell i think the games great!
Old 11-01-2012, 09:53 AM
iPad Air, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Hello!

As psj3809 said, there are a few secondary objectives on some of the missions where you can destroy a convoy before it escapes.

There are a few missions (mostly later on) which have timed parts as the main objective. In one of them you have to cross a set of bridges before they get blown up!

I'm at work so I'll make this quick since I don't have a "boss key" ;^)

I guess part of it depends on the genre. For example, “runners” may require a timer as a necessary evil to complete objectives. Generally speaking, as a gamer who spends a good chunk of money a month on iOS swag, I’m not a fan of timed objectives. I do understand how completing them can be used in the determination of the number of stars one receives per level or in the completion of GameCenter achievements, but, I personally don’t like them if they are used as a key component to the overall gaming environment or used as the main element executed to make things appear more suspenseful and fraught with action. I prefer developers finding creative ways to heighten elements of uncertainty and anxiety. Sadly, for many developers, their fallback is to simply tack on a timer on the screen.

In the case of this game, is my understanding correct that it appears that the number of untimed objectives greatly outnumbers those that are timed?

Last edited by ColeDaddy; 11-01-2012 at 11:56 AM..
Old 11-01-2012, 11:33 AM

I can confirm there are a few missions with timed objective's.

pepsi..
Old 11-01-2012, 12:10 PM
iPad

Is it stupid to ask why it's called iBomber Attack if there's no bomber?
Old 11-01-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeDaddy View Post
I'm at work so I'll make this quick since I don't have a "boss key" ;^)

I guess part of it depends on the genre. For example, “runners” may require a timer as a necessary evil to complete objectives. Generally speaking, as a gamer who spends a good chunk of money a month on iOS swag, I’m not a fan of timed objectives. I do understand how completing them can be used in the determination of the number of stars one receives per level or in the completion of GameCenter achievements, but, I personally don’t like them if they are used as a key component to the overall gaming environment or used as the main element executed to make things appear more suspenseful and fraught with action. I prefer developers finding creative ways to heighten elements of uncertainty and anxiety. Sadly, for many developers, their fallback is to simply tack on a timer on the screen.

In the case of this game, is my understanding correct that it appears that the number of untimed objectives greatly outnumbers those that are timed?
Yes, definitely, there are only a few timed objectives in the game.
Most of the timed ones are based on a convoy moving through the level which you can intercept and take out. The convoys are usually triggered when the player gets within a certain range of them.

We were going to have objectives where you had to chase a fast moving "staff car" around the level, but we never had the time to implement it fully, unfortunately, as I quite liked the idea of that ^_^

I know what you mean about "arbitrary timers" in games to inflate the sense of suspense. We definitely tried to avoid that and attempted weave the time based nature of some of the objectives into the game world eg. moving convoys that go from a to b, bridges under attack from the enemy, stuff like that.

You will have to let us know if we succeeded !
Old 11-01-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ View Post
HeHe! Good question!

The first "iBomber" game was called.. "iBomber". All games that came out at the start of the app store had "i" at the beginning of the name ^_^

iBomber sold really well and we wanted to build on that. We stuck with iBomber as a kind of brand recognition I suppose. Me boss would be better able to explain this kind of thing. I is just the programmer type and not to up on that other stuff ^_^
Old 11-01-2012, 12:36 PM
iPad Air, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Yes, definitely, there are only a few timed objectives in the game.
Most of the timed ones are based on a convoy moving through the level which you can intercept and take out. The convoys are usually triggered when the player gets within a certain range of them.

We were going to have objectives where you had to chase a fast moving "staff car" around the level, but we never had the time to implement it fully, unfortunately, as I quite liked the idea of that ^_^

I know what you mean about "arbitrary timers" in games to inflate the sense of suspense. We definitely tried to avoid that and attempted weave the time based nature of some of the objectives into the game world eg. moving convoys that go from a to b, bridges under attack from the enemy, stuff like that.

You will have to let us know if we succeeded !
Thanks for your timely and honest response. I'm handing over my money to you guys after work and buying this game ;^)
Old 11-01-2012, 01:11 PM

Very fun...
Old 11-01-2012, 02:11 PM

Default answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ View Post
It's not stupid to ask.

Since the huge success of the original iBomber we've built all our iBomber games in the same world (look, style, feel, etc.) so if you pick up and play any iBomber game you'll be familiar with game quickly. We're lucky in that iBomber has really good traction as an original brand name also.

In Attack we're extending out the world of iBomber but we've made sure there are still bombs a plenty to drop (and alot more things to play with now aswell).

pepsi..