Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 07-15-2012, 07:08 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Default Word Vault - simple addictive new word game for iPhone

Hi everyone,

A couple of weeks ago I released Word Safe on the App Store. It is something I built because I love Boggle but started to get bored of the grid-style Boggle clones.

It's free and you can view a gameplay video on YouTube or just install it here

You can follow it on twitter at @WordSafeApp.

I hope you like it. Positive reviews on the App Store and likes on the YouTube video are of course appreciated. I am having a heck of a time getting it found on the App Store. I also botched the release because I am a developer with no knowledge of marketing.

Criticism and complaints I would be happy to address at wordsafeapp@gmail.com.

Thanks,

Josh

Last edited by adajos12; 11-06-2012 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: app name changed, as did contact info, etc
Old 07-15-2012, 07:16 PM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 4.x

The color scheme is monotonous and dry, but I guess it matches the name "vault" quite well.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:12 AM

I like the look of the game. Actually seems a bit different than the other similar games. I'll go download it and give it a shot.

Best of luck with the game. Always nice to see something new.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:51 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

timedblades

Thanks for the feedback.

I was going for a bleak sort of industrial look along with the "vault" theme. I hoped it would make it stand out a bit from the very colorful cartoonish apps that are out there. But perhaps I can reconsider my color palette with future updates and still go with my theme.

I'm an indie dev working alone so I had to just draw a line in the sand somewhere to release but I've got many more features I'd like to add.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:52 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

quickwit

Thanks, I appreciate it. If the app gets discovered I think it could be popular. It's got an addictive quality about it--even among the few people who have found it thus far I've had a number of people who have played it 40+ times in 1-2 weeks.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:32 PM

Did finally get a chance to play it and the mechanic of the game is very nice. It's simple and easy t pick up.

You can watch the video linked in this thread and get the idea right away. You scroll through letters and try to make words. This is done almost like a combination lock. One real nice touch is that you can have blanks in the word so that you can create more words. After playing a few games I've found a few strategies that help get higher scores.

I also like that there are achievements in the game, but I think most of them are very generic -- though the "crude word" achievement is nice. It would be great to add to the whole "safe cracker" vibe to the game and have some words that we need to find to complete a code that opens up something. It would really add to the replay factor if I knew I was hoping to be able to make a certain word in order to pass through an area of the vault.

The game does provide some differences in allowing you to choose the number of reels that you are moving around.

There are a few other things I'd like to see with the game. First, give me an option to buy my way out of the ads. I hate those and would rather pay a buck to you instead of looking at them. Plus you've put them so close to the pause button that I'm I'm afraid I'll trigger an ad if I pause for a moment.

Give me some sort of indication that time is running out. The clock is so small that it's just not registering enough to me while I play. You can give the screen a little red hue or increase the music... something that let's me know that time is running out.

I think it would be cool to have your score based on the percentage of words found. I don't think this has been done in a game like this and it would be interesting to see that. Also, I'd like a scoreboard with high scores from each of the areas. Game Center is always a plus, but I'm good with anything.

The game is free so there is no reason not to give it a try if you like word games. This one has a nice "spin" on the Boggle genre and could really catch on if people give it a "whirl". Sorry... I waited the whole review to do some puns...
Old 07-16-2012, 10:59 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quickwit,

Thanks for the encouraging feedback. It is obvious that you really used the app and spent some time thinking about good ways to make it better.

It has always been my plan to get an in app purchase to turn off the ads, as well as to add GameCenter support. Unfortunately those things didn't make it into my last update but they are certainly planned.

What I hadn't considered and what I really like is the idea of some sort of special indication that the time is running out--that will really increase the sense of urgency. The red tint and different or faster music could definitely work for that.

I also am intrigued by the idea of adding objectives for finding specific words, I will have to think on that.

I really appreciate your input.

I have a question for you (and any other forum members that care). As a gamer I've always hated integration with Twitter and Facebook in the games I play, the last thing I want to do is clutter up my feeds with that noise. But as a developer who is having difficulty making people aware of my game, that sort of integration to help a game "go viral" seems tempting. Is it a massive turn off to get extra time or powerups for sharing their new high scores on their social networks?

Thanks again,

Josh
Old 07-16-2012, 11:07 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by adajos12 View Post
Is it a massive turn off to get extra time or powerups for sharing their new high scores on their social networks?
In a word: yes.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:02 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

But just to clarify, unobtrusive "Tweet your new high score" buttons aren't a problem so long as you don't have to click them in order to perform better in the game, correct?
Old 07-23-2012, 10:17 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Added the AppInfo deally to the OP.