★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Iphone screen protector or not for gaming

06-19-2009, 04:22 PM
Iphone screen protector or not for gaming

Hello all,

I've always used an InvisibleSheild to protect the screen from little hairline scratches from my fingers. I game a lot and the screen gets a good workout. However, I'm considering not putting one on my new 3GS.

For those not using a screen protector, has your iPhone/Touch gotten a lot of scratches from your fingers or has it not been a problem?

Thanks for your comments.

Have a good weekend.
06-19-2009, 04:25 PM
Wrong section.

And I would 100% recommend a screen protector. It doesn't interfere with gaming. You can hardly notice it. Unless you want fingerprint smudges, scratches, and all kinds of debris and other things all over your screen. Me? No thanks. I'll stick with the screen protector that costs me 2 bucks in comparison to paying for a much more expensive screen and in extension, the iPhone/iPod itself.

GameCenter: xVietx - Add me
Sorry, I'm dead.

06-19-2009, 04:27 PM
I've had my ipod touch 1g for about a year now, and I never got around to buying a screen protector. However, after a year, it doesn't have a single visible scratch, and I've found that when I used other ipods with screen protectors, it feels really unnatural, so I probably won't ever get one. Anyway, screen's durable enough that scratches have never been an issue
06-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Password View Post
I've had my ipod touch 1g for about a year now, and I never got around to buying a screen protector. However, after a year, it doesn't have a single visible scratch, and I've found that when I used other ipods with screen protectors, it feels really unnatural, so I probably won't ever get one. Anyway, screen's durable enough that scratches have never been an issue
I don't mean just scratches. I mean smudges and imprints that mess up the visuals. I hate to look at a screen and play a game full of smudges. YOu can try to get it off but it'll happen again and again.

GameCenter: xVietx - Add me
Sorry, I'm dead.
06-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Yea, I don't have a screen protector, and it's been many months, with no scratches. And when I see smudges, I just pause the game, grab a tissue, wet it a little, then wipe =P I attempted to put on the one that came with my case, but I couldn't get out all the bubbles, so I just gave up lmfao...
06-19-2009, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by willmeek View Post
Hello all,

I've always used an InvisibleSheild to protect the screen from little hairline scratches from my fingers. I game a lot and the screen gets a good workout. However, I'm considering not putting one on my new 3GS.

For those not using a screen protector, has your iPhone/Touch gotten a lot of scratches from your fingers or has it not been a problem?

Thanks for your comments.

Have a good weekend.
The oleophobic coating on the 3Gs should help with fingerprints and oils but not scratches. The iDevice is an expensive piece of gadgetry and personally I'd do everything I could to protect it to keep it looking new and for resale value, if you ever decide to sell it when a new device hits the market.

1) Tried out AT&T tethering and did not have enough money for the pole.
2) Apple still hasn't fixed the no-hardware-keyboard bug.
3) Still can't use the "Cut" function on the AT&T bill...current 4.x issues
06-19-2009, 04:33 PM
I thought everyone knew that the iPhone and iPod Touch have scratch proof glass. I guess not. Don't bother with a screen protector, it doesn't need it.

There are videos of people taking to iPhone screens with keys, and no damage.

Apple designed it so that you could put it in your bag or pocket and not need a screen protector.

So no, soft little fingers are not going to damage it at all. In fact, in my experience with screen protectors, they make smudges are MORE annoying to wipe off.
06-19-2009, 04:35 PM
I've never found smudges or fingerprints to be a problem when playing, even though sometimes I'll look at it from an angle and notice a few. If I do, I just wipe it with my shirt and it's okay. Even if it was a problem, id on't know if I could give up the natural feel of the screen for the somewhat rough feel of a screen protector
06-19-2009, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by accidental View Post
I thought everyone knew that the iPhone and iPod Touch have scratch proof glass. I guess not. Don't bother with a screen protector, it doesn't need it.

Apple designed it so that you could put it in your bag or pocket and not need a screen protector.

So no, soft little fingers are not going to damage it at all. In fact, in my experience with screen protectors, they make smudges are MORE annoying to wipe off.
Those videos all have the invsible shield on it. Take a key to your idevice and see what happens.
06-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by accidental View Post

It is not scratch proof, there have been articles about it. Yes people have found ways to scratch the iPhone screen, google it.

1) Tried out AT&T tethering and did not have enough money for the pole.
2) Apple still hasn't fixed the no-hardware-keyboard bug.
3) Still can't use the "Cut" function on the AT&T bill...current 4.x issues