★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

The REAL reason great games keep dropping in price to $0.99?

06-19-2009, 04:42 PM
The REAL reason great games keep dropping in price to $0.99?

I have a feeling in my gut that the only reason that all these great games keep dropping in price is because the new 3.0 software allows the developers to charge us for in game purchases!

It makes perfect sense that you drop the price of a game to $0.99 in order to get a ton of people to buy your unfinished game and once you have them invested you bait and switch people into buying more levels...

It seems like the days of buying an application and getting more levels for free is over, I'll have to see how it plays out but it makes me worried to buy any application when I know that the developer isnt going to work on it at all unless you pay them more than you bought it for.

Some games I bought for $0.99 I wouldnt have paid any more for but I relied on updates to fulfill the expectation created by the developer (an example being Sparta). I wouldnt have bought Sparta if I didnt know that free future updates are coming out to make it better, but if the developer said that "future updates will cost $2 each level" I wouldnt have bought it at all.

Looks like I'll be relying on the opinions of BigAlbie, Hodapp, and Arn even more heavily in the future since I dont like where the appstore is headed.
06-19-2009, 04:44 PM
I really don't think that Let's Golf, Asphalt 4, or Peggle will have in app purchases...

06-19-2009, 04:48 PM
just make sure you buy games that are already complete. If a game can keep me latched on long enough in this app store to where I want the extra level packs or dlc I figure I'll be more than happy to continue to support. But if they release a half azzed game, and try to sell me double the levels and more control options I'm gonna look right over it, if they screw you once, they'll do it again
06-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbfan1192 View Post
I really don't think that Let's Golf, Asphalt 4, or Peggle will have in app purchases...
Personally I think every game in the appstore will eventually have in game purchasing. Why would developers ignore such a cash cow where instead of having to develop entirely new games you could just come out with some more levels and get another round of money?

Lets golf : come out with some new fairways
Asphalt 4: come out with some new racetracks
Peggle: come out with new levels

These are just examples and I dont mind if they come out with something revolutionary but I think thats a big complain people have with the iPhone when it came out... coming out with something unfinished just so that later on you could come out with an "update" which should have been there from the beginning and charge the customer again.
06-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by appreview123 View Post
I have a feeling in my gut that the only reason that all these great games keep dropping in price is because the new 3.0 software allows the developers to charge us for in game purchases!

It makes perfect sense that you drop the price of a game to $0.99 in order to get a ton of people to buy your unfinished game and once you have them invested you bait and switch people into buying more levels...

It seems like the days of buying an application and getting more levels for free is over, I'll have to see how it plays out but it makes me worried to buy any application when I know that the developer isnt going to work on it at all unless you pay them more than you bought it for.

Some games I bought for $0.99 I wouldnt have paid any more for but I relied on updates to fulfill the expectation created by the developer (an example being Sparta). I wouldnt have bought Sparta if I didnt know that free future updates are coming out to make it better, but if the developer said that "future updates will cost $2 each level" I wouldnt have bought it at all.

Looks like I'll be relying on the opinions of BigAlbie, Hodapp, and Arn even more heavily in the future since I dont like where the appstore is headed.
Or maybe they're dropping their price to get more sales. Plus the new iPhone came out, so they want to get the attention of the new app store consumers.

I'm with you though, I am a bit worried with these low prices but I know there are those devs out there that I can trust

1GiT
plus+: jTE
06-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by appreview123 View Post
Personally I think every game in the appstore will eventually have in game purchasing. Why would developers ignore such a cash cow where instead of having to develop entirely new games you could just come out with some more levels and get another round of money?

Lets golf : come out with some new fairways
Asphalt 4: come out with some new racetracks
Peggle: come out with new levels

These are just examples and I dont mind if they come out with something revolutionary but I think thats a big complain people have with the iPhone when it came out... coming out with something unfinished just so that later on you could come out with an "update" which should have been there from the beginning and charge the customer again.
Asphalt has been in the appstore since the first months. It was one of the first racers. I think the only reason they dropped the price was because of the upcoming Asphalt 5 release that will have many 3.0 functions.

Let's Golf is try to compete with Tiger. EA dropped the price of NFS when Real Racing started beating it in the top 50. That is just a result of competition.

Peggle was just a 3 day (?) promotion to get a boost in sales.

I really think you are overreacting. We still haven't seen any signs of abuse yet. The DLC that I bought for Flick Fishing was a worthy addition to a great game. It is well worth it to support the developer now that the game has been out for a long, and is still being updated for no cost.
I think we have enough threads about this as it is. Please no one else make another.
06-19-2009, 05:10 PM
You're all wrong.

The REAL reason is there's a conspiracy among the big name developers to slowly phase out all the indie devs into the oblivion by making their super polished games the same price as the homegrown ones, thus forcing the smaller developers to be unable to compete.

Once there's only big name developers making games, then they can all jack up their prices to 30 dollars for a fart app, and there'll be nothing we can do about it.

/sarcasm
06-19-2009, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDubby94 View Post
You're all wrong.

The REAL reason is there's a conspiracy among the big name developers to slowly phase out all the indie devs into the oblivion by making their super polished games the same price as the homegrown ones, thus forcing the smaller developers to be unable to compete.

Once there's only big name developers making games, then they can all jack up their prices to 30 dollars for a fart app, and there'll be nothing we can do about it.
We could not buy it

1GiT
06-19-2009, 05:12 PM
Problem is that in-game purchases are probably making more sense for expensive apps like sims3 since people tend to delete 0.99 apps pretty fast, and will never see the new stuff being available.
06-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber View Post
Problem is that in-game purchases are probably making more sense for expensive apps like sims3 since people tend to delete 0.99 apps pretty fast, and will never see the new stuff being available.
Yeah but after paying $9.99, how much more will you be willing to pay? As opposed to paying $0.99?

If you ask me, I'd be more happy to buy DLC for a $0.99 game.

1GiT