Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-03-2012, 05:31 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

I don't get why everyone is so surprised about iAP in a FREE game. As good as a game looks, if its price is FREE, I generally don't bother. Of course there are a few exceptions like Jetpack Joyride, etc. but nothing turns me off than seeing the word FREE in an app's description.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:25 AM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by nao View Post
I don't get why everyone is so surprised about iAP in a FREE game. As good as a game looks, if its price is FREE, I generally don't bother. Of course there are a few exceptions like Jetpack Joyride, etc. but nothing turns me off than seeing the word FREE in an app's description.
Nothing wrong with free games, nothing wrong with free games that expect *some* IAP at some point - a lot of my most played games were "free" (I'm far more bothered by the fools who go on all day about how a "free" game works better with $5 of IAP tossed at, duh).

However, there is something very wrong with a free game that clones a $2.99 IAP-free title and makes a far worse game even absent the IAP matters, but then messes it up further by walling off 25% of the characters and ALL the best gear behind a pay-wall that results in a worse game costing dozens of times what the original it ripped off cost. <-That is what people are complaining about, not just that it has IAP.

If nothing else, just consider the inanity of that business model: Battleheart was popular with critics, so the fact that SFH is an inferior clone of that $3 title is going to be made clear in every thread, every review, and every article about SFH. They're basically advertising Battleheart for MikaMobile with this game because at the point you hit the quasi pay wall in this game, you can drop $5 in credits for one character and some consumable powerups or you could go spend $3 and buy 100% of Battleheart. MM is probably thrilled to see a game this clumsily done put out there and getting attention because it drums up interest in their game again.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:59 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Hannum View Post
Nothing wrong with free games, nothing wrong with free games that expect *some* IAP at some point - a lot of my most played games were "free" (I'm far more bothered by the fools who go on all day about how a "free" game works better with $5 of IAP tossed at, duh).

However, there is something very wrong with a free game that clones a $2.99 IAP-free title and makes a far worse game even absent the IAP matters, but then messes it up further by walling off 25% of the characters and ALL the best gear behind a pay-wall that results in a worse game costing dozens of times what the original it ripped off cost. <-That is what people are complaining about, not just that it has IAP.

If nothing else, just consider the inanity of that business model: Battleheart was popular with critics, so the fact that SFH is an inferior clone of that $3 title is going to be made clear in every thread, every review, and every article about SFH. They're basically advertising Battleheart for MikaMobile with this game because at the point you hit the quasi pay wall in this game, you can drop $5 in credits for one character and some consumable powerups or you could go spend $3 and buy 100% of Battleheart. MM is probably thrilled to see a game this clumsily done put out there and getting attention because it drums up interest in their game again.
Hey guys, as I've mentioned a few times we are working with the community to try and create a great game. We've adjusted the difficulty, lowered the fuel requirements, and decreased all of the in-game credit prices. What wall are people hitting now? There are plenty of weapons, armor, trinkets, etc,
for coins only. On my personal account, which I've been playing since yesterday, I am near the end of world 2 and have not made a single IAP.

There's plenty more content to come...coin items included Please keep the questions and comments coming.

Thank you,
Old 11-03-2012, 12:04 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Just to be clear, everyone knows that you can find coin items in the LOOT section of the store, you can sell back items that you have in your inventory and you can upgrade both weapons and armor, right?
Old 11-03-2012, 12:06 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramblett05 View Post
There is a store for coins called loot which I found out yesterday. It's actually fun game just level your equipment and save up money by fighting mid boss over and again. I will say the learning moves or other things could be toned down maybe add new characters with coins being used to unlock not credits and a easier way to earn credits.
Thanks Bramble, perhaps the store wasn't as clear as it could be? We are working on updating this issue.

As for toning down the skills...what exactly do you mean?
Old 11-03-2012, 12:27 PM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrixx View Post
Hey guys, as I've mentioned a few times we are working with the community to try and create a great game.
And I believe you believe this, but I'm telling you, for me, this thing is past saving even outside the IAP matters.

Speaking as someone who doesn't bristle reflexively at IAP, you still missed your target by a wide margin with this game. First off, it's just not even a very good BH clone: nearly everybody is ranged, character models are larger making control a mess, you failed to keep them from overlapping while failing to include any other way of selecting characters, speed of the game is tuned to "encourage" mistakes to encourage consumables like resurrection pills, outside of the cutscenes nearly the entirety of the interface and look is lifted wholesale from BH (even the bizarre, never tuned interface paradigm MM kept even after feedback, e.g. need to back out of the Armory then enter the Equip part to outfit a character, then back out and go into the team screen to switch members, then back out, etc., etc..).

Take away all the IAP tomorrow, and you've still only got a second rate BH "inspired" game with some decent humor in the cut scenes but no soul or originality. The extreme monetization just exacerbates how quickly one loses all sense of forgiveness for the greatly flawed game design. Your guys' Legends of Loot was another such failure in this same vein.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:45 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
And I believe you believe this, but I'm telling you, for me, this thing is past saving even outside the IAP matters.
You know they can do ANYTHING on their game, right? I think you just told a dev he cant improve his game

But the question is, how far are they gonna go, right?
Old 11-03-2012, 01:07 PM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
I think you just told a dev he cant improve his game
They can improve it, but the general design philosophy that comes through loud and clear says it's a safe bet they're not going to be willing to go far enough to make it a good game.

There is ONE interface flourish in this game that is a noticeable improvement over BH: how you get the portraits of your other team mates when you tap and hold on the healer and can instruct it to heal a given team member that way instead of trying to drag into the middle of a fracas.

Everything else is either functionally little different than an asset and text swap from BH, or a step backward/in the wrong direction.

If they want to put in the man hours to make this a good game, I wish them luck, but I expect it's not in their profit model to do so.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:27 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
If they want to put in the man hours to make this a good game, I wish them luck, but I expect it's not in their profit model to do so.
So true. LOL
Old 11-03-2012, 01:39 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Quote:
They can improve it, but the general design philosophy that comes through loud and clear says it's a safe bet they're not going to be willing to go far enough to make it a good game.

There is ONE interface flourish in this game that is a noticeable improvement over BH: how you get the portraits of your other team mates when you tap and hold on the healer and can instruct it to heal a given team member that way instead of trying to drag into the middle of a fracas.

Everything else is either functionally little different than an asset and text swap from BH, or a step backward/in the wrong direction.

So there seems to be some lag issues with the iPod 4th gen and iPhone 4...we are looking into these issues and sorting out a fix.

Glad you appreciate the healer target select UI. Do you feel that a similar mechanic would benefit the other units...targeting an enemy with the same mechanic?

Thank you,